Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I've also heard that zipping with zero compression may speed things up.
I actually tried that... but it didn't really make any difference. There is a little bit of randomness in the time it takes to load a file (since there is other stuff happening on the device at the same time), and the overhead of decompressing is smaller than that.

The real performance killers are PNGs that are just too big (as the image passes about 2-2.5MB it starts taking longer than 2 seconds to load the PNG), and progressive JPEGs.

My performance on a real device with a compressed zip, and baseline JPEGs of up to 1600 pixels high is about 2-3 seconds the load the comic once UDS is running, and at most about 1-1.2 seconds to turn a page when I managed to empty the cache by spamming the 'next page' button. If the page is in the cache, it should be instant.

If you are getting a lag of ~3 seconds or longer to switch a page, progressive JPEGs are your likely culprit.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #17
superhero
Enthusiast
superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505, B&N Nook, Sony Daily Edition, iRex Reader
This plugin works GREAT! I converted a several comics into CBZ format and they all work perfectly. Mine load and page flip very fast.

Now if only there was a way to get CBRs to work I could avoid extracting and zipping...oh and while I am dreaming, I wouldn't mind a little color. Actually though the resolution and contrast on the Irex is pretty darn good for reading comics.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #18
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The big problem with CBRs (and RAR in general) is the license involved to use it. The official library can't be used with OSS, and the unofficial libraries are written in a way that makes it very difficult to build optimized code around it, and wouldn't allow for metadata like a simple zip file does. It's one of the problems of being a proprietary compression algorithm.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #19
superhero
Enthusiast
superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505, B&N Nook, Sony Daily Edition, iRex Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
The big problem with CBRs (and RAR in general) is the license involved to use it. The official library can't be used with OSS, and the unofficial libraries are written in a way that makes it very difficult to build optimized code around it, and wouldn't allow for metadata like a simple zip file does. It's one of the problems of being a proprietary compression algorithm.
Thank you for the explanation. I am very technologically adept except when it comes to programming I am as newbie as it gets.

I can't thank you enough for the CBZ plug in. It made my Irex purchase worth every penny. Yeah it stinks that I have to unrar and rezip most of what I want to read but since the alternative is no reading, I can live with it.

Hopefully there will be some workaround for it eventually.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Thanks for this plugin, Kolenka. It really works well!
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #21
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Kolenka, thank you. Don't know why I waited so long to try this.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
Uthred
Uthred began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Any plans to port this to the DR1000 now that they share (basically) the same firmware?
Uthred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #23
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthred View Post
Any plans to port this to the DR1000 now that they share (basically) the same firmware?
The scripts should work to install it onto the DR1000, and it should 'just work' as-is. I can't make any guarantees though, and I don't have a DR1000 or a sucker guinea pig who would be willing to try it out.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Uthred
Uthred began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Ok I installed the new beta firmware on my DR1000, the plugin installs fine and shows up CBZ files on the device. However when you try to open the files I get an error message saying 'An unexpected error has occurred; your documents must be closed.'
Uthred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

So there's a crash going on. I'm not really sure I'll be able to do much investigation at this point, yet.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
musteman
Enthusiast
musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: KOBO AURA ONE
Hello,

I just installed the new beta 2.0 software for my irex DR800SG and I am experiencing the same problem..the message says:

"an unexpected error has occurred; your documents must be closed"

I hope you can fix it, because It was great being able to read comics!!!!

Thanks for all your affords!!
musteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
So there's a crash going on. I'm not really sure I'll be able to do much investigation at this point, yet.
I had it crash on me with the beta too, so I reset everything without the CBZ Document Plugin.

I'll miss it in the meantime, but take the time you need, Kolenka. I understand that any change right now may just break again when the firmware comes out in its final form, after they do more changes.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #28
al1972
Enthusiast
al1972 began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, IPad
So, is it now work under Beta 2.0? Kolenka, could you fix it, please?
al1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #29
al1972
Enthusiast
al1972 began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, IPad
So, is it now work under Beta 2.0? Kolenka, could you fix it, please? It is damn important plugin!
al1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #30
luite
Connoisseur
luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dr1000
The problem is that iRex has changed the interfaces that the plugin has to work with, but has not released the source code yet. Until they do, the only way to find out what has changed is by reverse engineering the binaries, which is tedious, and probably not worth the trouble.

Matthijs (iRex developer) has said in another thread that the changes are only small, so it should be easy to get it working again once the source code is available. So please have a little patience (I don't have anything to do with the CBZ plugin, but I have written the DjVu plugin, which has exactly the same problem)
luite is offline   Reply With Quote