Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
ViewSonic gTablet Is Today’s Woot.com Deal, Only $279.99

ViewSonic gTablet Is Today’s Woot.com Deal, Only $279.99

On the woot home page.
http://www.woot.com/

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Has anyone here actually used one of these? I'm very tempted (hey, that huge world of poker game would actually load on it, unlike my phone, that doesn't have enough free space for it).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't but what I've heard across the board is that the default software is no good, one has to root it and install a custom ROM,then it's a great device.

=X=
Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmmmm ... perhaps I'll wait for Amazon, instead.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I was wondering myself about this. It's gotten good reviews, except for reservations about the OS. What app would one use for reading epubs on an Android tablet?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
There are a plethora of reading apps available. Kindle, B&N, eReader, Overdrive, Aldiko, Moon+, CoolReader and I even think Sony has an app.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I was wondering myself about this. It's gotten good reviews, except for reservations about the OS. What app would one use for reading epubs on an Android tablet?
I use Aldiko and it works very well - I've heard good reports of other apps, too but I don't see the point to having multiple ePub readers as it's bad enough having to use different readers for different formats.

One plus for Aldiko is that it supports both ADE and B&N DRM on ePub.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Bernard has a very comprehensive list (link)of readers for the Android platform and covers ALL the formats.

To answer your question the top three ePUB readers seem to be Alkdio, Moon+, and CoolReader.

Personally I like and use Moon+ Pro. It has more features than you can shake a stick at, but very easy to use.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Any idea how much the replacement ROM costs to get the tablet to a functional state? (since, by saying "new rom", that implies a physical ROM, rather than doing a flash upgrade, which would also probably require the equipment for flashing them or purchase of a flashed ROM ....).

Last edited by koland; 03-23-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard

I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing the cost is $0. I'm not using the term ROM in the purest sense. I'm using it in the context of how the image of a ROM.

Over at the XDA forums there have links to custom roms as well as Factory ROM. You have to download the ROM and then do whatever install process is necessary to update the ROM.

Usually the work required to ROM is not that much or difficult. It's really understanding the instructions that is hard. I've ROMed my phone and Nook and they all took about 20min. However the research took hours.

Here is a link to the XDA site where you can find better andwers to your questions.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=844

=X=
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. I found a bit of it on my own (and people there who descended on WOOT to get 2nd tablets), but decided I'd hold off, for now. There were a lot of complaints on the video and angled viewing, plus it looks like their new tablet is coming out next month...
Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
It came around on woot again today and I just couldn't resist any more. I ordered it. One of the first things I want to try, is using it as a reader. But since woot uses Smartpost, it'll probably be at least two weeks before I get it. That is the woot disadvantage.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Got the g Tablet for $249.99 on eBay from Tiger Direct with free shipping. Best deal going. Not sure how long they will last at this price.

Sorry, price is back up to $279.99

Last edited by obsessed2; 06-09-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Price change
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Well, for what it's worth, I did get my gTablet from woot, and have been playing with it. I have not installed an aftermarket ROM - I am just using it with the stock OS. I installed Aldiko and I've been reading on it. It works just fine; I'm happy with it. The biggest complaint I have is that it's heavier than my eInk readers and the viewing angle is such that you do have to hold it at the correct angle, which is annoying because of the size and weight. I sit on the sofa, put a pillow on my lap, and rest the tablet on the pillow. It's nice that I don't have to turn on an extra light. I find I like it best in landscape mode with two columns, like an open book.

For carrying around and traveling, the eInk readers are better as readers - you don't have to carry a charger because they don't need daily charging, and they're more comfortable to hold in a variety of situations.

But the tablet works just fine and is super nifty. I need to play with it some more, try out some other things besides reading, because it's a more versatile device and I could learn to do something else with it. But I love to read; I find the books distracting enough that I haven't yet gotten any farther.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote