Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@rwhe,
I did try your epub but I'm not sure it's much help as my Kobo Glo is on fw3.0.0 (with Kobo Patcher mods).

FWIW, I drag-dropped it directly to the Glo and paged through most of the epub (as standard epub, not kepub) and I did not see any font-size changes between chapters, nor did the Adobe side page numbers show.
Thanks, jackie_w. My Glo is also on firmware 3.0.0, and I still have the problem. If I thought Kobo Patcher would solve my problem, I'd install it, but this seems to be a problem experienced by a small number of users, and chances are good you would not experience it even without Kobo Patcher, without some special conditions. If only I knew what those conditions were...
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if there is any point dumping the Kobo database and comparing what is in it for a person WITH issues viz-a-viz, one with no issues?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
gaga55
gaga55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kindle Voyage & Oasis & Oasis 2
I've had these issues on the Glo and now with the Aura, except with firmware 2.5.1 or 2.5.2 (don't remember) when setting the margins to zero.
I'm copying my epubs directly onto the SD card (no directories) usually without connecting the reader to the computer.
Since buying the Aura, I've copied all my books directly to the Glo using Calibre into the main memory, and in a short test I couldn't reproduce the font change anymore. The page numbers in the margins don't show up either.

Is there a way to configure Calibre so that it doesn't copy the books into directories and subdirectories on the device or SD card?
gaga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't have any of these problems on my Glo with 3.0.0. I have all books in main memory.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
gaga55, I don't know why storing books in subdirectories or on an SD card would trigger these problems, but for me, they certainly do roughly coincide with recently starting to load my books onto an SD card with calibre, rather than dropping them directly into main memory!

PeterT, I can make a database dump available to you if you will point me to instructions on how to do it. I take it that scrutiny of the config file and epub didn't reveal anything.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
gaga55, I don't know why storing books in subdirectories or on an SD card would trigger these problems, but for me, they certainly do roughly coincide with recently starting to load my books onto an SD card with calibre, rather than dropping them directly into main memory!

PeterT, I can make a database dump available to you if you will point me to instructions on how to do it. I take it that scrutiny of the config file and epub didn't reveal anything.
I too have all my books on SD card. But then I have always had all my books on SD card.

Since 3.0.0 I have had other oddities occur as well. Every time I select the menu the font menu comes up on it's own and if the reader is in sleep mode for more than 2 minutes I must reset to turn it on. Can't see how these are SD card related, but who knows. Less than 2 minutes it turns on instantly. Go figure. This is very consistent, have tested each more than 20 times.

My font problems are intermittent, sometimes every chapter and sometimes I can't make them occur even in the places they were occurring before. Plus I have had the font change without a chapter change when opening a book mid chapter after one of my many resets.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
gaga55
gaga55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kindle Voyage & Oasis & Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
rwhe, maybe I didn't express myself very clearly.

Usually I copy the books directly on the SD card and then have the issues you mentioned in your first post, on the Glo and the Aura.

For testing, I used now Calibre to copy the books to the Glo, and don't seem to have the problems anymore (haven't done much testing though).

So, as I experience it right now, with Calibre I don't have the problems, but by copying them directly on to the SD card (without directories) I have the issues.

I agree with you that directories or not shouldn't trigger the problems, but we're dealing with software here after all...
gaga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaga55 View Post
I've had these issues on the Glo and now with the Aura, except with firmware 2.5.1 or 2.5.2 (don't remember) when setting the margins to zero.
I'm copying my epubs directly onto the SD card (no directories) usually without connecting the reader to the computer.
Since buying the Aura, I've copied all my books directly to the Glo using Calibre into the main memory, and in a short test I couldn't reproduce the font change anymore. The page numbers in the margins don't show up either.

Is there a way to configure Calibre so that it doesn't copy the books into directories and subdirectories on the device or SD card?
There are a few bugs that have affected books on the SD card differently to the main memory. I haven't seen it but I mainly use the main memory.

In the driver configuration, the "Save Template" sets where the books are put on the device. There is also a "Use sub-directories" option. You can set the template so that it doesn't create directories. I think unchecking the option also prevents this, but it has been ages since I tried it. There isn't a way to have different options for the main memory and the SD card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I too have all my books on SD card. But then I have always had all my books on SD card.

Since 3.0.0 I have had other oddities occur as well. Every time I select the menu the font menu comes up on it's own
This ones a feature. When you tap the screen to bring up the menus, it opens the one that was last opened. So, if you had the navigation bar opened, it will open. It is probably most useful for the in-book stats, which are only available for purchased kepubs.
Quote:
and if the reader is in sleep mode for more than 2 minutes I must reset to turn it on. Can't see how these are SD card related, but who knows. Less than 2 minutes it turns on instantly. Go figure. This is very consistent, have tested each more than 20 times.
What happens if you power off and on? Does everything come up OK?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This ones a feature. When you tap the screen to bring up the menus, it opens the one that was last opened. So, if you had the navigation bar opened, it will open. It is probably most useful for the in-book stats, which are only available for purchased kepubs.

What happens if you power off and on? Does everything come up OK?
Well it is a new feature to me and I actually don't care for it as generally I am looking to see the time Then I press close to bottom of page to continue. Not happening now as I will be pressing on menu instead of book page and for me it is a pain in the butt.

When I power off and on it comes up okay. If it is powered of or goes to sleep and is off more than 2 minutes it will only open with holding the slider till it resets. Sometimes it will reset just by pushing the slider several times, sometimes I must push and hold. Very consistent.

Off and on within a minute, returns to where it was.
Off more than two minutes. Must be reset. Even attaching it to the USB port it resets. Thinking it was just processing something bizarre as it took it a minute or two to become catonic, I left it overnight. Still had to be reset.

Helen
Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #26
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
My books are all side-loaded using Calibre onto the SD card. I use a pretty standard out-of-the-box Calibre setup--nothing special, although I do use the Kobo Extended Driver.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard

My books are all on SD card side loaded with regular driver. But they always have been. Never intentionally put a book on main memory AFAIK and if I did I deleted it quickly. Hasn't been a problem until last week. Why give us a card slot if we are not supposed to use it?

Helen
Old 11-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Well it is a new feature to me and I actually don't care for it as generally I am looking to see the time Then I press close to bottom of page to continue. Not happening now as I will be pressing on menu instead of book page and for me it is a pain in the butt.
You can close the menu by tapping on the part of the bottom bar that doesn't have an icon, and then the next time you bring up the menu bars the menus will be closed. The feature saves one tap for those who use it, but costs an extra tap for those who don't.

It is a bit like the issue of whether to leave the toilet seat in the last-used position (the new behaviour), or to always leave it in the down position after use (the old behaviour). Leaving it in the last-used position is more efficient, but somehow that point doesn't carry much weight when I've tried to argue it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You can close the menu by tapping on the part of the bottom bar that doesn't have an icon, and then the next time you bring up the menu bars the menus will be closed. The feature saves one tap for those who use it, but costs an extra tap for those who don't.

It is a bit like the issue of whether to leave the toilet seat in the last-used position (the new behaviour), or to always leave it in the down position after use (the old behaviour). Leaving it in the last-used position is more efficient, but somehow that point doesn't carry much weight when I've tried to argue it.
Obviously I like my toilet seat in the down position. I've struggled out of a few toilet bowls with a wet bum in my time. Even happens to men on occasion, although it is a rare man indeed who will admit it.

Still thanks for the tip. I actually don't get all het up about an extra tap or two when it comes to menu items. I do find it disconcerting to have a menu pop up in an unexpected manner and change something inadvertently. Kind of like expecting a toilet seat under my bum when I stagger to the bathroom with my eyes glued shut and finding cold wet porcelain instead.

Good analogy which makes me wonder even more what were they thinking

Helen
Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It took me a bit to get used to. But, the last couple of novels I have read have been from Kobo, bringing up the stats quickly has been nice.
Quote:
When I power off and on it comes up okay. If it is powered of or goes to sleep and is off more than 2 minutes it will only open with holding the slider till it resets. Sometimes it will reset just by pushing the slider several times, sometimes I must push and hold. Very consistent.

Off and on within a minute, returns to where it was.
Off more than two minutes. Must be reset. Even attaching it to the USB port it resets. Thinking it was just processing something bizarre as it took it a minute or two to become catonic, I left it overnight. Still had to be reset.
I asked the question about powering off because I was wondering if the database was corrupt or anything else happened. But, this is worse. When it is like this, does pressing the pinhole reset button do anything?

Tags
fonts, kobo, margins, numbering