Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Fed up with the bugs not fed up!
Fed up with the bugs! 30 32.97%
Neutral no opinion or no comment 21 23.08%
Not fed up it works great for all things! 40 43.96%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #61
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes you can email books to a kindle. But can you deal with 1.25 GB of space?
Nope. I currently have about 460MB of epubs on my side card (about 1,200 books), if I remember mobis take up more space. I could cycle them, I guess.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #62
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Nope. I currently have about 460MB of epubs on my side card (about 1,200 books), if I remember mobis take up more space. I could cycle them, I guess.
See that is so annoying about the Kindle. If they hadn't kicked the 4gb down to 2gb, I'd be a lot more tempted to buy one. As it is, no, I'm getting the new Kobo with 4gb + SD card slot.

On my glo, all of my books are on the SD card. It doesn't cause any slowness issues, for me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #63
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes you can email books to a kindle. But can you deal with 1.25 GB of space?
I know lack of an SD card is a pain but you do get 5GB of personal document storage in Amazon's cloud, you just need to email all the books to them first.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #64
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I got fed up with the bugs, and then metazoa fixed them all
Exactly. Although to their credit Kobo fixed the "Bold/Italics" and the "Sideloaded Linux Libertine And Bioline Fonts Displayed As Just A Smear On The Screen" bugs themselves.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #65
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
VirgoGirl I have emailed you.

By the way I have 4500 books in Calibre. I email that ones i think i'll want to read to Amazon , then delete them when they are read. I keep around 200 unread on my Kindle and around 400/600 in the Amazon Cloud, which is a fraction of the space allocated for Personal Documnets.

Personally I don't use the browser as I find it cumbersome, it's not something I'd use on a Kobo either.
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #66
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I'm interested in the Kobo Aura mainly for Pocket, I keep saving links and never reading them!

I have around 1000 links right now
Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #67
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you tried swiping left or right or up or down on the library listing?
Of course no, if not I certainly would not have written this bad information.
Apologies to Kobo for this one and thank you very much.

And, tel me, Peter, whom I know to be of good advice, do you know any way to avoid the other two bugs (long paragraph and TOC display)?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #68
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Completely and utterly fed up here by
(1) the amount and persistence of blatant bugs
(2) the general direction KOBO firmware development and design takes; i.e., imho, just meandering around with no clear direction and no clear improvements (for each bug/issue solved a new - or even old - bug/issue seems to be introduced).

There may be workarounds, third party patches and/or ways to adapt ebooks to be used with a KOBO device that circumvent some of the major issues. But I for one expect a single purpose device like an ereader to be able to cope with the most common (fairly standardized and simple) use cases and the software (ebooks) encountered in real world scenarios without requiring the user to mess around with either firmware or ebooks.

It's a pity since the hardware is really nice ....
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #69
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
VirgoGirl I have emailed you.

By the way I have 4500 books in Calibre. I email that ones i think i'll want to read to Amazon , then delete them when they are read. I keep around 200 unread on my Kindle and around 400/600 in the Amazon Cloud, which is a fraction of the space allocated for Personal Documnets.

Personally I don't use the browser as I find it cumbersome, it's not something I'd use on a Kobo either.
Got it and responded, thanks!!

I delete too, but then find myself thinking I have so much space on my 4G sd card that I don't need to delete. It's a hoarder's mentality, really.

I installed the 2.4 firmware this morning on the KT, which I never had before (I went from 2.1 to 2.5.2), right now it seems fine. The pesky bugs I had with 2.5.2 - not being able to power on with the sd card inside, covers not displaying in sleep mode if the book was on the sd card - are not showing up right now. The issue I had with it "deleting" all my books from the ereader internal storage (shows those books as being gone even though they are on the device) may still happen, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

I'm not sure if that is hardware or firmware as ejecting the device from the computer after adding books to either the card or the device itself triggered the problem. I'll just have to wait and see. What I may do is remove the card from the reader and add books directly onto the card, then return to the reader and power back on. Hopefully that will start the processing of new books.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #70
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
I delete too, but then find myself thinking I have so much space on my 4G sd card that I don't need to delete. It's a hoarder's mentality, really.
Well, I use the 4G on the aura HD, and I love
* to have a good reference library at hand wherever (a recent instance while reading Virginia Woolf's diary, and she comments on some lines by T.S. Eliot: I search my library from the book - a neat feature from kobo - and read the poem),
* and to be able to choose a book according to mood, tiredness level, a reference in another book etc. - everybody does it for music, why not for books?

I've determined I need some 0.3 G free (for the SQLite database to duplicate itself while working, plus a little extra), and I like having 0.7 G above that today to add and add and add. Let's be positive - I'm not a hoarder, I'm a collector (same thing with music, and pictures, and paper books).

And reading this thread, I think, yes there are bugs, some more annoying than others, but thanks to calibre and the plugins, and the help from the developers here and the users here and in a French forum, I have a wonderful little gizmo with so many advantages. Waiting for buses, appointments, friends? No problem. Bad eyes? A solution (within limits of course): as far as I know Kobo is the only one to allow for sideloaded fonts, and adjustments for the fonts, margins etc., and the visual quality of the HD (lighting and definition) is exceptional.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #71
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Completely and utterly fed up here by
(1) the amount and persistence of blatant bugs
(2) the general direction KOBO firmware development and design takes; i.e., imho, just meandering around with no clear direction and no clear improvements (for each bug/issue solved a new - or even old - bug/issue seems to be introduced).

There may be workarounds, third party patches and/or ways to adapt ebooks to be used with a KOBO device that circumvent some of the major issues. But I for one expect a single purpose device like an ereader to be able to cope with the most common (fairly standardized and simple) use cases and the software (ebooks) encountered in real world scenarios without requiring the user to mess around with either firmware or ebooks.

It's a pity since the hardware is really nice ....
I have to say your right on the mark here. 100 percent to be exact. A single purpose device should be able to handle things without any third party hacks.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #72
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I have to say your right on the mark here. 100 percent to be exact. A single purpose device should be able to handle things without any third party hacks.

regards

Jack
I agree ..... but until someone makes such a device, I am very grateful for all the 3rd party hacks available.

It seems to be a case of choosing which ereader work the best for your particular wish list, and then using the hacks to fill in the gaps. From my personal experience, this seems to apply to all makes of readers.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #73
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually the kobo can handle a potential of 30k books on a 32 gig sd card. But since they tweaked their firmware they have broken it by causing a huge lag in boot time. I have 4500+ books and have no issues reading the books except for the current 10 min boot time give or take when I power off with the sd card. This bug in boot time is unacceptable at any level. When I first started out I had no issues with boot time until as the firmware numbers got bigger the delay in boot time with an sd card increased dramatically.

regards

Jack
I was having problems in the library. It took up to 10 seconds to turn the page in my library (more sometimes) then the covers wouldn't load/partially load. The more books I added the worse it got. It would freeze until I had to restart it.

With my Sony I have no problems at all (Once I figured out the problem I had with it) so it was obviously the Kobo, not the books which the people at Kobo and people here tried to convince me.

Kobo had turned me off. Bug after bug and their apparent lack of ability to fix it.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #74
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I agree ..... but until someone makes such a device, I am very grateful for all the 3rd party hacks available.

It seems to be a case of choosing which ereader work the best for your particular wish list, and then using the hacks to fill in the gaps. From my personal experience, this seems to apply to all makes of readers.
Hacks would not be needed if kobo hired decent programers. The proof is the fact that others seem to be able to fix the short comments that the kobo programmers have inflicted on us. Perhaps they (kobo) should hire these programmers who are able to fix the issues.

Regards

Jack
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #75
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I was having problems in the library. It took up to 10 seconds to turn the page in my library (more sometimes) then the covers wouldn't load/partially load. The more books I added the worse it got. It would freeze until I had to restart it.

With my Sony I have no problems at all (Once I figured out the problem I had with it) so it was obviously the Kobo, not the books which the people at Kobo and people here tried to convince me.

Kobo had turned me off. Bug after bug and their apparent lack of ability to fix it.
Never had that issue. So to that effect I can't say. But I agree with you lack of ability to fix the issue is a very serious flaw in their company. Also it goes to show the third rate programmers they seem/appear to employ. Harsh? Maybe but that's the truth IMHO