Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Cover not moved to device

This is a first for me. I moved 13 titles to my Sony PRS-350 after having downloaded some covers (I was ok with 5 or six covers) from the Net. This time however, covers didn't appear on the device, neither those that came with the title nor those I downloaded separately.
I doubt that the latest update is to blame, so why is this suddenly happening?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do the covers show up in the Calibre book viewer? Not in the library, but in the actual book itself when you open it in Calibre's viewer?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No they don't. I didn't think to check there. Now I'm even more confused (read; incompetent).
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try doing an ePub to ePub conversion on the book (ie a format conversion with both source and destination formats set to "ePub"). This is sometimes necessary in order to make the new cover "stick" to the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Excellent advice, thank you.
However, some of the books remain without cover in the viewer and on the Sony. I can live with it, but it kind of puzzles me.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not sure which 'covers' you mean, but if it is the thumbnail covers, which appears in Sony booklists and Collections, then you should go to Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - SONY (or SONY PRST1) - Customize. Then check the box labeled 'Update separate cover thumbnails...'.

If you do this, the current Calibre cover will be sent as the Sony thumbnail whenever you send-to-device or save-to-disk your books. It is completely independent of the cover which is page 1 (usually) actually inside the book. It should work for all valid ebook formats for the particular Sony model. It also works for both DRM and non-DRM books.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Have done it now. Will see the result on the next run.
HarryT's advice worked on some but not all the books. Most peculiar. I did the epub to epub conversion and in Calibre's Viewer the covers now appear. However, some appear in the Sony PRS-350, but others don't. Seems odd that the conversion would include cover for some of the books but not others.
Most grateful for all the helpful input.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...I should have added that it is not necessary to convert epub-to-epub to get the Sony thumbnails to match Calibre.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Thank you, I kind of figured that out. Once it is a parameter in the plug-in it would be automatic. I'll have to wait for the result until the next time I get some books.

Usually I download metadata after I have the book in Calibre, after selecting the metadata Calibre takes me to a screen that previews covers. Most of the time they are similar but some are clearer in color. These tend to look better in b&w so I will download one of those. I've noticed they also come in different sizes, but that doesn't affect anything on the Sony, right?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I've noticed they also come in different sizes, but that doesn't affect anything on the Sony, right?
The only thing that affects thumbnail size is whether you have also checked the box labeled 'Preserve cover apect ratio when building thumbnails' (on the same Prefs page as the previous setting).

Unchecked - all thumbnails will be exactly the same size, which is the largest possible size for that Sony model (neater IMO).
Checked - size will vary slightly (usually the width, I think) depending on each individual book's Calibre cover shape/size.

Edit: BTW, if you want to test out your new settings, just resend a few books from Calibre to your Sony -- perhaps the ones which didn't work previously.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-14-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Before downloading to the SONY I need to remove them first, right? Or will Calibre overwrite? I don't want to clutter up the Reader with doublets.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

A fair question! As long as the filenames will be the same as before you shouldn't run the risk of doubling up, as the books and thumbnails should be overwritten.

The filename on the Sony will depend on 2 things: your 'Save template' (same Prefs page as before) and whether you've changed any of the metadata included in the template, since the initial send.

There is another option you could try which doesn't involve resending any books. You could:
  1. Make sure that Prefs - Sending books to devices - Metadata management is set to Automatic
  2. Reopen the Prefs Device plugin page (used in all the previous posts) and check the box labeled 'Refresh separate covers when using automatic management'
  3. Connect the Sony to Calibre in the normal way and let it do its processing (may take a while with this option set)
  4. When it's finished, do nothing more than disconnect in the normal way
  5. Calibre should have re-synched the thumbnails of every book it knows about on the Sony.
  6. Uncheck the box you checked in step 2.
    If this process took very little time you could consider leaving this box checked permanently. However, if you have a lot of books on the Sony it will slow down the process every time you connect to Calibre. Personally, I use this box as a temporary setting for one connection only then I reset it to unchecked after disconnecting. It's a good way of getting all your book thumbnails up-to-date if you've made a lot of cover changes in Calibre. This method should not risk interfering with any bookmarks or notes you may have already made to existing books on the Sony. So you could consider it 'safer but slower'.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

It worked without a hitch
Warmest day of the year so far and on top of that I learned a new "trick" in Calibre. Great time to be alive.

Tags
cover, device, sony 350