Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #166
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Okay, I found a bug. . . maybe.

Went to power down after reading the other night. Usually I hold the switch till the power off screen comes up. Didn't happen. My finger got tired. I tried again. This time the led on top showed my kobo was powering on! A few more tries and the home screen was finally replaced by the usual powering on animation. After it finished I was finally able to turn off my Kobo (and know that it was off).

But I'm not in a rush to downgrade yet. This only happened once so far. Conversely, the old double page turn bug seems to have finally been fixed. For that I'll (grudgingly) put up with the new, redundant, clumsy, and cluttered Home page.

Now to load up the SD card and really test the new firmware. . .
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #167
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Hello from a newbie

Forum handle --- files on eReader --- Double Tap --- Blured text--- Book type
vice-versa------------- 20 -------------- No ---------- Yes---------kepub

Last edited by vice-versa; 12-29-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: finaly the blured text bug is there...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #168
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I agree, if you remove the select word popup without looking up a word in the dictionary, the shadow of where the popup was located has almost unreadable text.

I feel they need to do more resets of the text. Sometimes they do a reset after a word is selected, but mostly they don't.

Below is an example.

1. first picture shows normal text.
2. second picture shows selected highlighted word. (note how the text actually weakens slightly compared to pic 1.
3. third picture shows the popup selected after waiting 5 seconds - note the very weak text (wait less time than 5 sec to select and the text is fine).
4. fourth picture shows the very weak text under the popup if the popup is cleared without selecting dictionary.

Pictures 1-4
I just got my KT on Sunday and updated the firmware then. Maybe it's just a case of it being the first version I've known, but I really like the layout!

However, I am getting this issue with the menu and the faded text. Doesn't really bother me - it's not THAT frequent and I can usually still read the faded text. But it seems worth mentioning.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #169
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Forum handle --- Files on eReader --- Double Tap --- Blurred text--- Book type
azbdsf (kobo1)-------- 2 ---------------- No ------------ Yes ----- kebup and epub
azbdsf (kobo2)-------- 17---------------- No ------------ Yes ----- kebup and epub
downgrade and reset done... same problem.

Last edited by azbdsf; 12-27-2011 at 05:18 PM.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #170
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What might be worthwhile is also tracking the type of book being read; ePub or k-ePub.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #171
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
I edited.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #172
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
As well as the double tap error I posted about in reply #101 I also felt that my Kobo was very sluggish after the update. So after reading that maybe I either had too many books on my Kobo or because I had a "faulty" ebook on my Kobo I decided to do a factory reset and only reload a few books.

Previously I had between 300 and 400 books on the Kobo (I forgot to check the actual number before I reset!) but now I have only put 63 books back on it and I'm pleased to say it is much faster (well probably just back to the same speed it was before the update) but the double tap from the Home page problem has gone.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #173
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsoawesome View Post
I'm noticing a bug when selecting items on menus in that selected items are non responsive until a second click is made.

For instance I clicked on a read book by mistake and it reopened it and thus marked itself partially read. When I click to select ' mark as finished' the line will go black as if it has been selected but it hangs there unmoving not doing anything. It will not complete the action until I click and select something else.

The first few times I did this resulted in me thinking I had not clicked properly and reclicking the same link which wound up both activating my original selection and then selecting tue book under the menu with my second click, causing me to have to remark it as finished again. Cyclically hilarious but frustrating to deal with several times in a row.

I'm seeing similar problems.

An example: I'll click on table of contents, the button inverts, I'll wait several seconds, and nothing happens; If I then click on the screen, the table of contents comes up.

Also, I'll occasionally see a page turn tap not being recognized, then the next tap turns two pages.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #174
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I tend to agree. Even with the short list option, I would still like the option of removing it all together.

The home menu is taking a bit of getting used to, but I think I will end up liking it.
Ok,

Having used it a bit, I have adjusted to the home menu and kind of like it; it is different from what was there before, but neither better nor worse.

WRT the short list at the bottom, I have gotten used to it and actually like it now. In fact, I would say give me the option of getting rid of the 5 books displayed above it and give me two lines of five books each. Give me the ability to change order on them, and show me one or two lines of information, perhaps percentage read, title and author.

The featured/recommended etc. is bothering me much less as I do tend to browse sometimes. It would be best if it really displayed books of interest to me based on previous purchases.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #175
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Only thing left are custom categories for your library, and I'll have everything I've wanted on my features wish list.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #176
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
Not sure what Kobo has done, but if you look at the contents of your device with Calibre, there are several books identified as missing files since the upgrade. They all appear to be ones Kobo would like us to buy. Actually, it is quite a mess!
I think the books identified as MISSING in Calibre's listing of the KT index are actually the new Recommeded books.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #177
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Finally removed enough books from onboard memory and updated to 1.9.16.. Noticed that the font used to display the library and shortlist is a bit smaller but much clearer giving the slider bar at the bottom a bit more space.

Pressing the "Show All" on the home screen when "Shortlist" is displayed is a quick way for me to get to the shortlist I had to use 3 presses to get to prior to the update.

Not sure if it is intended but each time I do a wireless sync the section on the bottom of the home screen defaults to "Recommended for you". I don't mind if it does that during the sync but wish it would reset back to what it was before syncing.. Kind of a bother to keep setting it back to "shortlist".

Would also be nice to be able to put the KT into airplane mode by pressing the wifi-bars. It would save the time and presses (4 to 1) to go click it off in the settings.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #178
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Not sure if it is intended but each time I do a wireless sync the section on the bottom of the home screen defaults to "Recommended for you". I don't mind if it does that during the sync but wish it would reset back to what it was before syncing.. Kind of a bother to keep setting it back to "shortlist".
There are 2 version of 1.9.16. The first one released has this bug. They released a bugfix release with the same version number a few days later.

To fix this you should downgrade your firmware to 1.9.14 and upgrade again via the Desktop Application or Sync on the reader.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #179
goruta
goruta began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi,

Looks like i'm not the only one having troubles with my Kobo since the upgrade to 1.9.16

I've upgrade it last saturday night and it's been a pain to use it since then.

First well i really dislike the new home menu and the recommended list i've switch to favorites but even so i'd really like to have the choice to activate or not that bar

But my biggest problem so far is that the touchscreen doesn't work well now, most of the time when i tap the sreen to go to the next page, nothing happens and then when i tap again it goes further two pages not one and it's the same when i tried to go to the page before, it doesn't happen every time but most of the time and it's now very difficult to read. and sometimes it has strange reactions when i click on a book it opens another one or sometimes it goes back to the home menu when i'm reading and i haven't touch anything An also it is now very slow, much more than before and i haven't add any book since the upgrade because of all the trouble and to add to all the that the ghosting is worse than before, i used the refresh every 4 pages but now it's either 1 or 2 because of the update.

I'm really disappointed in that upgrade, now my kobo is almost useless because of my trouble with the touchscreen.

I'm probably going to do a factory reset this week-end and tried to update again and see if it changes anything.

If someone can explain me how to downgrade a french kobo (the kobo by fnac) i will be forever thankful. I downloaded the 1.9.14 from this thread but what's in the folder .kobo doesn't match mine so i'm afraid to do a big mistake and not being able to use my kobo anymore.)

Like most of peple i don't undertand how a firmware can affect the same device differently, i also got my sister a kobo and since the upgrade to 1.9.16 she did notice that it was quite slow but she doesn't have any of my trouble with the touchsreen.

Last edited by goruta; 12-29-2011 at 06:13 AM.
goruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #180
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by goruta View Post
If someone can explain me how to downgrade a french kobo (the kobo by fnac) i will be forever thankful. I downloaded the 1.9.14 from this thread but what's in the folder .kobo doesn't match mine so i'm afraid to do a big mistake and not being able to use my kobo anymore.
You needn't worry about the .kobo directory holding different files as after the upgrade is installed the upgrade files get deleted.

Just extract the content of the 1.9.14 zip archive file, preserving the directory structure, and eject/unplug the device. The downgrade should occur automatically after that.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote