Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #241
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Correct. The GUI will only ever give you the value 1 through 6. Editting the setting file is the only way to get a greater value and then the GUI will show "Oh the humanity" and not the value you have set.
I'm sorry, Peter, I don't mean to be dumb, but as I read what you wrote, you seem to contradict yourself. I'm sure I'm not correctly understanding you. After editing the setting file, when I go to Settings --> Reading Settings --> Page Refresh, I don't see "Oh the humanity", but only 1-6. I'm wondering if the code works on firmware 2.5.1????

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #242
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I'm sorry, Peter, I don't mean to be dumb, but as I read what you wrote, you seem to contradict yourself. I'm sure I'm not correctly understanding you. After editing the setting file, when I go to Settings --> Reading Settings --> Page Refresh, I don't see "Oh the humanity", but only 1-6. I'm wondering if the code works on firmware 2.5.1????

I'm not sure. I am just going by memory and a previous f/w level. All I know is that when I did it I had 90 in the INI file and the GUI showed the text Oh the humanity.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #243
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I made an imgur album showing the settings I use when doing an epub to epub conversion for my Aura. Here it is
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #244
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure. I am just going by memory and a previous f/w level. All I know is that when I did it I had 90 in the INI file and the GUI showed the text Oh the humanity.
And it still happens with the Glo and firmware 2.5.2. I doubt if 2.5.1 is different.

@93terp: In case you made a typo in the setting, change it to something other than 6 via the device GUI. Then edit the file and change the number. The change takes effect without restarting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #245
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:

I did this trick today on a Glo with 2.5.1 and changed the number to 50 and on the Reading Settings page, it does show "OH THE HUMANITY" in the drop down box. If you click the box, it won't be an option, you'll see only 1-6 there. It's possible that "OH THE HUMANITY" is below the frame of the reader extended past the viewing area. Just click another area of the screen so you don't make a selection and the phrase comes back.

But it definitely works with 2.5.1.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #246
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Davidfor & Ripplinger - thanks for the inputs, I will give it another try. Can either one of you post what the [Reading] section of your .conf file looks like? Since it works for you on 2.5.1/2.5.2 that would be good reference info for me.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #247
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reading section from my Glo:

Code:
[Reading]
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=99
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=
readingFontSize=23
readingLeftMargin=0
readingLineHeight=1.0
readingRightMargin=0
The 99 is there from earlier.

And before anyone asks:

- The "readingFontSize=23" is what I am playing with at the moment. The device can set it to either 22 or 24. But, manually setting 23 gives a size in between.

- "readingLineHeight=1.0" is left over from before. It doesn't work. The lowest number that seems to make a difference is 1.225.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #248
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a few more entries in mine for the advanced font settings (and double font size since I'm blind as a bat and it lets me read without reading glasses ):

Code:
[Reading]
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=justify
readingFontSharpness\Georgia=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>L\xcc\xcd)
readingFontSize=40
readingFontWeight\Georgia=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87?L\xcc\xcd)
readingLeftMargin=2
readingLineHeight=1.3
readingRightMargin=2
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=50
I'm going to have to try the 1.225 for line-height and see if there's any difference. Even a bit less space between lines would be good.

Edit: I just opened mine up on the reader itself and those lines for the font sharpness and weight will be there for every font style that you've set. I was checking which font won't display <em> or even <i> correctly and set them as I checked them so I wouldn't have to bother again if I ever wanted to use them, so mine is much longer now with that info.

Had I realized that before, I could have changed the file instead setting them all by hand.

And I'm going to try setting it for my added fonts that don't have an advanced button and see if that works.

Edit: Changing the line-height to 1.225 actually did work. It gave me one extra line of text per page, so I know it's made a difference. It's a shame it doesn't allow you to go lower than that, but even 1.225 is an improvement over 1.3. Thanks for mentioning that, davidfor.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #249
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

@ Davidfor & @ Ripplinger -

Thanks for posting the [Reading] info in your .conf file. One difference I noted between your files & mine (see post #230) is that for some reason I have an extra line of code (pageTurningOption=option1) - any idea what this is and could it have anything to do with my inability thus far to change the refresh rate through the .conf file?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #250
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I'm going to guess that that setting is for which area of the screen you select in the options for your "touchy/feely" spots under Reading Settings. I never changed mine off the default at the left, and not sure if that one would be 0 or 1. You probably triggered that line to be set when you moved off default, even if you then went back to the default.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #251
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Edit: I just opened mine up on the reader itself and those lines for the font sharpness and weight will be there for every font style that you've set. I was checking which font won't display <em> or even <i> correctly and set them as I checked them so I wouldn't have to bother again if I ever wanted to use them, so mine is much longer now with that info.

Had I realized that before, I could have changed the file instead setting them all by hand.

And I'm going to try setting it for my added fonts that don't have an advanced button and see if that works.
I think I have seen that it is something about these fonts that allow the software to make the changes. But, maybe a font expert can look at them and work out what it is. Knowing that might give an idea whether this could work. Of course, it requires that the code that uses the fonts doesn't have a hardcoded list that it manipulates.

Quote:
Edit: Changing the line-height to 1.225 actually did work. It gave me one extra line of text per page, so I know it's made a difference. It's a shame it doesn't allow you to go lower than that, but even 1.225 is an improvement over 1.3. Thanks for mentioning that, davidfor.
Glad to help. I have never understood the choices Kobo gives for the line spacing. I think the default 1.3 isn't unreasonable, but there should be at least one step below it. The list of set-able line spacings is: 1.3, 1.35, 1.4, 1.6, 1.775, 1.9, 2, 2.2, 3. You can manually set any value in that range and it works.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #252
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm going to guess that that setting is for which area of the screen you select in the options for your "touchy/feely" spots under Reading Settings. I never changed mine off the default at the left, and not sure if that one would be 0 or 1. You probably triggered that line to be set when you moved off default, even if you then went back to the default.
Ah, that makes sense! I forgot about that setting. Mine is set to the option that gives the most space for forward page turns.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #253
kjh8114
kjh8114 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
the way to show the books on the cover

anyone know the way how to change a book on the cover(reading book)? i've been reading a book 'The Giver', but it has never shown.
kjh8114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #254
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjh8114 View Post
anyone know the way how to change a book on the cover(reading book)? i've been reading a book 'The Giver', but it has never shown.
Assuming this is a sideloaded book, the cover is the first page of the book. This is generated the first time it is needed. If you are using calibre, make sure the book has a cover and that it is shown as the first page. Then, send the book to the device again. Calibre will put the new copy on the device and remove the existing cover files. They should get regenerated the next time they are needed. You can also set one of the cover uploading options in the driver configuration calibre create the cover files on the device when sending the book over. If you are using the latest couple of versions of firmware and an SD card, doing the latter works around some problems with the firmware.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #255
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
@ Davidfor & @ Ripplinger -

Thanks for posting the [Reading] info in your .conf file. One difference I noted between your files & mine (see post #230) is that for some reason I have an extra line of code (pageTurningOption=option1) - any idea what this is and could it have anything to do with my inability thus far to change the refresh rate through the .conf file?

Just tried it again. This time when I opened the .conf file, the numPartialUpdatePageTurns= line of code was actually in my [Reading] section (all earlier attempts - this code was never present. Weird.) Changed numerical value to 50 and voila! I now have the "Oh the humanity!" comment in my reading settings under Page Refresh.