Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
iaingh
iaingh began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Damaged screen on 505?

I got a the new 505 reader from a physical sony style store last Saturday and so far like the product. But noticed a smudge/mark on the screen that I can't work out if its damage or not. See below for some photos. It's not immediately noticeable and could have been like this since bought it. I certainly haven't dropped it, placed anything on it or even put it in a bag, so if it is damaged I didn't inflict it.

So my question is whether or not this is real damage or just a "feature" that will disappear over time? As I got it from a sony store I would imagine they should replace in then and there if I have an issue, although reading some of the other posts about sony's customer service record I maybe wrong

iaingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Looks like you've got a cluster of reversed pixels there. I wouldn't expect it to get better with time. I'd suggest you trot back to that SonyStyle store and have them exchange it, they'll usually do so without fuss within the first 2 weeks, I think it is.

Let us know what happens, though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I agree with NatCh, it does seem to be a manufacturing defect. It should be an easy over-the-counter exchange.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony Style is good about exchanges like that. They'll do it no fuss.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
iaingh

Cheers all for the info. I'll head back to the sony store saturday.
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Call the shop before you go. Just to make sure they have one in blue and if so ask them to hold it for you. That way you'll know before you go there is one there and available for you.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
iaingh

easily replaced and now I have a perfect screen.

Although I now also have 200 free of the "classic" ebooks. I could barely find 100 so many will be left unused.....
Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I need to call Sony tomorrow and see if I can get some of that credit converted to regular books.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
iaingh

Good luck with that but I'd be surprised if they give you anything. Those books aren't worth $1.99 each as they are obviously just free books formatted for the reader.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I need to call Sony tomorrow and see if I can get some of that credit converted to regular books.
I just emailed them about this, hopefully there will a positive answer. I doubt it, but never hurts to ask.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I agree. It cannot hurt to ask. Most of the calssics are here and I can do my own conversions if need be.