Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Uh oh. Is my brother's Reader dead? (with pictures)

OK, I just sent my brother in London a Reader. I turned it on before I sent it and I know it worked just fine. He received it and plugged it straight into his computer via USB. At this point, the battery was probably dead or close to dead.

The system didn't even detect the Reader connected to it despite having the software already installed, and pushing the power button or connecting it back to his computer just makes a yellow light on the side blink once. It won't charge via USB, and I didn't send him the actual AC cord. Can't reset it or hard reset it, and the screen is stuck like this:

Any ideas, anyone?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The USB charge won't work if the battery is really low, that might account for the problem. I'd certainly try charging it up fully from the wall before giving up on it.

As for the wall charger -- PSP chargers will charge the Reader just fine, those are widely available, and fairly cheap.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The USB charge won't work if the battery is really low, that might account for the problem. I'd certainly try charging it up fully from the wall before giving up on it.

As for the wall charger -- PSP chargers will charge the Reader just fine, those are widely available, and fairly cheap.
Right. That's kind of what I figured. Thanks, will get back to you to let you know if it worked.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I beleive he needs to charge with the AC cord or else with this:

a Solio Universal Hybrid Charger -- this just uses direct sunlight and no AC whatsover. I don't have one and am not affiliated with them, but it seems like this is one way to avoid using AC or USB power. I'm considering buying one.

Regardless, tell your brother to pick up the correct AC cord.

Let it charge overnight and then see what happens.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
WilliamG
Addict

My brother has a friend with a PSP, so he'll borrow that probably in the very near future. Thanks again for the reply.
Advert
Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
WilliamG
Addict

And all is well! Got a PSP charger, and the red light came on and the Reader powers up. Thanks all.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
My Sony Reader came with a Sony wall plug-in charger. Didn't yours?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #8
WilliamG
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
My Sony Reader came with a Sony wall plug-in charger. Didn't yours?
Yes, my brother's did, but since we were trying to save on shipping to England, I didn't send him it because he was going to charge via USB for the most part anyway. Little did I know this issue would happen!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Glad to hear that it worked out OK! The fact that the Reader, although sold only in the US, can be charged with a PSP charger, which is available world-wide, is very convenient.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Yes, my brother's did, but since we were trying to save on shipping to England, I didn't send him it because he was going to charge via USB for the most part anyway. Little did I know this issue would happen!
Tell your brother to go get a PSP wall charger then. That will work to charge the Sony without the USB port.

And I hate to say this (but I will), until software developers make their device drivers both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible, don't go with any 64-bit Windows because if the device driver isn't 64-bit, you are well and truly screwed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
WilliamG
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tell your brother to go get a PSP wall charger then. That will work to charge the Sony without the USB port.

And I hate to say this (but I will), until software developers make their device drivers both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible, don't go with any 64-bit Windows because if the device driver isn't 64-bit, you are well and truly screwed.

Haha. You must have read my other thread! Thanks for the message. I have a new XPS M1330 laptop arriving soon, and since all the devices support 64bit, I could fully use my 4GB DDR-2 for it. Still debating it, though...