Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
RIP Jose Saramago

One of my favourite authors, 1998 Nobel prizewinner Jose Saramago, has died at age 87. He was an amazing writer and his voice will be greatly missed. I think I will re-read his books to honour him.

RIP Mr. Saramago.

More info here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertain...s/10352251.stm
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
josepinto
Connoisseur
josepinto began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5320
A great loss to Portugal

Hi,

It is a great loss to Portugal.
He was our only Nobel of Literature.

José Pinto
josepinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepinto View Post
Hi,

It is a great loss to Portugal.
He was our only Nobel of Literature.

José Pinto
a great loss to Portugal, and to the entire world, and all litterature. He was a great author.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Oh no! One of my favourite authors of all time, his death is certainly a great loss to the entire world and literature. I've read his books in both Greek and Portuguese (struggling, it's true), and I have enjoyed every word and every one of his extra-long sentences. A great mind indeed. RIP.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

I envy you reading them in portuguese. i wish i could. i've read them in french and now i think i'll read them in english since i don't think the ebooks are available in french (alas). truly a great mind, as you say.
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi josepinto

Saramago is not the unique Portuguese Nobel Prize, before him Egaz Moniz won the Nobel Prize in 1949 in Physiology or Medicine “for his discovery of the therapeutic value of leucotomy in certain psychoses".

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B3nio_Egas_Moniz
and
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/m...949/index.html

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Sad. He was one of the most enchanting story-tellers of his generation.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I picked up 'Seeing' by Saramago just a few days ago. I think now would be the most apt time to read that book.

R.I.P.

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-18-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
I think that Saramago's Gospel According to Jesus Christ is the best novel I've read in the last decade. He was a great writer and a great man. I heard the news about his death an hour ago, on the radio in my car. I felt like I just lost a dear friend.
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #10
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Please stop spreading false rumors. Saramago hasn't died. He can't die. He is not the kind of person who dies.

I read him for the first time when I was still a teenager. He will always be one of my favorite writers.

Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote