Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #181
DaniDE
DaniDE began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I wish there was an option to enable/disable social networking features like the pesky facebook button. It annoys the hell out of me. Users should have the choice to participate in this stuff or not, and I personally made my choice not to use any social networking aka giving away personal information freely.

Thanks
DaniDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #182
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarus9999 View Post
There are 2 version of 1.9.16. The first one released has this bug. They released a bugfix release with the same version number a few days later.

To fix this you should downgrade your firmware to 1.9.14 and upgrade again via the Desktop Application or Sync on the reader.
This is true, but I think he has the 2nd version. Even with the 2nd version it shortlist is not persistent when you sync. It is persistent the rest of the time.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #183
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
This is true, but I think he has the 2nd version. Even with the 2nd version it shortlist is not persistent when you sync. It is persistent the rest of the time.
On my Kobo the shortlist is persistant even after a sync.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #184
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
On my Kobo the shortlist is persistant even after a sync.
But do you have recommended books? If that list is empty, then the option is not present...

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #185
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I updated the behaviour of my Kobo on my last post because, now (after some days or after I added a book, not from Kobo, on a mini SD card by copy/paste ?) I got the blured text bug

Edit : I don't know what to think : now, the blured text bug won't happen again. I had this bug one time this late afternoon and little time afterward, the Kobo went congealed, the only thing I could do was turning it off and then on again. From that moment on, everything is ok, though when I select a word to search the dictionnary, words seem crisper on the contrary... Stranger and stranger..

Last edited by vice-versa; 12-29-2011 at 02:24 PM.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #186
goruta
goruta began at the beginning.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
You needn't worry about the .kobo directory holding different files as after the upgrade is installed the upgrade files get deleted.

Just extract the content of the 1.9.14 zip archive file, preserving the directory structure, and eject/unplug the device. The downgrade should occur automatically after that.

Thanks a lot for your help, i just downgrade my Kobo back to the 1.9.14 and it's working fine, the double tape issue seems gone and it's fast as it was before the upgrade. I won't be upgrading anytime time soon.
goruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #187
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are 2 version of 1.9.16. The first one released has this bug. They released a bugfix release with the same version number a few days later.

To fix this you should downgrade your firmware to 1.9.14 and upgrade again via the Desktop Application or Sync on the reader.
I have seen much written about the 2 versions in this thread.. So you think that I got the first version even when I had only updated to 1.9.16 yesterday?

Having the lower list on the home screen go to "Recommended" is not a game killer for me so I don't necessarily think I'll save myself the hassle of a factory reset.

Have also noticed the double-tap bug for the menus.. Hope it will be remedied in the next update.

Got a few network errors while syncing via Wifi but I notice progress so I reset my KT when it gets stuck and try again.. Going well so far.. Noticed that along the VERY top a line extends from left to right when downloading an ebook and clears and restarts for each book.. I wonder if it is a progress indicator..
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #188
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
I have seen much written about the 2 versions in this thread.. So you think that I got the first version even when I had only updated to 1.9.16 yesterday?
No. It was replaced within a couple of hours of it first going up, so if you only downloaded the update yesterday you got the 2nd version. If you did want to try, you can downgrade to 1.9.14 then re-upgrade rather than factory reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Noticed that along the VERY top a line extends from left to right when downloading an ebook and clears and restarts for each book.. I wonder if it is a progress indicator..
Yep. That's exactly what it is.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #189
dirtyharriet
dirtyharriet began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
This is a great thread and it helped me a BUNCH!

I had the same problem as a couple of other people here, where after the update my book directory would not come up - the menu stayed highlighted and then when I clicked it again, it would load the book underneath. Pain!

I also had MAJOR ghosting in the drop down menus. And I HATE the stupid recommended books thing on the bottom of the screen. Stupid, stupid, stupid! This update is a freaking MESS.

I chose the kobo over the kindle because it didn't have ads and other crap. Then I saw that stupid bottom bar, and the fact that under the scroll down menu 'store' appears above 'books' and I felt VIOLATED! Seriously. If kobo wants to recommend books to me, they should just suggest other books at the end of my e-book, similarly to how paperbacks do it. Where there is a 'other titles by this author' or 'other titles you may enjoy' section. But it seems to me the kobo store is on the forefront of this update. And I didn't buy a kobo for the store, I bought it to read books. So my books, and my library should be at the forefront of the menus, etc.

As far as I'm concerned this update was a step backwards for kobo. I reverted back to 1.9.14, and will continue with this version until kobo realizes the error of their ways. And if they don't, then I will be running 1.9.14 until my kobo dies - and then I'll get a kindle or a nook.
dirtyharriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #190
Minautor
Minautor began at the beginning.

Text is not sharper at all.

I was wondering if I was the only one with the blured font problem. I used to turn 4 pages before refresh, now I refresh every page because of the ghosting effect. I tried different fonts and it is always the same problem. The text is more pixelated from the second page turn. This is a major problem for me! It affect my reading and I don't like the blinking.

Also when I select a word for highlight or dictionary search, the page is awful, no anti-aliasing, just like a black and white crappy scan. How can an upgrade be that worse?

About the new features...

Kobo push far too much on promoting their books. I was so satisfied with the previous version that gave a kobo to my sister and now I'm very disappointed. My shortlist present me the same books from the first reading list because I've deleted all the featured and preview books...

My new year resolution will be not to buy any Kobo books until they update their firmware correctly and I will teach everyone that I can how to do the same. I will do free publicity to Calibre and other ways to get books... people can keep bad habits you know. Facebook is usefull for that too.

I hope the new Japanese owner will do better than that.
Minautor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #191
ageinghoody
ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.ageinghoody understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

I fear some on here are undermining their case by ranting over-statements.

I too am extremely irritated by receiving recommendations I didn't ask for. However the bottom bar isn't a problem of itself and may well be of use to some users, provided it's optional and can be removed by those of us who don't want it. Ditto for the panel on the Desktop.

Ideally I'd prefer to opt-out of recommendations altogether, and that should certainly be an option, otherwise they're thinly disguised spam. Failing that, there must at least be the facility to delete them.

On a positive note, I've had a noticeable improvement in clarity of text since the upgrade, though I think touch response may have deteriorated slightly.
ageinghoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #192
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageinghoody View Post
Ideally I'd prefer to opt-out of recommendations altogether, and that should certainly be an option, otherwise they're thinly disguised spam. Failing that, there must at least be the facility to delete them.
The way I understand it, by setting the carousel to the shortlist you actually do not get the recommendations displayed anymore, which is almost as good as disabling them on the device. I could not actually check whether they also stop updating as well (meaning they really are disabled) since my device never displayed them!

However, according to what Taming posted, if you go to the dektop application you can remove all recommendations by individually marking them as "not interested" or "already own" which once the panel is empty will insure the recommended option is not available at all on the device. That is, probably until Kobo finds something worth recommending to you (which may take some time if I look at my account). Still not as good as opting out altogether, but yet another step closer to it.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #193
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
However, according to what Taming posted, if you go to the dektop application you can remove all recommendations by individually marking them as "not interested" or "already own" which once the panel is empty will insure the recommended option is not available at all on the device.
François
I think what Taming posted is correct, (go to the kobo web site to mark all the recommendations as "not interested") I am not aware that you can do it in the desktop app. I have done this on the website and no longer have recommended list on my Kobo Touch, so when I sync it remains on my shortlist, and the recommended list in the desktop app is now blank. The question is how long will it be before Kobo comes up with a new recommendations list for me, hopefully not until after they come out with updated firmware that allows me to keep the shortlist even after sync or allow me to disable this "feature" all together.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 12-31-2011 at 09:25 AM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #194
psycholily
psycholily began at the beginning.

Can someone please give me a link to the firmware 1.9.14 ? the links provided in this thread don't seem to work for me :/ perhaps someone would be so kind as to email it to me?

I got the new firmware and I just hate it, I much preferred the previous version without the recommendations or shortlist at the bottom...
Which is not to say that the new firmware isn't great but it just doesn't suit the way i use my kobo, and I want my old Kobo back! D=
psycholily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #195
psycholily
psycholily began at the beginning.

Oh scratch that, I've found a link that's working

My only problem now is that every time I try to transfer data to my KT, even the firmware update, it stops mid-way through the transfer and my computer will no-longer recognise the device. This is happening regardless of firmware version and it's now preventing me from loading books to my device :/ it was a problem when I first purchased the device, but usually upon the second re-connect, things would stabilise and the device would stop playing up. But now it's still dropping out and I can't load anything :/

I have succeeded in partially loading firmware .14 to the device when the dropout happened, not all files were copied across but i was forced to disconnect the device in order to reconnect, and i found it had installed the .14 firmware, even though that manifest.md5sum file was not copied across...

Could someone please help me I have no idea what i'm doing XD
psycholily is offline   Reply With Quote