Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #76
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I see that Who Killed Bob Teal? and 14 other stories are available as eBooks from Amazon US for only 99 cents total.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085ZL7XG/...I2NGOOGCNB7ICE
The Wildside Press also includes it in their Dashiell Hammett Megapack: 20 Classic Stories for the same price.

DRM-free epub and kindle formats available at Kobo and Amazon.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #77
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I haven't read Who Killed Bob Teal?, but I have read several other Hammett short stories and novellas (Red Harvest, Dane Curse, The Glass Key, etc.). I have to say that they are all a pale shadow of The Maltese Falcon. I'm wondering if his entire reputation is based on that single success. I've not read anything by him that is nearly as good - with the possible exception of The Thin Man.

But I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise. Based on your recommendation, GA, I'll give Teal a try.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #78
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
The Wildside Press also includes it in their Dashiell Hammett Megapack: 20 Classic Stories for the same price.
Are you sure? I've been searching their site, but can't find it? Do you know the URL?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #79
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Three days ago Nate the Great tweeted this link: How To Tell If You’re In A Dashiell Hammett Novel. Enjoy!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #80
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Are you sure? I've been searching their site, but can't find it? Do you know the URL?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Quote:
DRM-free epub and kindle formats available at Kobo and Amazon.
Links to each site's editions are in the format names above - good collections too :]
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #81
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
This is the first detecive novel I've read and if this is the best (or one of the best) books in the genre, then I am not impressed.

Sam Spade, a private detective, is the main character of the book and he's an asshole (pardon my French). It's ironic that on the back of my book he is described as "a private detective, a little old fashioned but with strong ethical principles". The reality is quite the opposite I'm afraid: Spade is a 100% macho man that only impresses light-minded women. He goes around teasing them and treating them like garbage, except of course when he needs their help. The rest of the characters are mediocre at best and they fit well with Spade's personality.
ah, the history revisionist, for whom it might be best to have old epic wars retold through diplomatic humanism and where kings don't rape, pardon me, marry stolen women

to read classics one should put himself in the right time frame: you should know you're inbetween wars, the great depression has just put a bullet in many men's skulls, rampant racism was still all the rage, alcohol was an obvious escape route. It was a pessimist era and being a tough asshole would make you go through.

now, with that mindset you're able to enjoy much more out of it, rather than demanding the character lives in your own time...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:55 AM   #82
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Three days ago Nate the Great tweeted this link: How To Tell If You’re In A Dashiell Hammett Novel. Enjoy!
That was funny, Tom, but I think more Mickey Spillane than Dashiell Hammett!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #83
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Links to each site's editions are in the format names above - good collections too :]
Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I was trying to find it in the Wildside site.

Mike
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #84
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
That was funny, Tom, but I think more Mickey Spillane than Dashiell Hammett!
I'm partial to the last one -

"You wake up in Singapore. There’s a man in the bed next to you, but at least he’s dead, so you don’t have to worry about making small talk."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I was trying to find it in the Wildside site.

Mike
No problem Mike - happy to share the Hammett. It seems like Wildside only offers each collection on their site for a limited time, for some reason.