Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Perspective Amazon Kindle Fire buyer question

Do any of you miss not being able to get apps from the android apps store? I'm considering buying a fire, however I do not like the proprietary aspect of the fire although that may not be much of a barrier since there are so many apps already available. I have seen an article on PC World that shows how to jailbreak the fire and instal android market place on it.

What is your opinion about the proprietary nature of the fire?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
As someone new to Android, but a (former) user of the iPad, I have to say I'm mixed about the lack of access to the market.

I like the fact that the Amazon App Store is so tightly integrated in to the Fire, and that the apps that are in there are (generally) compatible with the Fire so I don't have to waste my time with apps that are out of date or incompatible for some reason. And I find the selection fairly good from the start, and I think it's only likely to get better - developer interest in the Amazon App Store is very high because of the millions of Fire's sold, so there will be a lot of apps added between now and x-mas for sure.

What I don't like is that there are some pretty important apps that aren't yet available in the Amazon store. Specifically for me there were two apps I absolutely needed; the NY Times app and Pogoplug. I was able to download both from other sources, and side-load them easily without jailbreaking, but finding them wasn't easy. Actually the Pogoplug app turned out to be incompatible, so that actually supports my first point.

Ultimately I think this is a temporary issue; most of the really good stuff will end up in the Amazon App Store and there will be tons of crap stuff too, but at least it will be working crap stuff. For those who are more inclined to mess with non-mainstream apps, side-loading is easy enough to do without jailbreaking, and if you need to you can get the Android Market on the Fire pretty easily now (apparently using SuperOneClick works) but frankly I'm not sure I see the need at this point.

EDIT: Just to be clear, you don't actually need to "jailbreak" the fire to get apps from other places - they can be easily loaded by USB. The only problem is that the Fire doesn't have direct access to the Market, so if they Fire is your only Android device you have to find the apps in other places. If you already have an active Market account, it is my understanding that you can use that account to download apps to your PC and then transfer them to your Fire without any problem.

Last edited by weatherman; 12-01-2011 at 10:28 AM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Do any of you miss not being able to get apps from the android apps store?
You can side-load and install apps that are not in the Amazon app store, so it's mostly an inconvenience, really.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The lack of direct market access hasn't been much of a problem yet. I was able to sideload Dropbox, Youtube and a couple of other apps that I really wanted. There are a few things I wish Amazon carried, like extra maps for Age of Conquest, but nothing major for me personally.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I've never used the android market. Amazon has enough for me as the Kimdle fire is not my primary tablet (really, so I need more than one? Lol!!) I have plenty of apps on my iPad & don't want to re-buy any apps if I don't need too. & as ores said you can still sideload. I like the security & quality control at the amazon app store provides. Plus I don't have to creat another account & give out my credit card again. One downside that others have said is that you may not necessarily have the latest app update also. That's ok for me because like I said I'm not in much of a hurry to have many apps.

One other thing to think about. Imagine the tide turning because of the popularity of the fire now. Developers will be submitting to the amazon app store quicker & amazon will work to ensure quick updates. I'm assuming of course. Lol.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
It hasn't been a problem for me at all either. The fact that you can sideload apps very easily (and super thanks to everyone for the great info here) makes it a non-issue in my mind. I've only run into one or two apps that don't seem to work, even sideloaded, and as others have said, the Amazon Marketplace is going to grow quickly with the popularity of the Fire.
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Getting apps from other places isn't really a problem. Just takes another step or two. No big deal.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
gilly78201
gilly78201 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
I'm glad we can sideload. if we couldn't, then I'd be annoyed
gilly78201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Apple has pretty much spoiled me when it comes to apps and ease of use but I'm very happy with my Fire, it's my first android product through I've been told it acts more like iOS than a Droid. I loaded the SlideMe App so I could get more Apps then the tiny collection Amazon has for the fire. I still play my Monopoly on my iPad and don't plan to buy the Fire app of the game anytime soon.

Last edited by pagansoul; 12-01-2011 at 02:58 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
There are plenty other markets out there you can get your apps from.
See this thread here So lack of the Official Market is not a problem really.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I'm not finding it a problem at all, but then I've had an Android phone for a couple of years so if I need an app I just download it onto my phone, back it up using ES File Explorer, and then either share it thru that or put it into Dropbox. This is my sister's first Android experience, though, and she's having a little more difficulty figuring out how to obtain and sideload apps since she doesn't have another Android device.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
While this problem is not specific to Fire, there is a more general problem related to Android software markets. Since there are so many of them apps tend to move from one another or completely disappear as developers opt to sell the app directly. So several apps that I purchased some time ago on my Android Phone are not on the market any more so I can't install them on my KF without paying again.

Wolfram Alpha is still on Android Market but is considered incompativle with KF. The same app is available though amazon market for the same $3 it is somehow majically compatible so I have to pay again for the app that I've already purchased.

For all Apples shortcomings, such problem is non-existent there in principle
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
While this problem is not specific to Fire, there is a more general problem related to Android software markets. Since there are so many of them apps tend to move from one another or completely disappear as developers opt to sell the app directly. So several apps that I purchased some time ago on my Android Phone are not on the market any more so I can't install them on my KF without paying again.

Wolfram Alpha is still on Android Market but is considered incompativle with KF. The same app is available though amazon market for the same $3 it is somehow majically compatible so I have to pay again for the app that I've already purchased.

For all Apples shortcomings, such problem is non-existent there in principle
This is why it's good to back up your apps. I backup my apps using ES File Explorer. You can then install them on any device it will work on. If it's one thing buying ebooks has taught me. Backup your stuff you never know when something will be come unavailable.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Seems I'm ok with androidpit with downloading apk files and installing them. I can find them on my KF's app list afterwards.

I have tried freewarelovers as well for the google map app, it downloads and installs but I chose not to open it directly when prompted. I closed out and I'm also able to find it on my KF's app list.

So to the OP, if I can do this as a trial I guess I'm not missing anything (at least not yet).

Last edited by robertc88; 12-03-2011 at 11:15 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
For me the lack of access was more than an inconvenience. I also didn't want to make extra steps each time. So, I rooted my Fire and installed Android Market. Then I used OTA Rootkeeper to restore Amazon Video. Now I have Nook and many other apps installed. The only issue is that the icons for Market apps look bad because they are resized to Fire's larger icon size.

Last edited by osnova; 12-03-2011 at 11:59 AM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote