Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
kaar
kaar began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
another first buyer looking for advice

Hello everyone

I've been looking at the different available options ; both specs-wise and price-wise and I think I've narrowed it down to 2...

* The absolute topend of my budget is €250 (which converts to about $375).

* I'll be using it for normal, leasure reading which I will buy/download from where-ever I happen to find them. So the more formats it can deal with, the better.

* I'm also planning to use it for text/html/pdf files of my own making.
I'll be starting 2 courses soon and I'm hoping to be able to take the literature for them with me on an e-reader.
(I'm a motorcyclist, I don't own a car so the lighter the travel the better )

* I must admit that in theory I love the idea of being able to make notes in my e-books, especially since I am planning to use it for my courses. But at the same time I wonder how much I would really use it when it comes down to it: I will have a small paper notebook with me anyway and when I'm completely honest: this seems to be one of those gadgets that I really want to have but will hardly use in the end

I did look at the Sony Touch because of this, but since so many of you seem to prefer the 505 instead, I'm taking your word on that and dropped that model from my shortlist.
I've also looked around for more news about the Bebook 2, which should have a touchscreen. But fall has arrived and there is still no word about it on their website so I'm not waiting any longer with making my choice.

* mp3 support would be nice, as I do use audiobooks around the house to keep myself entertained while doing chores and it would save me from moving my laptop with me from room to room while I go around the house

So, based on those things and seeing what is easily available in my country, I've narrowed it down to either the Sony PRS 505 (also because so many of you seem to be big supporters of this particular model) and the Bebook.

The Sony being the cheaper one but I'm a bit hesitant because they are also a brand with their own store, supporting their own books and their own software. It makes me wonder if they will become a kind of Amazon-lite.
(this being the exact reason why a Kindle would never be a possibility for me, I like to decide what to read or delete from my bookshelves myself)

The Bebook is a bit more expensive for me and I've heard both good and bad feedback for their customer support. But their reviews in general are good, they are opensource (which is a big bonus in my book) and they are a local company.

I'm curious to your thoughts on both my reasoning and other suitable options I might have missed.
kaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
they are opensource
I'd be careful if you expect that. Openinkpot supports HanLin V3. It can't be the same as the firmware that comes from BeBook on it's version of HanLin V3, because Openinkpot doesn't do DRM. BeBook's two firmwares alternatively support epub DRM or Mobipocket DRM.

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, kaar.

I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful suggestions......the hard part is actually choosing one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
An interesting pair of choices. In fact I got the V3 BeBook last May because it was cheaper than the Sony 505 (then), then got a discounted 505 late last month so I could dive into the Google-Books with 'an industry standard' reader.
As it happens, I really like the folder organization on the BeBook. I haven't yet started figuring out the Sony 'collections', but alphabetical by title drives me bats, by author is somewhat better, and by date is useless.
As far as I can tell, the screen contrast is identical. Page-turning is equally easy. The Sony weighs a little less with its cover, but I had to use the scale to be sure. Oddly enough, I feel more comfortable with the BeBook.

I guess the major difference is the number of formats supported - the BeBook wins for sure, especially since the old Mobi-DRM is still available from BeBook.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Welcome!

Welcome to MR!

I recently joined MR myself and spent a couple months reading this site and doing research. I ultimately chose the Sony 505 because it has consistently received great reviews and is a solid product. The new devices coming out are tempting but I'd rather see a proven track record for the new features before spending the money. I do like my 505 and do not regret the purchase. I purchased a device to save room and make traveling easier (no extra weight from 5-6 books). Even though that model has been discontinued you can still find some in stores or a used unit in the flea market forum on this site.

Good luck!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You might want to wait and see what happens when the Txtr and the PocketBook 602 come out. They might be better for you that the ones you listed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
. I haven't yet started figuring out the Sony 'collections', but alphabetical by title drives me bats, by author is somewhat better, and by date is useless.
Funny you should mention that because I use the "sort by date" a lot, since when I add stuff to my reader, I want to read it immediately.

Also, to the OP, I don't think you should discount the PRS-600. I have the PRS-505, but I was going to order myself a PRS-600 from Sam's Club since they have a lenient return policy. I really want a dictionary with my reader. And I find the buttons a little hard on the thumbs, after a while.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
kaar

guys, and girls, thanks for your imput!

I hadn't even thought about the organisation possibilities, but that's a good one, considering I might want to keep my "fun" stuff and "study" stuff separate...

pilotbob: I will look up both those readers and read up on them: I hadn't seen those before because I hadn't looked for the ones that are not available yet.
I just hope they won't introduce them at a too high a price...

A friend and I just made a shopping date for this upcoming Thursday and, amongst other things, we'll hit one or 2 eclectronics stores and I've decided to have a closer look at and testdrive whichever readers they will have for sale instead of just looking at them online.
Including the PRS 600...

btw: what is Sam's Club, is it an online thing too?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rireed3 View Post
I'd be careful if you expect that. Openinkpot supports HanLin V3. It can't be the same as the firmware that comes from BeBook on it's version of HanLin V3, because Openinkpot doesn't do DRM. BeBook's two firmwares alternatively support epub DRM or Mobipocket DRM.

Richard
I'm quoting my own post because 'open source' poses another issue that I didn't think of at the time.

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is, as you suspect being used by reader makers to lock in users. Sony isn't quite as bad because they have picked Adobe DRM which encrypts the epub format, and many book sellers outside the US distribute using Adobe DRM, so Sony readers aren't one-seller-only like the Kindle. By the way, Kindle always reminds me of "Farenheit 451"

It is possible to circumvent all the big DRMs outside the readers, but the readers don't usually have even the unencrypted versions of competing formats, so the standard firmwares of nearly all manufacturers have half or less of the the possible formats, regardless of DRM.

Openinkpot intentionally doesn't handle DRM'd files, but if fully implemented does all the unencrypted formats. BeBook has a fairly full implementation of Openinkpot, if I'm not mistaken, and I'm fairly certain you'd be able to flash back to a standard BeBook firmware if you didn't like Openinkpot.

So that's another approach for you to consider.

Richard
Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
rireed3
Connoisseur

Quote:
btw: what is Sam's Club, is it an online thing too?
If I'm not mistaken it's a buyer's club warehouse operation of Walmart, 'Sam' being a reference to Sam Walton. I don't know if they're on line, but it would probably be a subscription service.

Richard

Last edited by rireed3; 10-27-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
kaar

I went to the electronic store the other day: all they had were the Bebook Mini, COOL-er and a Bookeen (I think a Cybook Gen3 or something like that). They normally have the normal Bebook aswell but it had sold out and they didn't get restocked yet. I'll drop by again in a week or so to see if they have it, and try it.

I was a bit disappointed to see no Sony's though, to compare so I'll have a look around if there is a Sony store around someplace...
I know there is one at Amsterdam Airport and we happen to go away for a weekend at the end of the month so if I can't find one before then, we'll kill some time there after having checked in :-)

I didn't care for the COOL-er but played around a bit with it just to get a feel for it and I noticed that with my longer fingernails it was hard to operate the circle-shaped controller at the bottom corner of it: it was too flat and I really had to press with the top of my nail insted of being able to use my fingertip: may sound like a very silly (girly) thing but since I usually have my nails fairly long, it is something for me to take into consideration.

I have looked in the pocketbook threads here, and also checked their website and those look really nice! Gemany isn't that far away for me so I'm thinking of planning a shoppingtrip there to see and feel them in person.

So, my search is still ongoing!

to be continued....
Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaar View Post
I went to the electronic store the other day: all they had were the Bebook Mini, COOL-er and a Bookeen (I think a Cybook Gen3 or something like that). They normally have the normal Bebook aswell but it had sold out and they didn't get restocked yet. I'll drop by again in a week or so to see if they have it, and try it.
Wow, that is quite a good selection to have in a Brick & Mortar store.

I guess the Netherlands is pretty techie.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Since nobody addressed this, I'll tackle one statement you made:
Quote:
The Sony being the cheaper one but I'm a bit hesitant because they are also a brand with their own store, supporting their own books and their own software. It makes me wonder if they will become a kind of Amazon-lite.
(this being the exact reason why a Kindle would never be a possibility for me, I like to decide what to read or delete from my bookshelves myself)

Yes, Sony does have their own online bookstore, but you don't have to buy from them. There are a variety of places you can buy or download books for free that will work.
The PRS-505 supports TXT, DOC, PDF, and epub, all of which are can be used on different devices. With Calibre software, you can even buy ebooks in some other format and convert to the Sony LRF format or epub. So options are pretty good.

Ultimately, I recommend you buy what best suits your needs and preferences. I have the Sony PRS-505, and I usually just like to straighten out some of the misperceptions that people have of it -- usually being related to the Sony store.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
kaar

Vic: that's what the whole point of my thinking "outloud" is: get my misinterpretations straightened out!
I think Richard (reree3) also mentioned Sony not being a one-place only brand, which is good to know. I am still planning on visiting the Sony store and see which devices they still offer and which I could try.
I will also look at the ones with the touchscreens: I've heard read about the extra glare and less crisp lettering they might have and I think it's something one should see in person before thinking wether or not one could live with it.

I have also looked on a ebay like website here to see whether readers get a lot cheaper when buying used but at the same time I find it a bit scary to buy a used one: you never know where it's been and what happened to it.
But, they are people who offer 505's and Bebooks for sale so I will be keeping my eye on those aswell....

The Pocketbook website has added serious competition to my list of candidates though!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
kaar

And then I happened upon a reasonably priced, almost not-used Bebook and decided to go for it!

And sofar I love it to bits!
I think it has been the right choice to get this one to play around with and to see whether I'll truely continue using it even after the new and fun has worn off.
In the mean while the newer generation has the time to develop a bit more and in a year or 2 or so I'll be able to upgrade should I feel the need to.

But for now: I'm going to spend loads of time with my Bebook, learning to be able to use it to its full potential

thanks you all for your imput and opinions