Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #31
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
It's not exactly the behaviour of the Bookeen Cybook :
- with the Up and Down key, you move from link to link or from page to page if there is no link on the current page
- with the Left and Right buttons you move from page to page, even if there are some links displayed on the page
This difference is pretty important, because you don't have to go through all the links in a TOC to go to the second page of the TOC.

As a side note, this project looks very interesting, especially the part where you don't have to flash the Cybook to use OpenInkPot.
How true! Which is why I'm rather frustrated by .chm behavior in FBReader on the Cybook. Using *any* of the movement keys will not cycle through the links so one is stuck on the first .chm page. Obviously, the need to have a "pointing device" such as a mouse in order to navigate .chm files needs to be worked around for FBReader/CybookGen3 users.

Still, the fact that FBReader can, on the Cybook, even *open* a .chm is great news to me.

Derek
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #32
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The power button is escape so it should exit a book or go up one level in the directory structure.
Yes you are right, this works, the navigation around the bookshelf is quick and easy, not having a flat directory structure is defiantly a bonus.

Reading MobiPocket files is a bit buggy, most when they are opened display random characters, a few do open ok and I can get a few pages into the book before the screen freezes. Roll on the next build, can't wait to give it a try

:-)
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #33
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Using *any* of the movement keys will not cycle through the links so one is stuck on the first .chm page. Obviously, the need to have a "pointing device" such as a mouse in order to navigate .chm files needs to be worked around for FBReader/CybookGen3 users.
All the CHM files I have tried on a Windows PC can use "goto next/previous TOC section" (actions I have bound to the right and left arrow keys) to navigate between sections without a pointing device. However, this approach does not work for Plucker files - which don't have a TOC and hence need to navigate via internal links.

I am not a C++ programmer, but I don't think it would be hard to add a "link navigation via the keyboard" option to FBReader. This is probably actually easier than allowing the TOC to be navigable via the keyboard (although this is also possible, probably by using a different TOC interface).

It isn't an available option with the Desktop version, but the Nokia IT version has a main menu bound to the "menu" key and this menu is navigable using the Nokia's D-pad. It isn't treated as a standard "action" (i.e. it can't be bound to a different key), but it provides one way that FBReader could be made to work better on a pointer-free device with few keys.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #34
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Any status on OI? Has it reached Beta status yet?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #35
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Any status on OI? Has it reached Beta status yet?

Given the tardiness of Bookeen, may I echo His Lordship's questions above ..... and bring this thread back into the "limelight".
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #36
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Given the tardiness of Bookeen, may I echo His Lordship's questions above ..... and bring this thread back into the "limelight".
A new snapshot is comming out soon. Most people that use it, report it as being quite stable, and in some cases better than the standard firmware on their readers.

Edit: Love the right picture of your cats!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #37
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
As for OI on Cybook, I understand that hasn't moved a line forward for over a year, basically because there's no one who would be knowledgeable in low-level Linux kernel hacking/writing custom drivers for Cybook, and at the same time would want to spend the time doing that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #38
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
As for OI on Cybook, I understand that hasn't moved a line forward for over a year, basically because there's no one who would be knowledgeable in low-level Linux kernel hacking/writing custom drivers for Cybook, and at the same time would want to spend the time doing that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You're completely right. I'd like to spend some time on it (I have one EB-100 device), but I dont' have time to do it.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #39
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
You're completely right. I'd like to spend some time on it (I have one EB-100 device), but I dont' have time to do it.

Thanks for your comments ..... I'll keep my fingers crossed for action from Bookeen ....
Old 09-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
curu
curu doesn't littercuru doesn't litter

Device: Zinky - Ganaxa GeR2
Hi to all and sorry for my poor english,

I think the Eslick device from Foxit is an EB-100 based product. They have released the source code of the firmware which is GPL licensed. Maybe it could help for developpers, for OI or a direct port of FBReader I don't really know, or it can be usable as it for other EB-100 devices.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/gpl.html

I personally will get a Ganaxa GeR2 device from a french editor www.zebook.com who has released some of them as a "Zinky" device for an interesting price of 99 €.
http://www.zebook.com/librairie/ouvr...nky-par-zebook

What is also interesting is that Zebook uses some software from Foxit due to a partnership so I came to the conclusion that Zinky and Eslick share almost hardware and software so I will maybe test Eslick firmware on my incoming Zinky.

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place, I'm very new in the ereaders world.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #41
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
Wow, that madshell looks far better than the 20090909 snapshot I had installed on my Hanlin V3Ext. Because of the poor design, I went back to 20090508 snapshot which, IMHO, is still the best (and snappiest) one available.

OK..start shooting at me..
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #42
limint
limint began at the beginning.

Device: none
@Curu

Hello

Did you manage to get an alternative software to run on the Zinky?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #43
curu
curu doesn't littercuru doesn't litter

Device: Zinky - Ganaxa GeR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by limint View Post
@Curu

Hello

Did you manage to get an alternative software to run on the Zinky?
Hi.

Unfortunately no I didn't managed to install another firmware or third party software on this device. Eventually I bought a Sony PRS-505 and I gave the Zinky to my brother.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #44
raspoutitsa
raspoutitsa began at the beginning.

Device: Zinky
Hi,

I'm an another French wich have a Zinky ereader.

Someone have tried to update the original firmware with OI ?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #45
alex_grach
alex_grach began at the beginning.

Device: Merlin HYEG0109B
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspoutitsa View Post
Hi,

I'm an another French wich have a Zinky ereader.

Someone have tried to update the original firmware with OI ?

Thanks
Can you try to run this script on you Zinky reader?
http://openinkpot.org/attachment/wik.../update_kernel

It won't break anything... It will try to make some log files

You need to place this file on clear SD card (FAT formated) and reboot your device (may be over reset).