Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #2836
Biberkopf
Biberkopf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3G+wifi
Hi there,
I've uploaded the jaibreak on my kindle and then the python, but it didn't create the linkss folder, only a file called linkjail. What's wrong ?
Thanks for your help !
Biberkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #2837
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
jailbreak is not the same as screensavers hack. You also need to install the screensavers hack.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #2838
Biberkopf
Biberkopf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3G+wifi
Thanks qlob.
I did so and now I'm a step further but not done yet, because I have a white screen as a screensaver. Can it be because the last book that I opened is a mobi and this feature would only works with azw books (which I don't have) ?

***EDIT*** Forget this message, now it works perfectly. I don't know why it needed 5 minutes or so for the screensaver to appear, but ok, it's there.

Last edited by Biberkopf; 11-21-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Biberkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #2839
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Biberkopf: Yep, K2/3/DX + framework start == 100% CPU for a while (depending on the size of the library), and since we need a good chunk of CPU time ourselves to process the image, and we're doing that at a very low priority, it can take a while for non-cached stuff .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #2840
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I need some help to install usbnet.
I tried to install the binary and it failed, I went further more and did the following:
I converted the bin file to update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_dxg_install.bin.tgz file using the kindletool.
extracted that file to a direcory on my computer
placed the file usbnet.tar.gz from the inside the root directory of the kindle using the usb cable
created a directory customupdates
placed the file install.sh from the package into that directory.
Disconnected the usb.
used the launchpad command Shift Shift I to run the file install.sh
after I rebooted I found the usbnet directory under the root, looked inside and found the usbnetwork_install.log.
The message inside is

usbnetwork v0.46.N, Sat Jul 30 19:54:28 CDT 2011
ln: /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti: Read-only file system

So I guess the installation was unsuccessful.
Any ideas what is going on?
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #2841
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
So, still not sure of how to fix a 'corrupt userstore' - any tips? My Kindle is still out of action - not totally bricked, but not far off (it's unusable). Do I have to do a debricking, or can I fix just the userstore?

Last edited by Tanga; 11-21-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #2842
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@blaser: Don't try to be 'cute' with an update package unless you know what you're doing. (And, no, it's not packaged to work as an lp package, so, yeah, it doesn't work, nothing strange there...).

Read the first post & usbnet's doc again. (And, FWIW, when you mention an 'error', it actually helps if you actually give us a bit more details about it ^^).

Wild guess: you were rebooting instead of using the UYK link.

@Tanga: IIRC, that was just a wild guess. Can't really diagnose this kind of issue by remote mind read . Do a bit of digging, check the logs, try to pinpoint what/when happens, etc.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #2843
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
So, still not sure of how to fix a 'corrupt userstore' - any tips? My Kindle is still out of action - not totally bricked, but not far off (it's unusable). Do I have to do a debricking, or can I fix just the userstore?
Hi. does it just sort of lock up. and not respond to button presses. or load for a second then crash horribly.

Sent mine back, although it had cracks in the casing that were not my doing so yeah... they took it back for that - very decently. but it also had that issue. Never got to the bottom of it. Just FYI. although how much info there actually is there is... well ... limited.

I classed it as "Terminal"

Last edited by twobob; 11-21-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Too many I's
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2844
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Doh,

Sadly it's been more than a year since I bought my Kindle. Any other options?
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #2845
YukonTrooper
YukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3G
Kindle Collections line-spacing, additional font integration

I was just wondering: would it be possible to integrate the additional line-spacing options and fourth font option from Kindle Collections into a hack? I think those would be logical inclusions.
YukonTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #2846
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Doh,
Sadly it's been more than a year since I bought my Kindle. Any other options?
If you use linux, a simple mkfs.vfat while it was plugged in worked nicely for me...
But mine, interestingly enough, stopped crashing long enough for me to fix it from a raspberry pi I had handy...
Or you could try getting a script to run on kindle bootup somehow to erase the userstore, but then you would lose all of your books, hacks, etc (or leave them in an unstable state)...
Do you have myts installed? if you create an ENABLE_DIAGS file in / (yes, it works from the rootfs as well) and then use diags to export the userstore long enough to try and fix it...
Lots of complicated suggestions, sorry....

EDIT: If worse comes to worse, you could try and figure out a way to wipe the userstore with AT or k3flasher, but the above warning about erasing the uerstore applies.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #2847
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@blaser: Don't try to be 'cute' with an update package unless you know what you're doing. (And, no, it's not packaged to work as an lp package, so, yeah, it doesn't work, nothing strange there...).

Read the first post & usbnet's doc again. (And, FWIW, when you mention an 'error', it actually helps if you actually give us a bit more details about it ^^).

Wild guess: you were rebooting instead of using the UYK link.

@Tanga: IIRC, that was just a wild guess. Can't really diagnose this kind of issue by remote mind read . Do a bit of digging, check the logs, try to pinpoint what/when happens, etc.
If you look inside my port I quoted the error
"ln: /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti: Read-only file system"

I'm not an expert in Kindle, just bought one recently but I have a lot of experience with Linux.

I read the install.sh and figured out what it is doing and I tried to do things manually.
I guess it tries to create a hard link on a ro file system and it fails.
I do not know much about the Kindle OS.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #2848
qlob
Official Lurker

@blaser: I recommend following what NiLuJe said earlier and just do it like everyone else.

drop the bin on the root of the usb drive, use the update your kindle link in settings.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #2849
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
@blaser: I recommend following what NiLuJe said earlier and just do it like everyone else.

drop the bin on the root of the usb drive, use the update your kindle link in settings.
That's what I did initially and it failed.
I placed the bin file on the root directory through the usb and used the UYK link, it failed.
Got stuck for a long time and at the end I received an error message that the update failed.

Last edited by blaser; 11-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #2850
qlob
Official Lurker

Can you remember what error number it was? U00something?

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet