Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Out of 100 attempted page turns, how many times doesn't the page turn?
0 10 10.00%
1 8 8.00%
2 6 6.00%
3 6 6.00%
4 or 5 21 21.00%
6 to 9 15 15.00%
10 or more 34 34.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
David732
David732 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch
It's not constant for me, but there are times where it's nearly every page, and times when I don't notice it for hundreds of pages. I'll have to check if it's related to where I tap next time.
David732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #17
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
danskmacabre I don't understand it either.

I am the first to admit my lack of techo geeky knowledge but I am at a loss to explain why the same firmware update should improve your situation and make mine much worse.
This of course assumes that you haven't mysteriously adopted some new tapping technique (without noticing) that has elimated your previous problem and at exactly the same time I have developed a sloppy lazy tap (when I have been successfully turning pages for 6 months!)

It's just all too weird for me.

Last edited by HarleyB; 02-05-2012 at 02:09 AM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #18
Kamu
Kamu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
At the end of every chapter of this ePub I am reading that is stored on the device's memory, I tap once and then nothing happens. I tap again and it turns two pages. Is this a common bug for people? Running the latest firmware. Bought the Kobo a few days ago.
Kamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
scrawl
scrawl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
New Kobo Touch user here. I've been using it daily for a week now and the inconsistent tapping / page turning is definitely noticeable for me. Every 5-8 page turns or so.

It's reaching a point where I'm no longer really enjoying using the device. Is this a common issue across all touch screen e-readers?
scrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #20
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I am the first to admit my lack of techo geeky knowledge but I am at a loss to explain why the same firmware update should improve your situation and make mine much worse.
I store all my ebooks on an SD card and it's a 2GB card. I had loads of issues using a larger storage card and gave up on that.
Apart from that, everything else is standard.
I would add that I downloaded some free gutenberg books to my KT and some of them played havoc with it, causing it to crash etc..
After I deleted them it worked fine. So I think that maybe badly made ePUBs can cause problems.

Quote:
This of course assumes that you haven't mysteriously adopted some new tapping technique (without noticing) that has elimated your previous problem and at exactly the same time I have developed a sloppy lazy tap (when I have been successfully turning pages for 6 months!)
I'm afraid I haven't developed and Jedi KT tapping powers to ensure consistent page turning.
I find if I tap it really quickly, it misses page turns, but a firm tap seems to work very well and I generally tap it to the centre right of the screen.
but if it WAS working ok for you and now isn't after a firmware update, then it makes sense to assume it's the firmware that's changed something.

I DO think that low quality epubs can affect the performance of the KT.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #21
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I got my KT less than a week ago. First thing it did when I connected it to the computer was to upgrade the firmware. So I am on 1.9.16

I get no response to a page turn fairly often, but when I do, quite often it just won't turn no matter how often I tap. Sometimes turning BACK a page then forward seems to make it work again. Also (and I may be imagining it) it seems to be worse near the end of my first book - page 250 of 350 approx.

This is horrible. Without reading every thread here... is this something they have acknowledged and are trying to fix?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Wendy
Neverland resident
Wendy began at the beginning.

Mine usually works fine. It's quite rare that I have to double-tap to make it react and after that it turns the pages fine again. I voted for 3 even though there's no way of telling. It might be one out of 100 or five... still, I'm very happy with the page turning.
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Mine usually works fine. It's quite rare that I have to double-tap to make it react and after that it turns the pages fine again. I voted for 3 even though there's no way of telling. It might be one out of 100 or five... still, I'm very happy with the page turning.
I wouldn't mind occasionally having to tap it twice, but it gets in a state where it just won't turn the page at all. Most reliable fix for me seems to be to bring up the panel at the bottom and go to the page turning bar, and move it along using that - just once - then it's back to normal for a while.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Jay001
Jay001 began at the beginning.

I voted for more than 10.
Jay001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
NectarPlaitis
NectarPlaitis began at the beginning.

Thumbs down Page Turns

Quite disappointed.

Purchased 4 of these devices for the family. All devices have the same problem. I'm really not interested in anything other than "reading" on a eReader.

If the reader can't properly turn the page, then what is it good for!
NectarPlaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
With this version my page turn problem was more pages not turning than having double page turns. After reading a few books my page turning touch has adapted so I again have reliable page turns. But page turns don't seem as responsive as slower touch is needed for turning page.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
With this version my page turn problem was more pages not turning than having double page turns. After reading a few books my page turning touch has adapted so I again have reliable page turns. But page turns don't seem as responsive as slower touch is needed for turning page.
Slower touch does help, I agree. Still it isn't foolproof, mine has locked up so bad trying to turn a page, that I had to reset it, and it came back demanding to be setup all over again.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
fish99
fish99 is on a distinguished road

Device: Touch&Glo
Picked up a Kobo Touch a week ago and no surprise it has this problem. I'm definitely getting the impression the problem gets worse the longer the device is on and the more page turns you do, so eventually after a few hundred pages it stops responding to page turns at all, and sometimes the whole touch screen doesn't respond. At this point a reboot is needed to get everything working again.

I'd have to figure there'a a memory leak or something. If it's just the IR touchscreen, I don't see why it would get worse the more turns you do, so it feels like a software problem. If it's a software problem though, surely it should be fixed by now.
fish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #29
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
Picked up a Kobo Touch a week ago and no surprise it has this problem. I'm definitely getting the impression the problem gets worse the longer the device is on and the more page turns you do, so eventually after a few hundred pages it stops responding to page turns at all, and sometimes the whole touch screen doesn't respond. At this point a reboot is needed to get everything working again.

I'd have to figure there'a a memory leak or something. If it's just the IR touchscreen, I don't see why it would get worse the more turns you do, so it feels like a software problem. If it's a software problem though, surely it should be fixed by now.
I am having less problems with mine now I have set it to turn off completely after 30 minutes. This means, nearly every time I start a reading session, it has to boot up from cold, and it seems a lot more reliable. This ties in with your memory leak theory too.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #30
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
The fact there doesn't seem to be the same issue with the Kindle or Sony touch screen readers would suggest it's software related too wouldn't it? What do you mean by memory leak though?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote