Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Currently $50 at a closing Borders Store (EDIT: $40)

(This is eastern PA, btw - I can't speak for all the closing stores)

Borders is on its last days before they completely close their doors in the stores being liquidated. I was there Saturday and the Kobo was down to $50, final sale with no returns allowed - and they still had a few left, which I was surprised about. Just a heads up!

Last edited by roebeet; 03-30-2011 at 12:32 PM.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
mangust
mangust began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo WiFi
I bought one in Langhorne, PA on Saturday, but there were still two or three left. They were at the cash register desk, not out on the floor.
mangust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangust View Post
I bought one in Langhorne, PA on Saturday, but there were still two or three left. They were at the cash register desk, not out on the floor.
Exactly where I was.

EDIT: Allegedly $40 on the last 2 days - that Langhorne store is out, but is allegedly getting more later today or tomorrow.

EDIT2: One left, as of 8:45PM ET (I was just there)

Last edited by roebeet; 03-30-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Interesting - the store "in eastern PA" I was at was selling them for $60 - bought 2 for my kids.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet View Post
(This is eastern PA, btw - I can't speak for all the closing stores)

Borders is on its last days before they completely close their doors in the stores being liquidated. I was there Saturday and the Kobo was down to $50, final sale with no returns allowed - and they still had a few left, which I was surprised about. Just a heads up!
Well, look at what the cat dragged in... Are you allowed to leave xda?

Only one store closing in my area, and not really sure why they're closing it other than it's location, but it's still in a pretty busy area... they didn't have any, which is why I just jumped at the earlier $99 price... (Thinking about it they probably felt that they had to close at least one token store here, but still I can think of better candidates...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
roebeet
Connoisseur

I haven't had much time to do any reading, lately -- need to rectify that.

Not sure why there was such a differences in prices, but I get the impression that my local store must have had a lot of stock that just wasn't selling.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Does anyone actually think that with the Borders stores closing that this will have a negative effect on the Kobo? There has been a number of posts about people picking up a Kobo for $50-$60 each, and (for the US) the current price of $99 makes it kind of hard to justify buying. Has this lowered the perceived value of the Kobo? Will people still be happy to pay $99 for it? I know here in Aus at $179 for a Kobo, and with the Aussie dollar on par with the US that I am waiting for a damn good price before I buy.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Look what they are going for at eBay when lots of those bought for $69 (or whatever) are being sold to US buyers. People seem to be willing to pay around $100, no problem (at least they were last week, seems demand has slowed down a bit now).

Last edited by Asawi; 04-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I would also tend to think that as the stores that are closing run out of stock or close that the rush to buy Kobos will slow down for a while and then pick back up. In the meantime, there's a much larger group of people who now own Kobos and want to purchase books, either through Borders online or Kobo.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
roebeet
Connoisseur

$99 is still a good price point in the US - it's significantly less than the Kindle (its obvious competition), and it has one major advantage over the Kindle with its support for ADE.

If local libraries here can continue to expand on their epub selections, a low cost Kobo would almost be a no-brainer for many people. IF their selections are expanded.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
ardeur
ardeur began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, 4th Gen Kindle Basic
It's $80 at our closing Borders in town. I'm curious to see if it will drop further.
ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My Borders is completely out - I tried to buy one today as a gift for my mom.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
JiMiTHiNG
JiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Wifi
I paid 60 bucks for mine a few weeks ago at my towns closing Borders. Its the best 60 bucks I've EVER spent. Knowing what I know now I would have no problem paying 100 bucks for it. I bought it on a whim knowing nearly nothing about the Kobo, however I got lucky. Now (after the fact) I've done the research I would still buy the Kobo as it fits my needs perfectly. I do wish it did better with PDF's but the epub support is great. I feel the PDF problem is more due to how crappy the format itself is then the reader. Have had great luck converting every format (besides) PDF I run across to epub with calibre.
JiMiTHiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I would like to find a discounted kobo and will be driving from Ottawa to Boston next weekend. Is there a map of closing Borders store online? Could someone local point me to one of these stores?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
thdanh90
thdanh90 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Skiff Vaporware, Wireless Kobo
You can find stores nearby from this http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...rdersClose.pdf
thdanh90 is offline   Reply With Quote