Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Public Library Service

I recently purchased a PRS-505 and have jumped head first into ebooks. I have purchased some titles, downloaded some freebies and joined my local library's download service.

Just recently I was browsing the available titles in my library (Part of the Suffolk Wave group on Long Island). I noticed they had very few titles of interest to me. A ton of Romance and not too many thriller / mystery/ sci-fi titles. I saw link on a page that said "click here if you don't see the book you are looking for". So I clicked and sent an email requesting titles by several mainstream authors. About 24 hours later I had a response advising me that they were ordering all available titles from the 3 authors I mentioned.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I wrote back an immediate thank you and now am waiting to see what they add to their collection. Just wanted to mention this to anyone who is disappointed with your library's selection. Seems it is good to let them know when you would like to see something they don't have.

Happy reading,
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
That is good to hear they were very responsive. I will have to try it with my local library although I have been happy with their selection. Most libraries probably don't know which content their patrons want unless they speak up.

Have you tried getting a NYPL card? Being a New York resident it should be free for you.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Yup. My local library has bought books that I have requested...that where part of your local taxes work for you.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Wow--That's great service Radamo! Thanks for the tip.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yeah that is awesome. Luckily the two libraries I belong to have a ton of Romance books, which is what I like to read, so I'm been pretty lucky and I had PLENTY to keep me busy for now. Not to mention the ebooks I have bought so far. I also downloaded a few classics.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Hmmm, I'll have to give that a try at my local library.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I sent an email to my local library system (part of the statewide system in Tennessee) to ask if they planned to begin carrying books in Epub (they currently only offer PDF, and we all know how wonderful that is!). They indicated they were unable to purchase ANY books for the remainder of the fiscal year due to funding constraints, but they would certainly attempt to offer epub books in the future.

The point of this post is that your success in requesting particular titles will be at least partially determined by budget considerations. Hopefully, my local library will have adequate funding beginning the next fiscal year (whenever that is).

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Yeah that is awesome. Luckily the two libraries I belong to have a ton of Romance books, which is what I like to read, so I'm been pretty lucky and I had PLENTY to keep me busy for now. Not to mention the ebooks I have bought so far. I also downloaded a few classics.
Kelly -- did you pick up the free eBooks from Harlequin? While I only read the occasional romance, I'm not one to turn down free books -- who knows what I'll be wanting to read in 10 years?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yes I did get the free books from Harlequin...that was actually the first thing I did!! I think there were only 2 out of the 16 that I didn't download. I'm hoping they'll post more free books every so often.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
That is good to hear they were very responsive. I will have to try it with my local library although I have been happy with their selection. Most libraries probably don't know which content their patrons want unless they speak up.

Have you tried getting a NYPL card? Being a New York resident it should be free for you.
Yes, I have applied and am awaiting the info. Their selection dwarfs my local county's selection. So I am eagerly waiting... (but not very patiently ).
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Wow, that's awesome! What really annoys me is when they have a few in a series, but not the entire series. I hate skipping books in a series. I could make many many requests. I know I can request pbooks that I don't see, there must be a way to request the ebooks as well.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Wow, that's awesome! What really annoys me is when they have a few in a series, but not the entire series. I hate skipping books in a series. I could make many many requests. I know I can request pbooks that I don't see, there must be a way to request the ebooks as well.
If you don't see a link like radamo mentioned:
"I saw link on a page that said "click here if you don't see the book you are looking for". So I clicked and sent an email requesting titles by several mainstream authors."
find their contact or feedback page or make a list of titles and mail it out!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Interesting. I've never thought to do this before.

I borrowed most of J.D. Robb's In Death series as pbooks from the public library. Alas, I can't quite find the time to drive down to our local library (finding parking is near impossible) to check out the remaining titles. Maybe I can request them as ebooks. Checked out the library's FAQ and saw this:
Quote:
Q: Can I suggest downloadable eBook titles for the Library to purchase?

A: Yes you can, but we are limited at present to Overdrive. We expect to add other selections over time.
What titles are available on Overdrive, anyway?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
http://search.overdrive.com/
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote