Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Cleaning the Kobo (esp blue button)

Hi All. Have had the Kobo for almost 4 days now and have used it a great deal. Found that it cleans up quite well (I know I shouldn't eating chips and reading with the Kobo at the same time) using a micro-fiber cloth, BUT the blue button doesn't want to come clean. There is a little dark square around the centre pimple that I can't clean off. I tried a little handsanitizer (alcohol version) but that didn't seem to work. I'm afraid to try anything harsher. Any ideas?
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
I'd try using a wet wipe of sorts...the kind for babies or the kind you get in restaurants for cleaning your hands.

This is exactly why I want the black one...the grey button won't show up the dirt as quickly as the blue one does.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Personally, I would stay away from alcohol-based cleaners on plastics and the screen.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Personally, I would stay away from alcohol-based cleaners on plastics and the screen.

I don't know why you would say that. I've worked in computer technical support for decades and we've always used isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to clean computer components without any harm to the device. The device should be turned off and the alcohol allowed to completely evaporate (this only takes a few seconds).
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Hi Tony, call me careful but I just wouldn't attempt it on the Kobo and risk taking the gloss away. The keyword was plastics but hey, that's me.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Hi Tony, call me careful but I just wouldn't attempt it on the Kobo and risk taking the gloss away. The keyword was plastics but hey, that's me.
Well, if it makes you uncomfortable then don't do it. I agree with you that the keyword is "Plastics" and the kind of plastic that computer shells and screens are made out of are simply not soluble with isopropyl alcohol. Don't know what you're going to clean it with though since most if not all computer cleaning products contain some form of alcohol.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For computer plastics (not screens) I generally use a dry microfiber cloth and if that doesn't work I'll moisten the cloth with a very small amount of water and that usually does the trick. For really filthy plastic, I'll apply a small amount of furniture polish (try and use one without silicon or it might leave the surface too slippery) to the microfiber cloth.

Used to use cloth baby diapers but the microfiber cloths don't leave lint residue.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
mrtidy
mrtidy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo ?
does anybody know if
you can choose not to have the cloth backing on the Kobo ?
i think the alt.ernative is ? also something that can get dirty too.Dave
mrtidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtidy View Post
does anybody know if
you can choose not to have the cloth backing on the Kobo ?
i think the alt.ernative is ? also something that can get dirty too.Dave
The Kobo doesn't have a cloth back.
When you read "quilted back" on the website, it refers to a quilt-textured plastic that just feels nicer to hold than a flat, shiny surface would.
Also, if you're concerned about dirt in general, Gelaskins has a number of skins for the Kobo and can even make you a custom one with a .jpg of your choice. I've had one on my iPod for 4 years, wipes off easy and looks nearly as good now as it did when I first put it on. Keeps it tidy and easy to clean, and personalizes your device very nicely.

I buy generic "electronics wipes" and use those to wipe it down periodically, it works a treat.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
After 4 days?????

Ha! Mine's almost a year old now and the right click part of the blue button has taken on a slightly yellowish tinge, presumably from the oils and acids from my thumb, that I just know is never going to come out.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing, cloth