Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
Glo, Arc or Aura?

Hello...sadly I lost my old Kobo Wireless over the weekend (while out camping) and am now looking for a replacement. At first I was going to go with a Glo, but then noticed that the Aura was about (and now has) been released. Since then, the Arc has also grabbed my attention. All 3 are of a similar price right now, with the Glo going for around $130, the Aura for around $150 and the Arc for around $140. It's tough deciding which to go with. Hear are the pros and cons as I see them:
GLO: works well in both bright daylight and at night; bright, nearly white background provides excellent contrast; relatively compact...smaller than my original Kobo wireless. Available at a local bookseller. Only real con is that it is a dedicated reader.

AURA: even smaller form factor than the GLO; I like the firmware that offers functionality for more detail about what you're reading (akin to Kindle's xray...but now that I think about it, I rarely use the feature in my Kindle); biggest CON is that it was out of stock on Kobo's site and now it's not even showing as available for purchase.

ARC: more functionality, will allow me to carry both my Kobo & Kindle books with me; also can be used to access my online video content from Amazon, Netflix, etc.; color display is nice; offers a slightly higher ppi than the glo and aura; likely handles PDF's better than a dedicated reader (I have a couple of books that are in PDF format); may handle illustrations in books better (though not certain of this...mainly I want to be able to enlarge them so that I can make out fine details); Cons are that's it's larger and heavier than a dedicated reader, screen may be more difficult to read in daylight, shorter battery life, I'm not a fan of the Android OS (I have an older Android tablet I never use and I dislike my wife's Android phone...I consider the OS to be counterintuitive compared to my Windows Phone). Many of the additional apps offered by ARC are already installed onto my phone anyway (e.g., Kindle & Netflix).

My primary wants in an ereader are: ability to read both at night and in daylight without additional lights, compact and light weight. For these reasons I've been leaning towards the Glo, but it still troubles me that the Glo is priced about the same as the tablet!

So, given this, which would you choose and why?

Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I would wait. The Aura sounds good but there are already a few reports of several units with light leaks. Give it a week or two. If you cant wait go for a glo right now.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Arc is heavily discounted, as Kobo is going to release new tablets next month (I think). So it is a really good buy for $140. It is an Android tablet, with Kobo's skin on it....you don't say what kind your older tablet is, but I'd bet the Arc is better.

I have a Glo and it is a fantastic e-reader. So you have to decide, do you want tablet features, or a dedicated reader?

I am also tempted by the Aura, but willing to wait a few months to be sure the quality is where it should be.

ETA: You don't say what country you are in, but if you are in the USA, the Barnes & Noble Nook HD is a better buy than the ARC right now. The screen resolution is higher, the weight is less, they both have Google Play and SD card slot. And it's $129, unless you find it on sale for less. Well the 16gb is $149.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-18-2013 at 03:19 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I would wait. The Aura sounds good but there are already a few reports of several units with light leaks. Give it a week or two. If you cant wait go for a glo right now.
The light leaks, or bright spots are a manufacturing defect. They happened with the Glo and Aura HD. I think they happened with the other front-lit e-ink devices. If you open the box and the device has them, take it back for a replacement.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The light leaks, or bright spots are a manufacturing defect. They happened with the Glo and Aura HD. I think they happened with the other front-lit e-ink devices. If you open the box and the device has them, take it back for a replacement.
Well they are not available in store yet. I am not going to buy online and continue to return. I will wait for store availability.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Well they are not available in store yet. I am not going to buy online and continue to return. I will wait for store availability.
I'm completely with you on that. But, when they do appear in the shops, I will no longer be allowed in. The Finance Minister wouldn't allow it. And handing down the Glo to her won't work either.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
I'm completely with you on that. But, when they do appear in the shops, I will no longer be allowed in. The Finance Minister wouldn't allow it. And handing down the Glo to her won't work either.

Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
A minister who can't be bribed... that would be a first
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
Well, I think I might have found the best of both worlds. I just ordered a refurbished (but boxed and with original manufacturer's warranty...they call these certified "pre-owned") Nook HD+ for my wife for $110. Fantastic price on a 10" tablet. She's addicted to Facebook and also likes to access the web and of course I could use it to access books and PDF's when she's not using it. I'll probably pick up a Glo to use as a dedicated reader for use in bed and bright sun (10" tablet seems a bit large for bed use).

At a future date I still may pick up the Arc (especially if my wife doesn't allow me to use the Nook often enough!).
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
The Finance Minister wouldn't allow it. And handing down the Glo to her won't work either.
Really, David, you Aussie males are far too honest and straightforward. You need to get more creative and devious, man! Find the Minister's weakness and exploit it for all it's worth. E.g. compare and contrast your respective outlays on hairdresser, makeup, shoes etc. You should be able to justify the modest cost of a new ereader in no time. In fact you'll probably be due a rebate.

If all else fails, arrange the bottom lip into a facsimile of a park bench and sulk, sulk, sulk... Easy
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent choice!!! Your wife will love it! Excellent price, too.

Oh yes, get a Glo....they may go on sale again....Watch the deals forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton View Post
Well, I think I might have found the best of both worlds. I just ordered a refurbished (but boxed and with original manufacturer's warranty...they call these certified "pre-owned") Nook HD+ for my wife for $110. Fantastic price on a 10" tablet. She's addicted to Facebook and also likes to access the web and of course I could use it to access books and PDF's when she's not using it. I'll probably pick up a Glo to use as a dedicated reader for use in bed and bright sun (10" tablet seems a bit large for bed use).

At a future date I still may pick up the Arc (especially if my wife doesn't allow me to use the Nook often enough!).
Craig

Last edited by booklover6; 09-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Really, David, you Aussie males are far too honest and straightforward. You need to get more creative and devious, man! Find the Minister's weakness and exploit it for all it's worth. E.g. compare and contrast your respective outlays on hairdresser, makeup, shoes etc. You should be able to justify the modest cost of a new ereader in no time. In fact you'll probably be due a rebate.
Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, none of those apply to her. At the moment, her biggest weakness is books and she has been very good with that lately. And I was the one who suggest the new TV recently.
Quote:
If all else fails, arrange the bottom lip into a facsimile of a park bench and sulk, sulk, sulk... Easy
I've used that far to many times in the past. If I do it now I have to make sure I'm out of reach
Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Well, I want to add an extra dimension to this thread:

Aura HD
or
Aura

What do people think?

PS: the HD is still hovering around the $220 AUD mark - ridiculous eh!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I would choose Aura over Aura HD due to the size and weight difference.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Thanks Booklover6

I should have added that I like the larger size and am most comfortable with my 7 inch tablet (apart from it's weight).

But I'm thinking that as the HD is going to have the same firmware as the non HD Aura that it opens the field as to which one to choose.

'Cos I've already got the Glo.

But the big bugbear for the HD is the price
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote