Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #46
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
I gave this firmware a go and I must say I'm very pleased. Few glitches here and there, but having fb2 support is big plus to me, not having to wait for the books to be processed/opened too. Clean and simple, thanks.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #47
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
For various reasons (too lengthy to go into here) I will never buy a Sony reader (or Kindle) - personal choice.

But I am absolutely stoked that the best eBook format around - FB2 - is being supported on Sony readers. That is outstanding! The lack of FB2 support is just one reason why I never bought Sony (or Kindle) - plus the general lack of other format support.

I see there has been a lot of support by Russian readers, not surprising as they are heavily into the FB2 format. If I had a Sony I would give this (and other FB2 solutions) a serious look. If you haven't tried FB2 it's worth a go.

All the best to the developers and users - enjoy!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #48
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I like the idea of alternative firmware for the Sony Reader's as Sony are slow in releasing new ones.

Unfortunatly I've got a PRS-600 and no one seems to be developing new firmware for this one.

Does anyone know if there are any alternative firmware's for the PRS-600?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #49
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
ghostyjack
You can expect beta of PRS+ port in a month or two.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #50
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
ghostyjack
You can expect beta of PRS+ port in a month or two.
That's Great!

I'll keep an eye out for this then.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #51
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Hi All, we just released a minor release with chinese fonts support, use of "home" button on PRS–300 and some power management optimizations. The new version is available for download from http://www.ebookapplications.com

Dictionaries are coming shortly.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #52
Hamid
Hamid began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
Thanks for this amazing work, great! Now, I am looking forward to dictionaries, will you use .dic files?
You're doing a great job.
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #53
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Several days of use impressions (PRS-505): That firmware completely killed my wishes to get new device. It is simpler than original and having less features than PRS+, but for me providing the most needed changes - not buggy sd card operation with cyrillic file names, no 20 min wait for the scanning, reading while charging, fb2 support (bye lrf), fast book opening and font changing. I think I'll be using this reader for at least 3-4 more years
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #54
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Several days of use impressions (PRS-505): That firmware completely killed my wishes to get new device. It is simpler than original and having less features than PRS+, but for me providing the most needed changes - not buggy sd card operation with cyrillic file names, no 20 min wait for the scanning, reading while charging, fb2 support (bye lrf), fast book opening and font changing. I think I'll be using this reader for at least 3-4 more years
Thank you for your good words!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #55
ebookapps
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
Thanks for this amazing work, great! Now, I am looking forward to dictionaries, will you use .dic files?
You're doing a great job.
Thank you too for good feedback. We are about a week or two from launching dictionaries, which will work in the book (translate selected word) and as standalone application. We are not using .dic files.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #56
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Bad part about them is, despite extensively using GPL code, they don't release GPL-ed sources, which they actually must do according to GPL license.
Meanwhile (or finally) the sourcecode of the the used GPLed and MPLed sources is available on their page.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #57
ebookapps
Enthusiast

We just released another small update v1.6.2.2 with fixes for font rendering problem and periodic double page flipping.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #58
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Probably a stupid question, but is there a way to alter the default font from a sans-serif to a serif font, with this alternative firmware on a PRS-300? I've tried a few EPUB files so far, and they all show up as sans-serif.

Still learning all the in and outs on the different formats, so perhaps i'm missing something obvious. Thanks in advance.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #59
ebookapps
Enthusiast

version 1.7 which we will release in about 3 weeks from now will have customizable fonts, so users will be able to upload and use any other fonts that they may have.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #60
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sounds great. I have not tried it yet, because I am a little nervous to do this. How 'safe' is it in regards to bricking my PRS-300? I flash telephones for many years now without problems and never got nervous. But the thought something could happen to my reader....

I saw there is no Dutch. Can I help you translate?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony