Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #3961
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've failed in my attempt to keep my ebooks spending below £240 this year.

Non-free ebooks bought: 175
Total cost of ebooks bought: £274.80

I'm now aiming to end the year having reduced the monetary value of my TBR by reading books that cost me more than I've spent on new ebooks.

Total cost of ebooks read this year: £265.67

I might just make that, with a bit more restraint.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #3962
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But it's the same bugaboo; will I actually reread it? As with the mysteries, rereading is something I rarely do anymore.
There is a *lot* of stuff I want to read. Some books I've read over and over in the past, mainly because of the lack of physical space and money to buy new ones (during my university days). A few years ago when I got an e-reader, I've decided I'd start over.

I've bought ALL of my books as e-books, and started with the book that got me back into reading for pleasure in 2000: The Lord of the Rings.

(In between 1991 and 1999 I was in high school, and had to read about (edit: 10) books in Dutch, French, German and English each, and in the latter years 30 books in Dutch and English each... that was quite enough to read on top of homework and textbooks.)

Since then, I've been rereading everything I had in paper, alongside new stuff (I'm actually almost done), and I have decided that if a book I'm reading does not turn out to be an absolute favorite, there's only a small chance that I'll ever reread it. The chance of rereading a Fantasy series is becoming very slim... or it must turn out to be absolutely epic at the scale of Lord of the Rings.

At this time, I've only encountered very few books that I would put at this level:

Lord of the Rings (In comparison, I don't really like The Hobbit that much)
The Silmarillion
Shogun
Mushashi
Mutiny on the Bounty
A Christmas Carol
The first six Drizzt books
The Avatar Trilogy/Quintet
Stephen King's IT

I'm not going to waste any more time by rereading 'middle of the list' books.

For example, Eddings' The Belgariad and The Malloreon were quite good. The Elenium and The Tamuli were OK, but in a VERY similar vein, sharing many concepts. Fun reads, but not worth it to reread a third time.

Some fantasy series such as The Sword of Truth I might never even start, because the latter books get too many mediocre reviews and I dislike quitting a series in the middle.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-15-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #3963
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read the first Sword of Truth book and didn't like it. Problem solved.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #3964
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
There is a *lot* of stuff I want to read. Some books I've read over and over in the past, mainly because of the lack of physical space and money to buy new ones (during my university days). A few years ago when I got an e-reader, I've decided I'd start over.

I've bought ALL of my books as e-books, and started with the book that got me back into reading for pleasure in 2000: The Lord of the Rings.

(In between 1991 and 1999 I was in high school, and had to read about books in Dutch, French, German and English each, and in the latter years 30 books in Dutch and English each... that was quite enough to read on top of homework and textbooks.)

Since then, I've been rereading everything I had in paper, alongside new stuff (I'm actually almost done), and I have decided that if a book I'm reading does not turn out to be an absolute favorite, there's only a small chance that I'll ever reread it. The chance of rereading a Fantasy series is becoming very slim... or it must turn out to be absolutely epic at the scale of Lord of the Rings.

At this time, I've only encountered very few books that I would put at this level:

Lord of the Rings (In comparison, I don't really like The Hobbit that much)
The Silmarillion
Shogun
Mushashi
Mutiny on the Bounty
A Christmas Carol
The first six Drizzt books
The Avatar Trilogy/Quintet
Stephen King's IT

I'm not going to waste any more time by rereading 'middle of the list' books.

For example, Eddings' The Belgariad and The Malloreon were quite good. The Elenium and The Tamuli were OK, but in a VERY similar vein, sharing many concepts. Fun reads, but not worth it to reread a third time.

Some fantasy series such as The Sword of Truth I might never even start, because the latter books get too many mediocre reviews and I dislike quitting a series in the middle.
Have you read any of the other James Clavell books?
Or do I have him confused with James Michener?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #3965
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Have you read any of the other James Clavell books?
I haven't read them yet, but I do own all of them as e-books and they are on my reader. As soon as I feel like reading some Really Long Stuff That Takes Ages To Finish™, I'll read one of them.

Same goes for Taiko, by the same writer as Musashi.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #3966
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've fallen off the wagon and bought 7 books in the Gollancz gollanczfest sale. I sort of regret some of them already. It could have been even worse if I didn't already own quite a lot of them.

Back into the red on my TBR.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 AM   #3967
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I bought three graphic novels over the weekend. In my defense, all three were (a) on my wishlist, (b) discounted for Batman Day, and (c) paid for with Amazon credit, which I build up at about $25/week. That's the next best thing to freebies, in my book; I've been using those credits to pay for my Amazon purchases since about the beginning of the year.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #3968
DrNefario
Wizard

I don't count graphic novels. Silly really, I probably spend more on them than on books some months. I guess I don't have that many that I need to keep an eye on the growth rate.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #3969
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must admit I haven't counted the Graphic Novels I got at Dark Hourse Comics. Mainly because they're online only and DRMed, and I don't think there's a way to download them, let alone strip DRM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #3970
DrNefario
Wizard

There's a book on my kindle watch list that has slowly been inching down in price for many days.

I can't help feeling that this is some kind of automated price-match or exchange-rate glitch, and that someone is going to notice sooner or later and fix it back to its original price. This makes it somewhat like a game of chicken. The longer I wait, the cheaper it will be, but if I wait too long I'll miss it completely.

It's very tense.

(Actually, I'm kind of holding out until it's definitely less than I could get it with that 50% off coupon from Kobo.)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #3971
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Feeling all virtuous as, including freebies, I've only acquired 71 books so far this year
Mind you there was that massive splurge at the end of 2015 fuelled by all those £3 digi credits that I had accumulated between Black Friday and Xmas...
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #3972
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I'm trying really hard not to buy anything. Except for the monthly Star Trek. Passing up sales left and right! (learned my lesson there.)
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #3973
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Bob, I don't count freebies no matter where they come from, even Amazon shipping bonus. I wish though they didn't expire so quickly. Great supplements for buying series that are not on sale at the time you are ready for the next. Still, I will be starting to chalk those up starting this week.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:22 AM   #3974
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Five days in, and no purchases so far in October!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:36 AM   #3975
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Five days in, and no purchases so far in October!
Well done Other than my Kindle 1st and Samsung freebies, I've bought another 3 so far but they were all on my wish list, reduced to 99p/£1.49 and I had a few digital credits lurking... Also, I got extra money courtesy of Amazon... A promotion was showing on my screen yesterday: £3 extra for giving myself at least £60 to spend using Top Up.

Still, I'm quite pleased with myself this year because I've read more books than I've acquired so TBR total down by about 70 so far.

I do have a preorder but since it will be released January 1st, it doesn't count
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote