Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #1276
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhfoley View Post
OK, I was on 5.4.3. Jailbroke, installed MKK, python, KUAL, KUAL+ and screensaver. Upgraded to 5.4.5

Now all I can see is the default screensaver hack installed cover logo. How can I get the cover of the current book I am reading to display? Help! Thanks in advance.
The device Jailbreak survived, but not much else did.

Just re-install everything (starting with MKK from snapshot thread) that does not work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #1277
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle voyage and paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The device Jailbreak survived, but not much else did.

Just re-install everything (starting with MKK from snapshot thread) that does not work.
Fixed and working. Thanks!
samhfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #1278
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhfoley View Post
Fixed and working. Thanks!
You might want to install the "Backdoor Lock" RSN, since there is a 5.4.5.1 update in the air.

Unless you want to do all of that again.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #1279
WorldofPain
WorldofPain began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW
A quick clarification:

If we want to randomize the screensavers: "drop a blank file named "random"
Im an idiot so this is obvious to you guys. Can this file just be a text document?
or does it have to be a certain file type ect. enriched txt doc... idk
WorldofPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #1280
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@WorldofPain-
The direct answer is no. Use an empty file with NO extension.
The better way is to install KUAL and control the screensaver hack with it.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #1281
WorldofPain
WorldofPain began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW
ok.

I would assume this is a common coding tool on a computer but I am not that savy. How would you do this on windows 8?
The only options it gives you is a txt .doc

I see the blank pages next to the empty files that are used as commands, just don't know how to make one?
WorldofPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #1282
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldofPain View Post
ok.

I would assume this is a common coding tool on a computer but I am not that savy. How would you do this on windows 8?
The only options it gives you is a txt .doc

I see the blank pages next to the empty files that are used as commands, just don't know how to make one?
KUAL makes this a lot easier.

You can also create a .txt document, then rename it to delete the file extension. Make sure the File Explorer is set under Folder Options to NOT hide known file extensions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #1283
Verlander
Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I normally keep wifi off but today put it on to look up something on Wikipedia..... because I couldn't be bothered to fetch my tablet from another room.

The device auto upgraded to 5.4.5.1 and my screensaver hack no longer works. It took me absolute ages to get it working in the first place.

Infuriating!

Could kind people please tell me, step by step, how to get the screensaver hack to work again? I realise some downgrading may be involved.

Also, if there is any way of stopping auto upgrading: otherwise I'll have to remember to keep wifi permanently switched off.

Thanks.
Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #1284
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ have you tried to just install the screen saver hack and python again?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #1285
Verlander
Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
^^^ have you tried to just install the screen saver hack and python again?
No I haven't. Do you think this would work? Would I not have to uninstall then re-install any hack?

I don't want to end up with a 'brick', so I'm being very cautious!

The device is jailbroken already of course. But it now ignores the custom screensavers. I've even tried deleting the original screensavers from the backup folder but they still show up.

I cannot see where they are stored.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #1286
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlander View Post
No I haven't.
Do you think this would work?
Would I not have to uninstall then re-install any hack?
It will work.
No, you do not (in the case of the Screensavers Hack).

Also, you have to re-install MKK if you had it previously installed.

Quote:

Also, if there is any way of stopping auto upgrading: otherwise I'll have to remember to keep wifi permanently switched off.

Thanks.
Yes, install the "Backdoor Lock" -

The update_*.bin file has not been repackaged for the new (9017) model devices.
If you have that model, you will have to use the KUAL version (in same first post, last set of install directions).

Last edited by knc1; 08-16-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #1287
Verlander

OK, I've tried reinstalling the following files (downloaded from the first post on this thread) - pretty sure these were the files I used originally when I was on 5.3.x:

Update_python_0.10.N_install_pw2.bin

Update_linkss_0.17.N_install_pw2.bin

The PW2 automatically deletes them as soon as I disconnect the USB. So I can't update.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #1288
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Verlander-
The last time you added the SS Hack your model needed the version found in NiLuJe's snapshots...I don't know if NiLuJe has updated the .bin's found in the first post since then, so you might try the snapshot versions again here.
Good Luck (again! )
Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #1289
Verlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Verlander-
The last time you added the SS Hack your model needed the version found in NiLuJe's snapshots...I don't know if NiLuJe has updated the .bin's found in the first post since then, so you might try the snapshot versions again here.
Good Luck (again! )
Fantastic - I have my lovingly handcrafted screensavers back again!

I've kept a copy of the snapshot files for the future.

Now I'll try and work how to install the Backdoor Lock, just in case I'm foolish enough to turn the wifi on again! [Edit: Hmm... looks like we don't know yet whether BL works on the latest OS for PW2. I'll just have to keep wifi off to be on the safe side - no hardship. ]

Last edited by Verlander; 08-16-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #1290
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Fantastic - I have my lovingly handcrafted screensavers back again!
Great!

Quote:
I've kept a copy of the snapshot files for the future.
Smart!

Quote:
..... I'll just have to keep wifi off to be on the safe side - no hardship. ]
Extra smart!

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch