Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #61
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't think you should nominate/vote if you already read it
I disagree. We want a selection that is worth reading and worth discussing. Someone who has actually read a book has a better chance of suggesting a good choice than someone who is relying on a brief description.

In the interests of disclosure:

I have listened to the audio version of The World Without Us, which I nominated. If chosen, I expect to read it or relisten to it. I have not read Charlatan, which I seconded. I have read The Origin of Species, which I am thinking about seconding. If it is chosen, I expect to reread it.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No doubt there should be input, but the point here is for the group, the club, to choose, read and discuss a book together. Just seems disingenuous for someone to nominate or vote for a book they've already read.

It's okay, certainly allowed, just seems strange to me when a big part of the point is to read books we might not read otherwise.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No doubt there should be input, but the point here is for the group, the club, to choose, read and discuss a book together. Just seems disingenuous for someone to nominate or vote for a book they've already read.
That strikes me as a slightly curious idea. How do you know whether or not a book is worth reading unless you've read it? I'd never nominate a book that I hadn't read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That strikes me as a slightly curious idea. How do you know whether or not a book is worth reading unless you've read it? I'd never nominate a book that I hadn't read.
What? That's what doesn't make sense. I'd never nominate or vote for a book I had already read for the book reading club. The point (for me at least) is to read new things. The books I recommend or vote for are based on reviews etc. just as my To-Be-Read list is....

I might recommend or comment on it for the edification of the other members, but would never nominate it, nor would I likely re-read it as part of the club.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #65
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'll go either way.

I'll nom a book I've read and admired, or that I think would be interesting to discuss (I would feel obliged to reread it if it won the vote).

Or I'll also nominate a book I haven't read, but that I would like to at some point.

While I'm here, I'll nominate "A History of Western Philosophy" by Bertrand Russell. I have read it before, but would happily read it again.

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-25-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #66
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd never nominate a book that I hadn't read.
Quote:
I'd never nominate or vote for a book I had already read for the book reading club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'll go either way.
So, perhaps we could let poeple nominate whatever they like rather than attempting to impose our rules? As Churchill said
Quote:
it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #67
kennyc

Well Duh!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #68
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think you should nominate/vote if you already read it
Quote:
Just seems disingenuous for someone to nominate or vote for a book they've already read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
perhaps we could let poeple nominate whatever they like rather than attempting to impose our rules?
Quote:
Well Duh!
Duh, indeed.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hereby nominate The First 100,000 Prime Numbers.

It's a real page turner.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #70
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hereby nominate The First 100,000 Prime Numbers.

It's a real page turner.
No, seriously... is this prose or just a listing of the prime numbers?

Can we get some real nominations going here?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #71
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No, seriously... is this prose or just a listing of the prime numbers?

Can we get some real nominations going here?

BOb

Hey I thought Ben just said we could nominate anything we wanted.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hey I thought Ben just said we could nominate anything we wanted.

Sure, but... I'm not gonna put a book that is a list of 100k numbers in the poll. Move along... nothing to see.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #73
kennyc

Quote:
Sure, but... I'm not gonna put a book that is a list of 100k numbers in the poll. Move along... nothing to see.

BOb
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But it is non-fiction and fits the subject for this month.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #75
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
I'm not gonna put a book that is a list of 100k numbers in the poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it is non-fiction and fits the subject for this month.
I'm with JSWolf - if it gets three votes, it should go in the poll, and if it wins the vote, we should discuss it.

These aren't just any old numbers - they're prime quality. They deserve our undivided attention. No other factors are at play here, beyond primes and the need for unity.