Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
drc123
drc123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unable to email to Kindle from Calibre

Hello - I was directed here by the Calibre Facebook page. I am unable to email books from Calibre to my Kindle 3. I get an error telling me the SMTP Server is disconnected - is this an error on my end? I was able to do it last week but have been getting this error for the last two days. I reviewed previous posts here but didn't find a resolution.

TIA

Last edited by drc123; 03-20-2011 at 06:54 PM.
drc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Just sent a freebee over to my Kindle from Calibre's folder... worked fine. I'm ASSUMING you are adding the book as an attachement and using your XXXXX@kindle.com...

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
drc123

I must still be doing something wrong - I just tried sending a freebie to the K3 and got this error message, the same one I get when I'm trying to send anything to it now. I can send to gmail just fine, so I'm perplexed. I successfully used @free.kindle.com before. Is there something special I have to do to send it as an attachment?

Email Eye of the Witch to xxxxxx@free.kindle.com

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 117, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 171, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 117, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 171, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If you haven't, there is also a Calibre subforum (a bit down the forum list) where you might get even more help.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
drc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
If you haven't, there is also a Calibre subforum (a bit down the forum list) where you might get even more help.
Thank you - I hadn't, but I'll post it there.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Some mail servers see a direct connection from Calibre's smtp service as a potential spammer and drop the connection. Especially Amazon servers when sending to your name@kindle.com or name@free.kindle.com. You probably need to jump through a few hoops first.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was unable to use my verizon.net email address (even though it's on my Kindle allow list) and ended up using my Gmail account.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe Calibre can be configured to use your ISP's (or gmail/hotmail's) smtp server which will avoid most issues like this.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try using:xxxx@kindle.com..... instead of: xxxxxx@free.kindle.com. I've never used the @free.kindle.com myself. Are you sending it as a .mobi book I assume?

Certainly I don't get charged for using my xxx@kindle.com.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer
Try using:xxxx@kindle.com..... instead of: xxxxxx@free.kindle.com. I've never used the @free.kindle.com myself. Are you sending it as a .mobi book I assume?

Certainly I don't get charged for using my xxx@kindle.com.
That's probably because you have a WiFi only Kindle 3. Kindle 1 & 2 owners -- and Kindle 3 3G+WiFi owners who happen to get caught outside a WiFi zone -- will absolutely get charged for emails sent to their xxx@kindle.com address over 3G.

Bad advice.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
brutalist
brutalist began at the beginning.

hello there
starting last week, verizon smtp server started rejecting emails from calibre to name@kindle.com, labeling them as a potential spam.
brutalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I couldn't send emails from my rr.com account either. I use my @gmail.com account to send to my@kindle.com address. It works great!

But it was a puzzler for a while.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote