Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
How do you find books?

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread has been made before, but a preliminary search did not turn up anything, sorry if this has been done.

Anyways, I was just wondering how do you find the books you read? There are many, many different ways to find a book, glancing over a titles at a store, reading a review, word of mouth etc. But finding a book is different than finding a book you will read. With so many books out there, and in reality, not enough time to read them all, what prompts you to read one book over another? I have hundreds of books that I want to read, all of which interest me as much as the other, but in the end, I know I will ignore some and read others. So how do you find books?

For me I am a member of librarything almost primarily for there recommendations. Not that they are any better then other sites that recommend books based on titles you have read, just that out of the systems I have tried it has warranted the most success. Even then, a lot of the recommendations are based more so on similar subject matter than anything else and that doesn't always mean you will like it.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
This is such a good question (and one dear to my heart) that I will answer it tomorrow (I'm sorry but I am really sleepy!), because it deserves a thorough answer. I would write an essay on the topic, if I had the time, and I am always on the prowl for new ways on choosing my next read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Many, perhaps most, of the books I end up buying have been referenced in other books I've read. In addition, sometimes websites I frequent will mention books of interest. My interest in some of the books I've read recently was generated by other MobileRead Forum members.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I read a lot of fanfic, and that's got a much better rec system than most ebooks. I know how to find good fanfic even in a fandom completely new to me; finding good ebooks is harder.

I start with any book that catches my eye--interesting title & blurb, or whatever--and google for recs of the book or the author. Sometimes I look for recs of the publisher, because small indie ebook-publishers tend to publish content of similar quality levels, even if not all of it is to my tastes.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I take a look at every book and author (in the genres I prefer) that gets mentioned here in MobileRead. Added to my own personal favorite authors, that keeps me pretty well stocked.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
If it's not an author I already know and trust, I like to randomly browse stores (physical and digital). I admit that I am influenced by the cover, irrelevant as it may be, and then by the title. If these two seem interesting enough I look at the synopsis and maybe the author's bio. I may even read the first paragraph or a random sentence to make up my mind (in a brick and mortar bookstore that is, otherwise I download a sample if there is one). I have tried to use recommendation sites but I found they don't work so well for me. And of course I take recommendations from friends, people on the internet I have come to sort of trust, and even books themselves, if they reference other works. Sometimes even something completely irrelevant I look up, say, on wikipedia, can lead me to a book. Apart from my favourite authors, it's quite a random process.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm a slow reader, so I've become very choosy about what I download. At first, I got overwhelmed with my "to be read" list until I stopped grabbing everything that was available. And although it was not planned, I've developed a habit of regularly stopping everything and limiting MR time until I clear out my TBR list every few months. And if I start a book and it doesn't grab me pretty quickly, then it's outta here. There are too many good reads out there to waste time on something that is not enjoyable.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Go to the book store and look at paper books until I make up my mind which I want, then I go home and search for it in ebook. I like the quickness and atmosphere of real bookstores more than anything. Plus, covers have alot to do with grabbing my attention.

At the end of the day I buy which ever is cheaper. I am not a slave to either format nor will I pay more for one format over another. All that matters to me is reading the book. Used book stores, and their 50% off cover price, has done more to keep me reading paper than anything else.

The other thing I do is peruse Amazon by genre and check out the highest rated ones. Helps a little.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Umm, here's two points I forgot to mention before.
I have a strong preference for debut novels. For one, I like supporting new authors, and I generally find that debut novels have something fresh and daring that others don't. Why bookstores don't have a debuts section is beyond me.
Another factor in my book choices is country: I like reading books by authors from all over the world. The differences in style of writing and way of thinking are intriguing. I have found countries that I tend to like the general style of their authors, and buy from them again and again. But I am always more than willing to try any author from a country I never read about before.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
[quote=omk3;692892]Umm, here's two points I forgot to mention before.
I have a strong preference for debut novels. For one, I like supporting new authors, and I generally find that debut novels have something fresh and daring that others don't. Why bookstores don't have a debuts section is beyond me.
quote]

Oh Boy, have I got a great site for you! Try www.bookviewcafe.com It has both newer and experienced writers. I've found lots of great new authors there.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Well, I have a couple of things:
-There's authors that I love and will read all of their books (I read a lot of mystery, romance, and fantasy).
-For ebooks, I often check out the freebies and if it looks remotely interesting, I'll download it and then usually read more from that author.
-I'm a member of goodreads, and I often get good recommendations from there.
-I read blogs, the goodreads newsletter, and also enjoy browsing what is new on the main page of the Sony site. I also just recently bought Edward Rutherfurd's "New York" in ebook form after clicking an ad for it on GoodReads.
-And, of course, I get lots of recommendations on here

I read anywhere from 15 to 25 books a month, so I need lots of recommendations
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
omk3
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh Boy, have I got a great site for you! Try www.bookviewcafe.com It has both newer and experienced writers. I've found lots of great new authors there.
Thank you DixieGal! It seems the emphasis is more on the fantasy and science fiction genres - not my favourites, but then I never say no to a good book. It's bookmarked now, and I will definitely consult it when I'm looking for my next book.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Many books that I've enjoyed came from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10108 If you have a particular author you like check out Literature-Map http://www.literature-map.com/ "What Should I Read Next" http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/search may also help.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I listen to a cultural radio station while driving to and from work. Some programmation is reserved to readings, invited authors and critics.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Generally look at my favourite genres and then continue on from there :X
Mobile Mason is offline   Reply With Quote