Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #46
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
That makes sense. I STRONGLY suspect that any real research is going to show that it's More Complicated Than That, and that eyestrain really depends a lot on the biology of the person reading, the ambient lighting conditions, and so much more than just EINK OR LCD?
Well, I know that I can read for hours on my PRS-505, but I can only manage 20-30 minutes reading on the Nook Color.

I'm over 50, so I freely acknowledge that someone younger might not have a problem with it, but I definitely do.

I would love to be able to use an all-in-one device, but I can't.

Sorry to actually beat the dead horse.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #47
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Zombie horse forgives you.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #48
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
THIS FEATURE is unimportant to me, so no manufacturer/developer should include it.
Can't believe I missed that one, either.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #49
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Wait, wait we must then have the obligatory "LCD screens hurt my eyes, thus they mustbhurt everyone's -- my eye doctor says so"

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #50
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
But you effectively covered that in #41-3 so shouldn't we have - Posting and reading MR rots the brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Wait, wait we must then have the obligatory "LCD screens hurt my eyes, thus they mustbhurt everyone's -- my eye doctor says so"

Lee
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #51
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
But you effectively covered that in #41-3 so shouldn't we have - Posting and reading MR rots the brain!
Eh, he could be using the age-old technique of "post now, read (and maybe edit) later". I remember someone saying that was okay. Speaking of whom, is the multi-quote argument a dead horse yet?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #52
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Eh, I'm now 50 & I've been doing the majority of my reading on lcd screens for years. I can read very comfortably on both my Sony reader & my lcd screen for hours on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Well, I know that I can read for hours on my PRS-505, but I can only manage 20-30 minutes reading on the Nook Color.

I'm over 50, so I freely acknowledge that someone younger might not have a problem with it, but I definitely do.

I would love to be able to use an all-in-one device, but I can't.

cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #53
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
DEAD HORSE ALERT: on another thread, we are just starting another round of "just read your ereader during take off and landing, nothing will happen/OMG YOU WILL KILL US ALL/why can't everyone just follow the rules?"

Watch for it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I've already mentioned that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #55
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
DEAD HORSE ALERT: on another thread, we are just starting another round of "just read your ereader during take off and landing, nothing will happen/OMG YOU WILL KILL US ALL/why can't everyone just follow the rules?"

Watch for it.

eP
LOL I was watching that one yesterday and waiting for it to head in that direction. Nice dead horse spotting, eP!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
AMAZON is #1 WORLDWIDE AND EVERYTHING ELSE HAS CRAPPY SALES .

EBOOKS START AND END AT THE USA BORDER. THE REST OF THE WORLD DOESN'T MATTER.

ARTICLES THAT MENTION SALES FIGURES WHEN SALES FIGURES ARE NEVER RELEASED ARE THE GOSPEL TRUTH AND WE SHOULD BOW TO THEM.

AMAZON IS #1 OUTSIDE THE USA WHERE EPUB IS THE #1 FORMAT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #57
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
12. THE AGENCY MODEL IS BAD. IT NEEDS TO GO AWAY.
Has to be followed by

13. AGENCY PRICING, WE DID IT FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! SOMEBODY HAS TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM AMAZON AND THEIR LOW PRICES!!!!! (and I'd happily pay triple for books. If you won't, they you probably hate authors)
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #58
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

Watch for it.

eP
Interesting. I have to admit being confused as to this one. Is the concern over the 3G/WiFi capabilities? My itty bitty widdle PocketBook 360 has neither, but I suppose I wouldn't be able to convince the steward/ess of that.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #59
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Interesting. I have to admit being confused as to this one. Is the concern over the 3G/WiFi capabilities? My itty bitty widdle PocketBook 360 has neither, but I suppose I wouldn't be able to convince the steward/ess of that.
Wireless radio interference is only a part of it. It also has to do with electronic devices emitting EMI. One itty bitty Pocketbook 360 is not a problem. A plane full of malfunctioning Pocketbook 360s could potentially, possibly, theoretically be a problem. Maybe. It's one of those "yeah, but what if EVERYBODY did it" things. It is subject to speculation and debate.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #60
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Fascinating, thank you for the explanation.

I do admit that it would seem like more plane malfunctions are caused by the owning company deciding to skimp on maintenance and training in order to bolster bottom-line profit than a handful of readers. But yeah, that one seems like a good candidate for the Dead Horse pile.