Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Cool Please, test if your Paperwhite has this bug

Hello.

I've contacted Amazon to report a bug that does not permit Kindle shutting down, and what I'm being offered is a replacement. But before going to this, I woud like to know if it is really my device, as support wants me to believe, or if it may be a software bug.

I can't test another Paperwhites and not even my Paperwhite in another computers, so I'd like anyone with some time and disposition to try the following.

When the computer is shutted down while Kindle Paperwhite is charging in
it, Kindle will not turn off, not to screensaver, not even to the blank
screen. A power button reset or settings > restart is necessary.

Here is what I do and, below, the computer configuration in which I proved these 4 steps multiple times:

Spoiler:

1. Connect the Paperwhite to a fully started Windows 7 computer.

2. After it is recognized, eject it by software. Paperwhite is now on,
functional to use and charging.

3. Shut down your computer.

4. Now, Paperwhite will not turn off.

I've done this with a Vaio VPCF234FX laptop, in a USB3 port, using Calibre
to eject it.

EDIT: I've come to see it's a bug with USB3. My laptop has a USB2 port and it went normally by there in any shutdown procedure, but usually it's occupied by my mouse, and with USB3 the Kindle thing comes crazy.

Thank you very much, Talldog.

Last edited by Antoinekamel; 10-20-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: New information.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I followed your procedure with an HP Pavilion dv3500 laptop and my Paperwhite turned off normally.

I should note that this laptop doesn't have Calibre and I did a normal eject from the system tray.

Last edited by Talldog; 10-20-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Clarification
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Mine worked okay.

I connected it to a Windows 7 (Professional) HP desktop, "ejected it" by using the system tray tool ("Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media"), then put my computer to sleep. I was able to turn the Kindle off after that (both by closing the cover and by using the power button.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm guessing it's because of a USB port still powered on when the computer's shutdown.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Mine worked okay.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'm guessing it's because of a USB port still powered on when the computer's shutdown.
Doing the exactly same procedure on my Kindle Touch is perfect. I was eligible for a replacement by chat, but Amazon does not deliver to Brazil.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Doing the exactly same procedure on my Kindle Touch is perfect. I was eligible for a replacement by chat, but Amazon does not deliver to Brazil.
Did you try a factory reset? There are some things you can try. Instead of ejecting it from Calibre go to my computer and eject it that way. Try a different USB cable or finally use your Cell phone charger instead to charge it at the wall. You can charge the Kindle
with any microusb charger. I've used my Kindle Fire, Cell phones chargers and even a cheap $10 plug I picked up at my local gas station.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote