Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
SpeakOfTheDevil
SpeakOfTheDevil began at the beginning.

Device: none
Something that support both Epub & Mobi

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my eReader so I decided to buy the Kindle Touch. The KT is okay, does everything as it should. However, the Kindle's lack of file management is vastly irritating. Its "collections" is not a satisfying alternative. So I was wondering if there are any eReader with a better file management out there. My research is not faring that well. I did just buy a KT that I'm not completely satisfied with.

I'm looking for an eReader that can do the following:
1. Allow drag and drop of ebooks
2. Allow folder organization, as in real folders
3. Support epub and mobi

It would also be nice, not necessary but nice, if the eReader have the following:
1. Support PDF
2. Customizable zooming of PDF instead of set percentage
3. Long battery life

I don't care if the eReader is eInk or LCD. I don't care if it is an actual eReader or a crude tablet. DRM doesn't concern me, I habitually scrubbed the mold. I just want something that I can drop my epups and mobis into my folders via computer and go to those folders on my device.

I would like the cost to stay around $100 if possible.

Last edited by SpeakOfTheDevil; 04-19-2012 at 02:34 AM.
SpeakOfTheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know of any device which will meet your requirements, unfortunately. Your budget is way too low for a reasonable tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
SpeakOfTheDevil
SpeakOfTheDevil began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
reasonable tablet.
That's why I said crude not reasonable. My price preference is not set in stone, fyi.
SpeakOfTheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
You can get an LCD tablet for around $100, but the battery life is going to be bad.

Have you thought about getting the Nook Simple Touch Reader, and then rooting it and loading on stock Android? I think that would get you most of what you want.

If you are more flexible about your prices, try getting a 7" Android tablet, which should set you back around $200 for one like Lenovo's.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakOfTheDevil View Post
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my eReader so I decided to buy the Kindle Touch. The KT is okay, does everything as it should. However, the Kindle's lack of file management is vastly irritating. Its "collections" is not a satisfying alternative. So I was wondering if there are any eReader with a better file management out there.
If you want a maximum of options to customize the way you read (fonts, text sizes etc.) and folder management and support of epub and mobi as bare formats (epub with adobe drm) and pdf support of sorts then have a look at the product range that pocketbook has to offer. But: The small "360 plus" with a 5'' eInk Screen (vizplex, no pearl I'm afraid) is priced at 133,- USD on their website ...
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be perfectly honest, I think that in the Kindle Touch the OP already has one of the best devices available. A move to a low-end tablet would be a retrograde one, I think. But that's just a personal opinion, of course.

The issues with the very cheap tablets are two fold:

1. As mentioned, the battery life.
2. They generally have a resistive touch screen, rather than the capacitive touch screen used by the better quality tablets. These touch screens tend to be unreliable and inaccurate in their response.

If the OP is in the US, then buying one of the cheap "dedicated" tablets such as the Kindle Fire or the Nook Colour and then rooting it is perhaps something that should be looked at.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
HarryT is spot on, especially battery life. Spend a bit more if you can. Also look for refurbished tablets. Wasn't the KF refurb selling for $139 a while ago? You can also try this out...
http://androidcommunity.com/my-table...wich-20120419/
But caveat emptor and all that whenever you buy something like the above.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If you are talking about drm free epub and mobi I would recommend a rooted Nook Touch and to use coolreader as your reading software on it. Once its rooted Nook Touch is basically an eink android tablet. So you get all the things you are looking for. Even using pdf is possible but I don't used pdf so havent tried this

Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Unless CoolReader has been significantly improved since I last used it (which was a couple of years ago), it's not a terribly good Mobi reader. The version I used didn't even recognise basic things like hard page breaks in Mobi books. Is its Mobi support better these days?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
dustman
dustman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Pocketbook
Pocketbook supports plethora of formats, all mentioned included, plus quite rare like djvu. Can do folder organization and such. Flash cards can be used to store different collections. Don't know exact pricing options, but normally more expensive than Kindle.
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/welcome-pocketbook
dustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I put Coolreader on my Sony T1 and it won't even open mobi. I had to put FBreader on for mobi.

I decided I prefer just to have epub in Coolreader so I just convert my Amazon or other mobi books to epub for the T1. The folder organization capability in Coolreader is excellent.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Collections on a T1 work just that much better then collections on a Kindle. Amazon made them a lot harder to use.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Collections on a T1 work just that much better then collections on a Kindle. Amazon made them a lot harder to use.
"Better" in what way specifically, Jon? Collections on the Sony and collections on the Kindle work in exactly the same way.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Better" in what way specifically, Jon? Collections on the Sony and collections on the Kindle work in exactly the same way.
How easy is it to manage the collection directly on a Kindle? On a T1 it is very easy to do. Also, Calibre does not need an add-on t create Collection on the T1.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How easy is it to manage the collection directly on a Kindle? On a T1 it is very easy to do.
Very easy. Select the collection, tap and hold, and select "Add/Remove books". You get a list of the books on the reader, with a checkmark alongside each one to indicate whether or not it's a member of the collection.

I don't believe the OP is complaining about the ease of managing collections, but the actual idea of collections, as opposed to folders. Personally I like collections, but there are benefits to folders, too, and some people prefer them.