Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Screenshot Capability?

I continue to be amazed at how few E-Ink based ebook readers include a screenshot (make a copy of the screen bitmap) utility. So far only the iLiad (screenshot utility provided by users of the device) and the Kindle (one of several undocumented features) provide one. It is no accident that these are precisely the devices I own.

In the IRC channel logs I saw some indications of a screenshot program for OpenInkPot. Does one exist? It isn't documented in the user's manual.

One of the most important uses of the screenshot is to document the user interface. This is particularly significant for everyone, like me, without the right hardware to run OpenInkPot. It takes some time to make the screenshots, but it is easier than describing everything in words and can be a great advertisement for the software.

I will be buying an EZ Reader as soon as it is available, because I prefer a US-based repair service, with the intent to run OpenInkPot on it. If a screenshot utility is available by then I'll be happy to contribute to a screenshot based howto for OpenInkPot.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
AFAIK, a screenshot program for OpenInkpot doesn't exist yet. But you can run this command on your desktop linux computer to take a screenshot on V3:

Code:
DISPLAY=192.168.111.1:0 import -window root screenshot.png
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The binary and (GPLed) source code for fbshot on the iLiad is available here. It is typically used by invoking a shell script which writes the image to a filename that includes the date after a 30 seconds delay (to allow you to get to the needed screen). See fbshot via the contentlister.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Thanks! It should be easy to make it run on OpenInkpot.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
AFAIK, a screenshot program for OpenInkpot doesn't exist yet. But you can run this command on your desktop linux computer to take a screenshot on V3:
Code:
DISPLAY=192.168.111.1:0 import -window root screenshot.png
Fore reference: on the Iliad you have to enable access to the xserver in order to do that. It involves a modification to /home/root/start.sh
Code:
< /usr/bin/Xfbdev -screen 768x1024x8 -3button -dpi 160 -br -nolisten tcp &
> /usr/bin/Xfbdev -screen 768x1024x8 -3button -dpi 160 -br -ac&
h.t.h. somebody, took me a while to figure it out...
Happy 2009!