Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Rjl2001
Enthusiast
Rjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic Wifi, Nook Color (rooted)
Annotations or notes w/ NC?

I'm a college student looking to get my first ebook or tablet. Was looking at iPad but don't like the size/weight or price. But I do like to read a lot of magazines so would prefer a color screen over something like the Kindle. This has led me to look at the Nook Color, as it's seems to be a compromise between a e-ink reader and a full tablet.

I don't know a lot about ebooks, but would like to get some of my textbooks if available; excluding math books or something with lots of photos. When Im reading books for school I like to highlight, underline, circle, and just draw lines or arrows in some places. Ideally I could type short notes in margins or something but might be too much for a smaller screen like the NC. What if any of these types of features are supported on the NC?

Also, I have been looking a lot at the option of rooting the NC. I know nobody knows but how likely is it that B&N will cripple this option in newer software updates? Thinking I might gamble a little and hope to use rooted as a mini-tablet. If so are there better options for apps that allow notes or annotations? Is something like office to go available for Android that would allow me to take notes in class with a bt keyboard maybe? Anybody know if there is a built in mic. That could be used to record lectures?
Rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjl2001 View Post
I don't know a lot about ebooks, but would like to get some of my textbooks if available; excluding math books or something with lots of photos. When Im reading books for school I like to highlight, underline, circle, and just draw lines or arrows in some places. Ideally I could type short notes in margins or something but might be too much for a smaller screen like the NC. What if any of these types of features are supported on the NC?
In ePub books, you simply touch, hold, and release to get a menu that includes highlight, note, and look up.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
of you are reading PDF's, nook color is not the good for note taking, highligths

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
In ePub books, you simply touch, hold, and release to get a menu that includes highlight, note, and look up.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I wouldn't even recommend the nook without rooting the device. I had the stock nook for a few days and was underwelmed by the device. However after rooting the device offers so much more.

As for annotating, the sony device is still the best for freestyle writting. The kindle and book color do a great job at annotatinpd their formats. The kindle is better than the nook for pdf. The kindle has full support for pdf the book only reads pdf.

As for notetaking in class. The android platform has a slew of good office apps. Qickoffice, thinkoffice, and documents to go come to mind. There is even gdocs.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote