Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
katiesommer
katiesommer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Error message about fonts in ePub when using ITP.

I'm going to apologize up front for this being my third post started today. I'm sure that must be annoying, and I'm sorry for it.

I am having trouble with another ITMS-9000 error message. This time it's about the font I used, Times New Roman. Here's a screenshot.

I never thought I'd have a problem with TNR in the ePub!

I just got my ITP error messages down from 35 to 4, so I'm ecstatic, though there's a lot of work to still do.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

KS
katiesommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Unrelated to your problem... but I hope you're not thinking of distributing TNR in an epub. It's not a freely distributable font, to my knowledge.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
katiesommer

I didn't mean really to specify or distribute any certain font, to be honest. I guess I assumed it would change from whatever it was in InDesign to whatever was optimized for iPhone or iPad. I have so much to learn. :S

Is there any way to change/fix this in OPF file? Or do I have to go back into InDesign and change something? What font SHOULD I be using, then?

Last edited by katiesommer; 01-17-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No font, actually. Let the reading application (or reader) choose a font. When you export from ID, you need to switch of the font embedding.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
By the way, the problem reported in that window is not about Times New Roman, it's about a file included in the ePub but not manifested. It happens to be a font file, but it could have been anything.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
katiesommer

Is that the easiest way of fixing this, then--switching off the font embedding in ID? Or is there another way of fixing it in the OPF or CSS?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, turn off font embedding.

Do you really want to embed fonts? The #1 embedded font is Charis SIL because it looks good and is free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Well, you don't necessarily have to avoid all font embedding, but most folks don't embed body fonts, and you definitely should not embed a font that doesn't specifically allow embedding in an EPUB (which AFAIK that one doesn't unless you have a specific agreement with Monotype to the contrary).

Incidentally, this error would be flagged by epubcheck as well. You should definitely run your book through that before submitting it anywhere.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
katiesommer

Good deal; thanks everyone. I'll export again with no fonts embedded and run it through IDPF's ePub validator before I upload to ITP.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
katiesommer

OK! Fixed the font embedding issue, also fixed the date value bug in the content.opf file, and the IDPF ePub Validator comes up clean, except for one "warning" (not "error"), that:

WARNING OEBPS/content.opf 2 202 title element is empty

Something I should fix, or ignore?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Fix. There is no title given in the metadata.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote