Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
LittleLui
LittleLui began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
[Resolved itself] Kindle Touch bricked?

Update: The issue disappeared completely while i was trying to get usbnetworking running again (by putting the usbnetworking installer bin and a suitable runme.sh (simply a call to usbnetworking.sh) into the usb-mass-storage root and rebooting). As that only resulted in "update didn't work, update error: 3" i'm pretty sure that this was not what resolved the issue.
Anyways, the home screen simply started to work again (of course from there i could then start usbnetworking again to carefully reduce the suspected troublemaker (-DMinimumKindletTimeoutMillis).

Original message:

Hey everyone.

I was happily hacking away on my little project, copying my azw2 (with a nice little WIP app, doing some simple UI testing).

I had cvm configured in /etc/upstart/framework to be in debug mode, dont-suspend-at-start (suspend=n) and with a rather long delay before killing unresponsive apps (last part in the line where debugging is configured).

This development mode worked very nicely for a few days, but today after a few develop-deploy-test cycles, the home screen started crashing on launch, giving the "Unable to Start Application - The selected application could not be started. Please try again." message. I was connected via usbnetworking, and after a few tries to get it working again, "don't try hard, restart" came to my mind. I did so, but big mistake: of course after the "shutdown -r now" the thing came back up with usbnetworking disabled and the home screen still crashing.

Twenty-Second power-button reset doesn't help either (reboots, but home screen problem persists).

I suspect the problem might be related to my changing /etc/upstart/framework (in particular the kill-delay), but am not sure. Sometimes, the message takes a long time to appear, sometimes it doesn't appear at all.

USB Mass Storage still works nicely.

Any chance of getting usbnetworking up and running again, or of changing /etc/upstart/framework back to the original (of which i have a copy) some other way? My first thought was: just re-apply the jailbreak and start usbnetworking via the password-changing shellscript, but of course i can't play an mp3 without the homescreen

Last edited by LittleLui; 12-20-2011 at 06:43 PM.
LittleLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am wondering what is the code 3 in message "UPDATE ERROR: 3" means? I see only codes from 0 to 2 and from 4 to 9 in otaup shell script.

My KT is also "bricked" so that it goes in booting until picture with tree, but then progress bar doesn't shows up and here boot is seemingly freezes. Though Kindle connects to my Wifi AP successfully. And Kindle still could be seen as USB disk when connected to computer.

I've installed Yifan Lu's jailbreak and simple_usbnet_1.1 long before the "brick" but obviously can't enable it now as GUI doesn't shows up. Now I'm waiting for serial adapter, meantime looking in my mmcblk0 dump for the possibility of executing shell code (I need at least "iptables ..." for opening SSH port for wlan0) via some file on FAT partition or through installer shell script in update bundle.

Both attempts are unsuccessful so far. And update bundle is seen by Kindle after "hard reset", but update process is finished with "UPDATE ERROR: 3" (I've used install_simple_usbnet_1.1 bundle just for POC).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
"UPDATE ERROR: 3" - Can't verify update file signature. This error will appear when you try to install updates in Reboot mode (not via GUI: "Update Kindle" command).
You can't install updates via Reboot (Jailbreak not work in this case)
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast
MatzeMatz began at the beginning.

As I posted here:
[Kindle Touch] Localization
I've also the problem that my Touch device does not boot any longer

And I also tried to put the usbnet_1.1 bundle to the USB drive and (of course) it showed me the "UPDATE ERROR: 3".

Do you see any chance to make my device working again without serial interface?

Maybe any update bundle which enables to reset it to factory settings?
Or any other suggestions how can enable usb- or WiFi-networking to go to the device and resolve the problem directly on the device?

BTW, I think it does not to execute the runme.sh script - otherwise this would be a solution...
MatzeMatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who somehow found this thread as first in their search for debricking solution: I've successfully revived my KT with the method involved data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh and described in wiki and initial forum post.

Last edited by eureka; 12-30-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert