Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Moon+ Reader 1.3 released

I just installed and haven't had time to test it out, but according to the What's New statement it looks like a significant upgrade:

v1.3:
  • Full optimization for Galaxy SII, support samsung TTS, improve media control, status bar, background, etc.
  • Important upgrade for hyphenization & justified alignment, support full font-styles mixed with images; fix overlapped lines matter in end of chapter which has lasted for long time.
  • Add "Preview with publisher formatting" button, preview books with table, inner CSS, iframe, javascript, image zoom request, etc.
  • Fix book cover management error; fix book import crash bug; fix rooted phone with Add-hunter crash bug.

EDIT:
After quick review here are a few comments.
  • Whole progress bar (how far through the entire book you are) is showing incorrect progress. For example, on beginning of chapter 6 of a 14 chapter book it shows Whole progress at 100%, but it should show about 30%.
  • Still no two-page landscape view. No big deal for phones, but the larger the screen the more lacking this becomes. IMO the NC screen is large enough to benefit greatly from two-page landscape view.
  • Never mind...
  • Never mind...
  • Highlighting seems to work better now. You no longer have to quickly drag the text selection handles before the dictionary window pops up. You can drag the handles at your leisure.
  • Autoscrolling seriously flawed when using by pixel setting. The interface is annoying and it seemed to continuously scroll the current page over and over again. I never tried this function before, so this might have been true for earlier versions. Works fine with by line setting.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-29-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
[*]Still only has ColorDict support, so internet connection is required. Not sure why offline support isn't possible....
You can access the dictionary offline within the app. You download it from the Market.

Quote:
...[*]While trying to select a word, the screen fluctuates up and down quite a bit. Workable but annoying....
Have you disabled scroll? Go into Settings (from within a book) / Miscellaneous then look for "Some special options" at the bottom of that screen. There's an option to "Disable vertical scrolling on touch".

Last edited by SCION; 05-29-2011 at 01:45 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You can access the dictionary offline within the app. You download it from the Market.
I did download the app and data files from the market. But as soon as I turn off WiFi the dictionary states "word not found" for any and all words. I'm pretty sure the offline dictionary worked in version 1.2.xxx, although the offline ColorDict dictionary is not very good anyway. I wish apps would let us link to a dictionary app like the WM and PalmOS reader apps did years ago. That way you could buy your favorite applicable dictionary from a third-party vendor and link to it.

Quote:
Have you disabled scroll? Go into Settings (from within a book) / Miscellaneous then look for "Some special options" at the bottom of that screen. There's an option to "Disable vertical scrolling on touch".
I have NOT disabled vertical scrolling. Should I?

I'm using CM7.0.3 installed on eMMC. Moon+ Reader is installed on SD card as that seems to make some apps more stable. Data of course is stored on SD which is an 8gb class 10 card.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-29-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Great post! And great write up thanks.
Quote:
I just installed and haven't had time to test it out, but according to the What's New statement it looks like a significant upgrade:
v1.3:
  • Important upgrade for hyphenization & justified alignment, support full font-styles mixed with images; fix overlapped lines matter in end of chapter which has lasted for long time.
  • Add "Preview with publisher formatting" button, preview books with table, inner CSS, iframe, javascript, image zoom request, etc.
These are nice features, and I really liked hyphenation. The preview w/correct CSS doesn't make sense, and it works great but you lose the ability to annotate.

My one real gripe with this product is it does not support CSS. I hope in the future will be part of the main view and not some "preview " mode.

Quote:
EDIT:
After quick review here are a few comments.
  • Whole progress bar (how far through the entire book you are) is showing incorrect progress. For example, on beginning of chapter 6 of a 14 chapter book it shows Whole progress at 100%, but it should show about 30%.
  • Still no two-page landscape view. No big deal for phones, but the larger the screen the more lacking this becomes. IMO the NC screen is large enough to benefit greatly from two-page landscape view.
  • Still only has ColorDict support, so internet connection is required. Not sure why offline support isn't possible.
  • While trying to select a word, the screen fluctuates up and down quite a bit. Workable but annoying.
  • Highlighting seems to work better now. You no longer have to quickly drag the text selection handles before the dictionary window pops up. You can drag the handles at your leisure.
  • Autoscrolling seriously flawed. The interface is annoying and it seemed to continuously scroll the current page over and over again. I never tried this function before, so this might have been true for earlier versions.
Moon supports multiple offline directories in addition to online dictionary. ColorDict also supports many multiple dictionaries. One of those dictionaries is wiki which does require the Internet. If you disable the Wiki dictionary ColorDict doesn't require the Internet.

Do you recall a while back I agreed with you that Moon's selection mechanism was kind of bad(the selection fluctuated for me too) and so was the performance. Well I don't experience those problems anymore since version 1.3. At first I thought Moon fixed these problems on 1.3, but I'm realizing the fix was really due to the fact that I upgrades to CM7 build 87. I've seen a performance increase overall in most apps with this build Moon included.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have NOT disabled vertical scrolling. Should I?

I'm using CM7.0.3 installed on eMMC. Moon+ Reader is installed on SD card as that seems to make some apps more stable. Data of course is stored on SD which is an 8gb class 10 card.
My suggestion was based on me not experiencing that problem. If it doesn't apply, I guess just disregard it. If you're saying that it didn't fluctuate prior to the update O.K. Sometimes it's difficult to know where people are at in their familiarity with an app. Wasn't trying to talk down to you or insult you. Just trying to help.

Also, the dictionary works for me with no WiFi. Perhaps you were trying the Wiki as mentioned by =X=?

I have Moon+ installed internally.

Last edited by SCION; 05-29-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I switched to Fora dictionary and that works offline. For some reason ColorDict is not working on my device for any reader app including Coolreader. So it must not be a Moon+ Reader issue.

But good gosh, who designed that horrible menu system within Moon+?!? It is easier to launch the Space Shuttle than find menu items. Android and its apps remind me a lot of the old WM (Windows Mobile). Like a lot of people I outgrew PalmOS and relunctantly switched to WM, but the WM menu system (read UI) was horrible. I really think Android is even more convoluted and non-intuitive. Keep in mind that I worked for various software companies for a quarter of a century and making products that were easily navigable was a huge priority with them. I know it takes a lot more than good programmers to create a good UI, they need to use a top notch UI design team made up of folks from various professions other than just programming. And what ever happened to KISS--Keep It Simple Stupid? I realize many Android geeks love this kind of system, but the average Android user is going to be totally lost in the UI maze.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I switched to Fora dictionary and that works offline. For some reason ColorDict is not working on my device for any reader app including Coolreader. So it must not be a Moon+ Reader issue.

But good gosh, who designed that horrible menu system within Moon+?!? It is easier to launch the Space Shuttle than find menu items. Android and its apps remind me a lot of the old WM (Windows Mobile). Like a lot of people I outgrew PalmOS and relunctantly switched to WM, but the WM menu system (read UI) was horrible. I really think Android is even more convoluted and non-intuitive. Keep in mind that I worked for various software companies for a quarter of a century and making products that were easily navigable was a huge priority with them. I know it takes a lot more than good programmers to create a good UI, they need to use a top notch UI design team made up of folks from various professions other than just programming. And what ever happened to KISS--Keep It Simple Stupid? I realize many Android geeks love this kind of system, but the average Android user is going to be totally lost in the UI maze.
You're right about the UI! It's one of the reasons I installed and uninstalled a couple of times. Didn't want to take the time to wade through all of it.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
You're right about the UI! It's one of the reasons I installed and uninstalled a couple of times. Didn't want to take the time to wade through all of it.
Definitely frustrating! I'm a technical writer by profession, so my inclination was try to find a good book about Android. I found Android for non-techie people types of books which did little more than illustrate how to use a phone, and I found programmer references which or of little use to me as they are for developing Android apps. I would love to find a good book that covers the UI and settings, but haven't yet. So at this point it is just trial and error and frustration.

For those of you who are old enough to remember the DOS days, apps pretty much used their own unique UI. It took a while to learn each app because you had no clue where settings and functions were located or how to get to them until you read the manual or used the app. It was a mess! Then along came the Macintosh and Mac apps started to appear with similar UIs. You only had to learn what the File menu or Edit menu did once as it would be mostly the same for each program. The use of common menus and functionality made it a lot easier and quicker to learn new apps. Eventually Microsoft incorporated this concept into Windows. As I look at Android apps I think they are much closer to the "do your on thing" days of DOS than to the refined systems of Macs and Windows. Each Android reader app seems to have a rather unique interface and unique way of hiding settings and functions.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-29-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
... The preview w/correct CSS doesn't make sense, and it works great but you lose the ability to annotate.

My one real gripe with this product is it does not support CSS. I hope in the future will be part of the main view and not some "preview " mode...
How do you access the preview mode?

I hope they implement publisher default soon. There are times when I just want to use it. In fact, if I can't get a book to look "right" I use another app with publisher default. There have been many regular updates with the app and it offers much. For that reason I purchased it in support.

Last edited by SCION; 05-29-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Corrected sentence to include "publisher default".
Old 05-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The publisher default has already been implemented and looks very nice. The downside to this mode is annotations do not work in this mode.

Think of it as a "view mode" to enable this mode tap in the middle of the screen to get the menu options. On the top, just right of the progress bar, there is a new icon. that icon is the publisher's view mode. The press on the button to enable the view.

Note that button on the nook is Very hard to push because that is one of the "blind" spots. It takes me several attempts to enable the mode. To disable I just hit the annotate button and it will ask if you want to leave the mode. I recommend you note where you are in the book if you try to enable that view because the chance of you hitting the end of the progress bar is very likely.

On my samsung phone the button is easily enabled.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The publisher default has already been implemented and looks very nice. The downside to this mode is annotations do not work in this mode.

Think of it as a "view mode" to enable this mode tap in the middle of the screen to get the menu options. On the top, just right of the progress bar, there is a new icon. that icon is the publisher's view mode. The press on the button to enable the view.

Note that button on the nook is Very hard to push because that is one of the "blind" spots. It takes me several attempts to enable the mode. To disable I just hit the annotate button and it will ask if you want to leave the mode. I recommend you note where you are in the book if you try to enable that view because the chance of you hitting the end of the progress bar is very likely.

On my samsung phone the button is easily enabled.
Hmmm, I don't have that option. Guess I should uninstall and re-install. *sigh* Don't know why that would be though. Whee I select "About" it shows version 1.3.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Hmmm, I don't have that option. Guess I should uninstall and re-install. *sigh* Don't know why that would be though. Whee I select "About" it shows version 1.3.
Well, that was a total waste of time. Still no icon.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Well, that was a total waste of time. Still no icon.
It works on my install too. But I had to flash CM7 build 87 to get Moon+ 1.3 to run stable.

Are you running the paid version? I'm running the freeware version.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Unreal. I had to go into Miscellaneous settings and enable "Show Preview with publisher formatting Button on top bar".

This is fabulous. There's one book that just would not display footnote links properly. Now it does with the publisher default. Woo Hoo!!! Now I don't have to use another app for this option.

Edit: I just saw your post Jack. Thanks though. I'm running the paid version. I thought it was not included in this version while troubleshooting. Sent an email to developer. Will need to let him/her know I figured it out. Duh.

Last edited by SCION; 05-29-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

This is fabulous. There's one book that just would not display footnote links properly. Now it does with the publisher default.
Woops, I misspoke. This is not the case. Hyperlinks aren't recognized with publisher default. The formatting issue was fixed, so I assumed if I clicked on it, it would take me to the footnote.

The good news is the formatting issue was fixed in non-publisher default mode. I guess the
Quote:
Important upgrade for hyphenation & justified allignment ...
did the trick.

Also, the publisher default doesn't allow for page turning -- just scrolling.