Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Kobo Firmware 2.3.1

Does anyone have a link for this firmware yet?

I'm looking for a link for the Glo firmware, but obviously would be nice to see a Kobo touch 2.3.1 as well.

Does anyone have a copy of the release notes for 2.3.1?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
release notes:
1. Check your reading stats while you read
2. Enjoy improved title displays
3. Sync your Library to a micro SD card if your device is full
4. Learn how to add a book directly from Help menu
5. Experience our updated home screen
6. Benefit from multiple bug fixes

(obviously #3 is n/a for mini which doesn't have SD card slot)
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Thanks , what does the updated home screen look like?
In what way is it different from 2.2.1
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Only change on home screen I see is that the reading life link/button has been replaced with a sync link/button.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
On the glo, the home screen looks very different.

The Reading Life button is now in the middle. On the right is a sync button (as mentioned by another poster). The huge difference is that instead of to the right of READING (at the top) being "recommended" or whatever it was with a number beside it, it is now called "bookstore" and it has all the functions used to download or look for new books using wi-fi. when you go into that tab (for me at least) it doesn't have a list of useless recommended books which it used to, but just says "save on your first book" and a button to "browse offers"...then at the bottom has 3 button menus, DISCOVER (which pops up as "similar books" and "recommended for you"), BROWSE (with categories, reading lists and free books) and SEARCH which directly goes into searching in the store.

The fact that they've made 2 useful home screens, is great in my opinion...and i'm sure the people who never want to look for books on their reader will be loving it just as much (as it is slightly hidden)!!
Good on them...

The only update i don't like is that if you are looking for books through the library, go into a book, there is no longer a "back to library" function, as it has the reading info there ....home button in that corner has also been replaced, but as there is always also the home button at the top left, it is less important.....
i would like an "always back" functioning button, personally.....
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also four new dictionary options were added....english-japanese, portuguese-english, english-portuguese and one other...

The reading life being easily visible while reading is neat....the people begging to have the progress bar (how far read in book) back will be happy....and i'm glad to hear it will only take me 7.7 more hours to finish anna karenina....

Edit: grrrrr...my translation dictionaries are freezing up......it is always going straight to french-english and freezing when i try to change the option...

Edit 2: or is just freaking slow!!!!!

Last edited by Uschiekid; 12-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I'm also finding that the sleep option on my glo doesn't work since updating. It turns off ok so there's no hardware fault.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec

It seems it now allows to search in the library for "recent reads" OR "date added"...or did that always exist....seems new?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
2weary
2weary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Has anyone had any issues with the recent update?
my reader stopped displaying the contents of txt files (finally resolved by altering line spacing in reading settings)

Also I have lost the ability to connect to wifi that is unsecured, and requires a login password in the web browser, rather than WEP or PSK.
2weary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weary View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the recent update?
my reader stopped displaying the contents of txt files (finally resolved by altering line spacing in reading settings)

Also I have lost the ability to connect to wifi that is unsecured, and requires a login password in the web browser, rather than WEP or PSK.
I did, I had to reset the device to install it, as when it did it the first time it hung on a continuous boot loop, where you see the squares move across the bottom of the kobo smiley face.

Not sure if that was due to the fonts directory or not but that was the only thing I had on there, that was not KOBO.. besides the books.
[EDIT]
ok so I no longer can connect to my wifi NetWork. Just a heads up...

[EDIT 2] Kobo glow is now connecting... not sure what the issue was at the beginning.

REgards,

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 12-15-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: additional info X 2
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi. I updated my kobo glo (uk) via wi-fi sync this evening. No problems with the install and it seems to be working fine. Sleep cover working OK and can connect to my wi-fi OK, unlike other reports. Out of interest, did others who have had problems with these functions upgrade via the "official" root?

New features I have noticed are "Sync" now has its own icon on the home page, plus if you tap in the bottom, middle half of the screen it dispays % read, which I think is a feature some people were after.
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Will this be released for the KT? Or are we old guard now?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Will this be released for the KT? Or are we old guard now?
It was beta tested on all 3 (Glo, Mini, Touch) so I would be surprised if it doesn't roll out there at some point. Just a question of patience waiting to see when it does.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I wonder when it will come for for Glo's in Germany...
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
JCMS
JCMS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Anyone has the link? It's not pushed yet in Canada.
JCMS is offline   Reply With Quote