Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
The Kindle First January Pick in the Romance Category is Mint Juleps and Justice (An Adams Grove Novel) by Nancy Naigle.

Quote:
From the Editor
I’m a big-city girl through and through. But curled up with Mint Juleps and Justice, I wished I were from a small town. My cozy corner of choice? Adams Grove, Virginia, the heart and soul of Nancy Naigle’s book.

What I love most is that the town is a character itself. In Adams Grove, Nancy has created a warm, spirited place where the ladies shop for family BBQs at the Piggly Wiggly as they trade gossip in the aisles. Where sweet-smelling honeysuckle grows on picturesque, winding Old Horseshoe Road. Where the scones at the local bakery are as fresh as the romance. It’s a place where I actually wanted everyone to know my name.

The truly special part? Nancy made Adams Grove a town where people can’t help falling in love—including Brooke, who retreats here after her divorce. She crosses paths with Mike, who’s trying to heal his own war-torn heart. They pair up to figure out who’s been lurking around (and snooping inside) Brooke’s home. Once they do, Adams Grove—and their love—becomes a safe haven for the couple, a place of solace and protection that they never expected to find. Even if their neighbors are on the nosy side.

Oh, and did I mention the food? It’s the meals in Adams Grove that bring the characters closer—in friendship, in family, and in love. I felt like I was sitting right back in my Grandma Ruby’s kitchen in Alabama, anxiously waiting for her honey-baked ham and buttery cornbread. For her, food was love. And in Adams Grove, with its scandalous goings-on and earnest matchmakers, love is what makes folks live—and delight—in their town for generations.
Show less

- Kelli Martin, Acquiring Editor
other Kindle First titles for January here.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I used the "send to another device" feature to send them to my pw. I usually just send freebies to K4PC and add them to Calibre once and awhile (fixing covers and titles and tags when you are adding 45 new books is a pain!) So I having these on my pw they can go to the top of my TBR.

Happy 2014 Everyone!
I don't add all free titles I purchase to Calibre. Anything I'm not going to read any time soon (I know I probably shouldn't even click, but well, I'm not ready to join 1-Clickaholics just yet!) I will send to my Kindle Cloud Reader. Anything I'm definitely adding to Calibre goes to my PW, so it's easy to see what titles I want to add to Calibre when I connect the PW via USB.
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Another excellent book is Cottonwood by R Lee Smith. The romantic elements aren't as prominent as other books by Smith but they are there and it's the romantic love that ultimately drives the plot. It's a difficult book to read because of the violence but it is very well written.

I read Heat, too and it's not as good but it was written years before Gann and Cottonwood and you can see how much Smith has developed as a writer.

Currently, I'm working my way through The Lords of Arcadia series by Smith. Very enjoyable fantasy with realistic characters. The series has romantic elements but romance is not the central theme.

I'm so glad I found R Lee Smith through this thread. It wouldn't have happened if we were limited to reporting freebies. Thanks, ladies (and any lurking gentlemen).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #19
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I don't add all free titles I purchase to Calibre. Anything I'm not going to read any time soon (I know I probably shouldn't even click, but well, I'm not ready to join 1-Clickaholics just yet!) I will send to my Kindle Cloud Reader. Anything I'm definitely adding to Calibre goes to my PW, so it's easy to see what titles I want to add to Calibre when I connect the PW via USB.
My problem is I download stuff for myself, my son, my nieces, my aunts (3 at last count). All read something different. All kindles / apps connected to my account. Anytime I find something I think they would like I download to the kindle for pc then move to Calibre and when they want something I send to that device or they come see me.

My son does not want to manage / look for books to read. My nieces are both under 16 so I do not trust them to not download something they shouldn't read. My aunts are just old and confused about everything in downloading.

I finally have all but around 100 books in Calibre. Slowly working on adding metadata, tags, price, which person, etc. One day I will have all of this organized. Will be easier since I have it all on my hard drive and not the computer. So when I change computers I will not have lost anything well hopefully.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Nora Roberts' The Next Always is on sale at Amazon for $3.99
I paid full price for that one, but I re-read it so it's not a real loss. This is great price.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #21
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
My problem is I download stuff for myself, my son, my nieces, my aunts (3 at last count). All read something different. All kindles / apps connected to my account. Anytime I find something I think they would like I download to the kindle for pc then move to Calibre and when they want something I send to that device or they come see me.

My son does not want to manage / look for books to read. My nieces are both under 16 so I do not trust them to not download something they shouldn't read. My aunts are just old and confused about everything in downloading.

I finally have all but around 100 books in Calibre. Slowly working on adding metadata, tags, price, which person, etc. One day I will have all of this organized. Will be easier since I have it all on my hard drive and not the computer. So when I change computers I will not have lost anything well hopefully.
I can see how that could get very confusing!

I'm a paranoid backupper... after every decent sized batch and/or edit, I back up to an external hard drive, a more portable drive, to my husband's computer (that he doesn't realize I'm doing LOL), and once a month or so to my laptop.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #22
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
The Double Cross by Carla Kelly (Joykins)
I thought I had changed it to Ibbotson's _The Morning Gift_ but Kelly is just worth reading anyway, so either will do.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I thought I had changed it to Ibbotson's _The Morning Gift_ but Kelly is just worth reading anyway, so either will do.
You did it's on the list just under the wrong name. Fixed.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-01-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
Blossom, I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about my suggestion, partly because it's part of a series that must be read in order and also because some people feel it's not really a romance. It was one of my top reads of 2013, but I had others, too. One book I read a while ago that I thought was fantastic was Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady. Do you want to switch my selection out?

On another note, I must read The Last Hour of Gann!! I think that will be my first purchase of 2014.
Done. I have this series on my list. Joanna Bourne is suppose to be a superb storyteller.

Wow I was really expecting more deals today and some freebies but I see nothing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Not sure if this would be of interest to anyone here or not.

Entangled Mafia

Personally, I want the author to choose her characters' names and how to end the story, but maybe I am just being a stick in the mud
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #26
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
- KC Burn (mainly the Toronto Tales series)
- K.A. Mitchell
- Mary Calmes has two series that focus on a couple I enjoyed seeing what happens after they get together, after all that is not the end but the beginning off a love story.
A Matter of Time is my favorite, mainly because it’s more fun, Jory is a bit of a klutz and ends in some troubles. The book is in first person, maybe some people don’t like it.
Timing also is about another couple.
she as several stand alones and some paranormal series.
I enjoy Burn, Mitchell, and Calmes but find them uneven--some of their books I love, others not so much. Kaje Harper is reliably good. I also like Rowan Speedwell, but I think the m/m romance I like best and would put it on "romances you must read" list if we had one for m/m -- _Where the Allegheny Meets the Monogahela_ by Felicia Watson.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #27
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Done. I have this series on my list. Joanna Bourne is suppose to be a superb storyteller.

Wow I was really expecting more deals today and some freebies but I see nothing.
Ditto Spymaster's Lady. Really good.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #28
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
She is wonderful! If you like audiobooks you should try The Spymaster's Lady in audio. It is fantastic. I've read it and listened to it, it's well worth taking in either way.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #29
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I also like Rowan Speedwell, but I think the m/m romance I like best and would put it on "romances you must read" list if we had one for m/m -- _Where the Allegheny Meets the Monogahela_ by Felicia Watson.
I will add them to my list to look later, thank you!
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #30
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Wondering if we should start a DNR list for books that have problems.

Problems would be grammar errors, formatting issues, using contemporary words in a historical setting?
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote