Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
AddALL E-Book Search with new features

AddALL, the E-Book search site, has added several new features:

1. many new sites added including:
- 18 USA ebook stores (amazon, b&n, sony ...)
- 7 UK ebookstores (Whsmith, Borders, Waterstones...)
- 2 Aus ebookstores (Dymocks, Harpercollins AU)
- 5 free ebook sites (gutenberg, feedbooks, MobileRead ..)

2. new Amazon and Sony free ebooks monitoring features.

3. Amazon, B&N and Sony bestseller price comparison pages.

With this update, AddALL now searches across more than 30 sites. In addition, they provide an easy-to-use search plug-in for both the Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers.

You can find discussions about AddALL, including some search tips, in these earlier threads in the forum: New ebook price comparison site: AddAll Ebooks and AddAll Ebook price comparison
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Love it! Tracked down an ebook selling for 17 bucks on Sony/Borders, 10 bucks (and oddly, also 2 bucks) on Amazon, and free on Feedbooks.

When you know what you want, this is where you start.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur
MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
10 bucks (and oddly, also 2 bucks) on Amazon
Thanks for using our services.
Could you post or pm me the book?
MetaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
nice engine!

Is there a search engine that searches the US Pulic Library for ebooks?

Do this Google!
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaEbooks View Post
Thanks for using our services.
Could you post or pm me the book?
The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind by James Boyle

Feedbooks - free

Amazon - 1.99 (2009) & 15.68 (2008) Looks like they didn't take down the earlier edition, so somone doing a search on Amazon could easily wind up paying the higher price.

Sony eBooks - 19.95

CyberRead & others - 28.50 (this is also the hardcover list price)

The book was released under the Creative Commons copyright so it can be found for free. It's interesting to find it priced so differently. And of course, there's no point in paying ANYTHING for this book, since it legitimately can be had for free - if you happen to know where to look.

I read on my iPhone (Kindle, Stanza, Eucalyptus, eReader) and a couple of Sonys. This gives me access to virtually every available format one way or another. Henceforth, all my searches will be using AddALL, & my choice of where to buy will start with the info I get from you.

Last edited by Harmon; 11-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur
MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
nice engine!

Is there a search engine that searches the US Pulic Library for ebooks?

Do this Google!
searching public library is actually already in our plan.
we are not google, but you may see a few libraries soon.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Henceforth, all my searches will be using AddALL, & my choice of where to buy will start with the info I get from you.
Thanks!
You make my day!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Do this Google!
Actually, I'd be quite happy if Google don't do this.

AddALL E-Book is such as useful site, I'd hate to see them being edged out of business by the big boy.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
resourceshelf
resourceshelf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What Libraries Offer

Greetings!

I am a librarian and also the editor of ResourceShelf.com and I think I can shed some light on what libraries offer at the present time.

There are two large providers (and several smaller ones) of eBooks to libraries in the U.S.

Each library, let's focus on public libraries, offers different titles. Also, eBooks and eAudiobooks are usually available online 24x7x365. All you need is a library card.

OverDrive
They work with over 9,000 libraries around the globe This page allows you to search then entire OverDrive database of titles and also see if your local library offers OverDrive content.

NetLibrary
They have over 200,000 titles in their collections and libraries "buy" these titles like they would purchase a physical book. Then, the user virtually checks-out the title for x amount of time.

Some libraries have one service but not the other. Some have both. It all depends but whatever the case, it's all free 24x7x365 from home, office, or from an Internet cafe on the other side of the world, with your local library's card.

But wait, there's more. Many libraries also offer article and newspaper databases with full text and full image content for free available from any computer at any time. There are many different providers of many different databases.

As an example, here's what the San Francisco Public Library offers with eBooks and more here.

As you'll some of these databases provide articles (full text and full image) from thousands of magazines and journals. One database SFPL contains over 3000 titles.

One of the "coolest" databases is PressDisplay. This dbase provides same day newspapers (full text, full image, just like if you took a color photocopy) from 650 newspapers from 76 countries in 38 languages.

To show what other libraries offer take a look at the Michigan Electronic Library (available to any Michigan citizen) and the Toronto Public Library (it's just not the U.S.)

and the

So, in conclusion visit your libraries web site, give them a call, or stop by and see what electronic resources (including eBooks and eAudiobooks and now dowloadable video).

An excellent place to find library home pages is Libdex.

One final note, in some states or regions it's possible to get library cards from various libraries. For example, I have cards from 5 different libraries in my region. Ask your librarian. If that's not possible, contact the library in the city/town where you work (if you live and work in two different areas) and see if you can also get a card from that library.

Happy Searching, Finding, Reading and Learning,
gary

Gary Price, MLIS
Editor, ResourceShelf.com
resourceshelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur

Hi Gary,
Welcome to MobileRead!

Thanks for your input. It's very helpful for me as I am working on adding libraries into our search engine.

Hi Mike,

Thank you!
ya, we have to act fast, hopefully faster than google.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur

3 US public libraries were added, nypl.org and 2 libraries from WA (which were strongly suggested by one of my good friend, for his convenience in ebook shopping.)

Libraries are not searched by default, you have to turn on the advanced options to select it first: http://ebooks.addall.com/?showadvanced

Due to manpower constraint, I could be slow in adding libraries.
Please feel free to suggest your public library, US or non US, to me,
I could try to add them in higher priority.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
3 US public libraries were added, nypl.org and 2 libraries from WA (which were strongly suggested by one of my good friend, for his convenience in ebook shopping.)

Libraries are not searched by default, you have to turn on the advanced options to select it first: http://ebooks.addall.com/?showadvanced

Due to manpower constraint, I could be slow in adding libraries.
Please feel free to suggest your public library, US or non US, to me,
I could try to add them in higher priority.
Actually searching all public libraries is not fruitful since a given user will likely only have access to one of them. The right thing to do is to give the user the option to add a particular library to their search list. A customized search list as a subset of the full available list would be a good thing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #13
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually searching all public libraries is not fruitful since a given user will likely only have access to one of them. The right thing to do is to give the user the option to add a particular library to their search list. A customized search list as a subset of the full available list would be a good thing.

Dale
Totally agree.
Customization is exactly what our site doing.
By turning on Advanced Options, or access to our advanced search page,
you can add/remove any format and any site. You can search only US sites, or only UK sites, or only free sites, or ... whatever combination sites.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #14
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Customization is exactly what our site doing.
By turning on Advanced Options, or access to our advanced search page,
you can add/remove any format and any site. You can search only US sites, or only UK sites, or only free sites, or ... whatever combination sites.
I like it, never heard of AddAll before. Now it's in my favourites!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #15
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Can I recommend adding the cooler book sites in.

www.Coolerbooks.com – The largest online ebookstore with over a million titles at discount prices, ranging from classic texts to the latest best sellers.

oh in terms of prices they seem cheaper than any other UK retailer you have. eg

Gone Tomorrow
By: Lee Child
Published By: Transworld (OD)
Date: April 2009
£13.31

At WHSMITHS and Waterstones its over £15

Last edited by stustaff; 11-09-2009 at 04:56 AM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote