Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
And is it just me, or does it look like the DANL member discount on other books is no longer the usual 40% off and something more like 25%?
I noticed that too. I wonder if it's a mistake or maybe the DANL member here if they are still around can explain it to us.

Example:

In Rides Trouble by Julie Ann Walker
Price: $6.99 Member Price: $5.24
40% off is $ 4.19 not $5.24

I can get the Kindle version for $4.99

Just saw they changed the wording in the FAQ:

Quote:
Additionally you can save up to 40% off regular list prices on all ebooks offered in our store.
So it looks like it's best to shop around before buying certain books there.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-01-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think probably the honeymoon period is over now that the initial 6 months are up and 25% off will be the new member discount price from now on, barring special sales.

Which is a shame, since the standard retailer discounts on Sourcebooks titles is usually around 25% anyway at Amazon, Kobo, et al., so this basically makes the membership less attractive unless you're really committed to DRM-free purchasing and/or have lots of stuff you like show up in the monthly feature selections.

On the other hand, you do still save extra on the special sale books, so it probably is still worth it for the heavy romance readers and I'd personally wait to see if anything I wanted went to the deep-discount pricing before buying it under the "regular" discount.

Also, might as well mention: Patricia Rice, a Sourcebooks-republished author, has put another one of her titles, a romantic suspense-looking contemporary, on sale for $2.99 (down from $4.99) at the Book View Café (DRM-free, but must pick a single format). No idea how long the price is good for, but we've gotten a few freebies from her in the past and if you like her writing: Garden of Dreams

And Kelly McClymer, who's offering a freebie historical romance via Smashwords (The Fairy Tale Bride) has her chick-lit romance on sale via BVC for $2.99 after coupon as well: The Ex Files
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think probably the honeymoon period is over now that the initial 6 months are up and 25% off will be the new member discount price from now on, barring special sales.
[/URL]

And Kelly McClymer, who's offering a freebie historical romance via Smashwords (The Fairy Tale Bride) has her chick-lit romance on sale via BVC for $2.99 after coupon as well: The Ex Files
I think you may be right but they need to raise the discount a little if they are going to compete with Amazon. I will renew again just for the free books and special sales.

The Ex-Files is be offer free once Backlist books reaches a certain newsletter members number.

I am going through the books. They have raised the prices on almost all books. I don't think 25% is going to be default. This is sad.
There are some books that are still cheaper but not alot. I am seeing bigger discounts over 40% on some books so this is new.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

FREE:

Jane's Long March Home (Falling for a Hero) by Susan Lute
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Note: Harlequin Author

Quote:

2nd Edition.

There’s no place like home, and to Gunnery Sergeant Jane Donovan, home is the US Marine Corps, until she makes a mistake. A tragic mistake that costs an orphaned kid from the poorest part of Madrid his life. Now, because of a little insubordination and disorderly conduct on her part, she’s about to lose the one thing she values most, leaving her with one option. Put her future in the hands of Dr. Chase Russell, or become a civilian. The choice is hers.

Chase Russell has royally screwed up. Busy chasing a lucrative book deal that would legitimize his theories about treating war veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and let’s face it, give him a certain amount of fame too, he missed a client’s cry for help and subsequent admission to the hospital for a failed drug overdose. In the aftermath, he leaves his lucrative practice in Chicago to start over on a lovely, neglected Central Oregon ranch, looking for the peace and sanctuary he craves.

When the Marine arrives, nursing a cranky hip and an even crankier disposition, he wants nothing to do with her, but the fun is just beginning. Between helping two runaway kids, and taking the stubborn Marine through play therapy, what’s an ex-counselor to do, but make sure this hero finds her way home.

****RT Book Reviews

A heartwarming story about a veteran suffering from PTSD. Jane Donovan speaks for all the dedicated servicemen and women who are truly devoted to being Marines. Readers will feel as if they know these characters personally; they will experience the pain of war, while celebrating the strength and courage that is found to bring lives back from the brink of failure. A truly riveting story with beautiful characters and a plot you won’t soon forget.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
I don't know. I'd wait to see what happens on Tuesday. Last month's featured authors are still discounted 50%. Could just be the site hasn't been fully updated yet.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's one does look good to me too. I've never read steampunk though.
Can I recommend a book if you don't mind paper or you don't want to purchase them in e? The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook and Soulless by Gail Carriger. Okay, two books. Steampunk is really hit or miss for me, and I really liked these books. They're also the first books of series, so...world building!
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan_girl View Post
Can I recommend a book if you don't mind paper or you don't want to purchase them in e? The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook and Soulless by Gail Carriger. Okay, two books. Steampunk is really hit or miss for me, and I really liked these books. They're also the first books of series, so...world building!
Ooh I own them both! I just never read them. I didn't know the Carriger books were steampunk though? I thought they were paranormal Victorian cozy mysteries. I got the Iron Duke when it was on sale. Don't ask me when that was... it was maybe last year.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #23
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Ooh I own them both! I just never read them. I didn't know the Carriger books were steampunk though? I thought they were paranormal Victorian cozy mysteries.

From Carriger's website :
Quote:
I borrow a lot from traditional Gothic literature tropes. So while Soulless was loosely basted on a Gothic romance model, Changeless is more of a Gothic mystery. Blameless uses a lot of Gothic boy's adventure, Quartermain-style. Heartless borrows a bit from Sherlock Holmes and the cozies. Timeless is intended to be travel journal-esque.

They're a lot of fun, but the first is definitely the most like a romance.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
I've read the whole Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger and I highly recommend it. I would describe the books as a Victorian comedy of manners with supernatural creatures and romance. They are also laugh-out loud funny. There are definitely steampunk elements, not so much in the first and last book, but pretty strong in the second, third and fourth. It's a quite a mash-up. Alexia Tarabotti, the heroine, is fantastic and hilarious, and her romance with Conall, the alpha werewolf of London, is, hmm, well, hard to describe, but the romantic elements are strong and run throughout the series. As a romance reader, you won't be disappointed, although the romance is not the focus of the books.

As for The Iron Duke, from what I hear, that one is definitely steampunk romance. I've got the book on my TBR pile, but it's a paperback and since I'd rather read on my Kindle, I haven't gotten around to it yet.
worktolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Another +1 to the rec for Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. They're lots of fun as a spoofy alterna-Victorian parody and it's a complete series as of the 5th book, so you won't have to worry about dangling storylines. They're definitely primarily steampunk society adventures, but there's strong romantic elements in the 1st book and plenty of shippy stuff throughout them all (at least up through the 4th book, which is as far as I've read).

Here's my impression of the 1st & 2nd book from last year, plus some follow-up comments from other people who read the 1st in the Reading Recs forum, if you're morbidly curious.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Amazon had the bundle on sale last year for $9.99 and I bought them. Haven't read them yet but I put the bundle on my Fire so I'll read it soon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
I've read the whole Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger and I highly recommend it. I would describe the books as a Victorian comedy of manners with supernatural creatures and romance. They are also laugh-out loud funny. There are definitely steampunk elements, not so much in the first and last book, but pretty strong in the second, third and fourth. It's a quite a mash-up. Alexia Tarabotti, the heroine, is fantastic and hilarious, and her romance with Conall, the alpha werewolf of London, is, hmm, well, hard to describe, but the romantic elements are strong and run throughout the series. As a romance reader, you won't be disappointed, although the romance is not the focus of the books.
It's nice when a story has romantic elements in it and the focus point is more on the plot than the relationship. I think this is why I enjoy Cozies that have a touch of romance but not too much.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Another +1 to the rec for Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. They're lots of fun as a spoofy alterna-Victorian parody and it's a complete series as of the 5th book, so you won't have to worry about dangling storylines. They're definitely primarily steampunk society adventures, but there's strong romantic elements in the 1st book and plenty of shippy stuff throughout them all (at least up through the 4th book, which is as far as I've read).

Here's my impression of the 1st & 2nd book from last year, plus some follow-up comments from other people who read the 1st in the Reading Recs forum, if you're morbidly curious.
I do have these on my TBR list. I don't know if I will read them this year due to the reading contemporaries kick I have been on all year. The next Cozie series I plan to Start the High Heels one by Gemma Halliday. I got the audio edition of Spying in High Heels. I just need to finish the Rock Chick series. I'm on book 6 and there are currently only 7 books. The 8th book is suppose to come out this month but I know KA has just gotten back her computer the other day so I expect it to be delayed. She is currently working on the next Book in her Unfinished Hero series. I can only hope it's not as bad as Knight was.

I try to read 3 books at a time. So now I need to start two more. I am thinking Hell on Wheels will be one and the other a Christie Craig book.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #29
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
It's nice when a story has romantic elements in it and the focus point is more on the plot than the relationship. I think this is why I enjoy Cozies that have a touch of romance but not too much.
I love romance books that delve more into the story and relationship. Aside from the initial "oh he is good looking/hot" and well choreographed sex scenes - I love scenarios around their joint or separate lives and how they deal with it, decisions etc. I like to feel I've gotten to know a character's, well, character and enjoyed the journey of the story along with them....

In spite of being a prude in my real life, I find I can tolerate a fair amount of sex scenes in a story's context. But once in a while it is refreshing to read in a book, like my husband did yesterday as he showed me his reader on the bus, "And they made love in the fields", and that was the extent of the "sex scene".
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Barbour Books has alot of Heartsong Presents on Sale for $1.99
These are Inspirational category romance books. They are about the size of a Harlequin Presents. They are contemporary or historical.

I grew up on these. I have about 500 of them sitting behind me on a bookshelf. On my honeymoon I came across a bookstore selling them for $1 piece. I went a little hog wild adding about 100 to my collection. Some well known Inspirational authors got their start writing these. It was probably a few years later Harlequin came out with the Loved Inspired line. Now Harlequin owns them both. *sigh*

$1.99 isn't a bad price for these. I wouldn't pay more unless I was involved in a series. There are about 9 pages worth to look at. I even see a few I own and have read. It's a very nostalgic moment for me.