Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TOC fails in Kindlegen 1.1, not Kindlegen 1.0

Here's another conundrum. These three lines of code determine a selection in the TOC, and are copied from the BOOKNAME.html, TOC.html, and NCX.html files respectively.

<h4 id="abc">Edition</h4>

<li><a href="C%3A%5CKindle-Initial%CBOOKNAME.html#abc">Edition</a></li>

<content src="BOOKNAME.html#abc"/>

Kindlegen 1.0 parses these lines and the overall TOC successfully. However, when Kindlegen 1.1 encounters these lines it generates the following command line error:

"Error(prcgen): Hyperlink not resolved in toc:C:\Kindle-Initial\files\BOOKNAME.html#abc Error(prcgen): The table of content could not be built."

Any ideas why Kindlegen 1.1 is refusing to parse this code?
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
<li><a href="C%3A%5CKindle-Initial%CBOOKNAME.html#abc">Edition</a></li>
I'm guessing it's this line right here which is causing problems. Your href should really be in URI format, as if it were going on to a website.

BOOKNAME.html#abc if it's a file in the same directory.

file://C/Kindle-Initial/BOOKNAME.html#abc if it's not and you're using an absolute reference. (Drive initial may need to be put in differently. I'm on a Mac and volumes are handled differently.) Or ../KindleInitial/BOOKNAME.html#abc if you prefer relative URI and it's in a neighbouring directory.

I have no idea why KindleGen 1.1 would handle things differently if KindleGen 1.0 accepted it already, but this seems the most likely cause.

Of course I could be completely wrong.

Also, for anyone else encountering the same error message, I discovered through trial and error that if you have an # in your directory name, say "#1 First in Series", you'll get that error message during the failed build even if your files are otherwise utterly correct.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Oh wait, it looks like your file is simply located in the wrong directory. You're linking to Kindle-Initial/BOOKNAME.html, while KindleGen is looking for Kindle-Initial/files/BOOKNAME.html, according to the error message.

That's probably it.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-23-2010 at 10:13 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
If the text you've quoted is accurate, you've also got one reference pointing to BOOKNAME.html and the other pointing to CBOOKNAME.html. Check that the NCX reference is pointing to the correct file name.

Edit: Oh hang on... I see what that is - it's meant to be "%5C" for the slash character.

Last edited by DMSmillie; 12-24-2010 at 04:46 AM.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I solved this myself when I remembered that in MobiPocket Creater the .html files and .ncx file must be in the same directory. Why Kindle 1.0 did not require this file structure and Kg 1.1 did remains a mystery.
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote