Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
OS X testers needed

Hi all,

I just upgraded the calibre OSX build to use the newly released Qt 4.7. This should hopefully mean various speedups, particularly in the ebook viewer. Also The GUI is now Cocoa based rather than Carbon based (if you don't know what that means, it doesn't matter to you). Another new feature is that deleting books will now put them in the recycle bin.

In my testing the ebook-viewer and main user interface startup times have both fallen, with much larger improvements in the viewer.

Caveat: For various technical reasons, upgrading to Qt 4.7 meant that I had to drop support for OS X Tiger and PowerPC Macs. The current stable calibre release will be the last version of calibre to work on Tiger and/or PowerPC. So if you are on either of these platforms, this beta is not for you.

As with any major upgrade, I'm sure some things broke. The current calibre release already switched to Qt 4.7 for windows and linux, with no major breakages, so hopefully, the same is true for OS X.

The Qt 4.7 based build is available here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.7.28.dmg

I am particularly looking for test reports from people running OS X Leopard 32-bit as the only OS X machine I posses runs Snow Leopard on 64-bits.

Thanks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Any idea how I can determine if I'm running OS X Snow Leopard 32-bit or 64-bit?

I have one of the newer MacBook Pro's and I'll gladly do whatever you need.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Snow Leopard only runs on 64-bit. But, I'd still be interested in the results of your testing.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I've just installed it on Leopard. Other than first launch taking a scary long time - subsequent launces are fast - it seems to run well. Ebook Viewer is lightning fast now, very nice! Will post more feedback as I beat on it.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
OMG, I've just installed on Snow Leopard, and this thing flies. I can't believe the difference in the ebook viewer.

Thanks, Kovid.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have SL and thing thing is blazing fast when compared to the none beta... especially the reader!
I will play around with it and see if I can find things that are broken
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Looks great and as others have said the new viewer is great.

So far, I've noticed that the pop-up messages from Growl look difference (they have some sort of ! icon in front of the message). Not bad, just different.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Seems to work faster on my MBP running 10.6.5. Search seemed faster and screen redraws also seem faster. No issues/crashes at all. Slow when first opened, but on subsequent openings it was much faster then previous Caibre versions.

Great product -- thanks
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks, all. Looking good so far.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
The icon for adding books does not work for me, but I can add them if I use the little arrow next to it. I am on Mac Os X 10.6.5
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

can you post the output from console.app when you click on add books
Old 11-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hovering over it, the mouse arrow turns into a hand, but there is no reaction when I click. The other icons work.
I opened console.app and cleared the window, then clicked on the book icon. Nothing shows in console. Problem with console could be me, though, as I am no computer whizz.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

When you click the arrow next to it are you choosing

"Add books from single directory"

or some other option?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
lila55
Fanatic

I used "add books from a single directory".
Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, that's inexplicable, "add books from single directory" and clicking the add books button both do exactly the same thing, I have absolutely no idea what could cause one to work when the other doesn't.

Does clicking any of the other icons in the toolbar work? Like save to disk or View, etc.