Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
PametnaGlavca
PametnaGlavca began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 650 ultra
Romance.

Hey guys!

I'll just be short and sweet. Can you please recommend me a few ( at least fifty ) romantic novels with beautiful, wonderful, and timeless love stories that have captured your hearts and made you believe in the power of true love ?
PametnaGlavca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you have preferences as to sub-genre?

*Historical? Contemporary?
*Sweet? Spicy? Muy caliente?
*Paranormal? Fantasy?
*how much romance? a little (romantic suspense, romantic fantasy) or a lot?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
In historical fiction try Hope Leslie by Catharine Maria Sedgwood, first published in 1847.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is a wonderful love story:

"Lassie Come Home," by Eric Knight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lassie Loves You.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	153665  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #5
PametnaGlavca

Thanks for answering my question with a question. : ) Yes, I do have preferences. I'd really love to have a huge list of historical romance books ( not from Goodreads ), and could care less about paranormal, classical, and too spicy romance.
As I mentioned, I'm searching for books with very beautiful true love stories, and not a book with a love story like Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey. : )
Advert
Old 12-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Have you read Georgette Heyer or Loretta Chase? Georgette Heyer's are historical/(her) contemporary and have good histories / humor. And Loretta Chase's books are good one too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
PametnaGlavca

I haven't. Thanks for the suggestions, Terisa. I'll check them out. I'm currently absorbing Julia Quinn's "The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever", and I'm loving every banter between Miranda and Turner, and cannot wait for them to truly fall in love. If you have any other suggestions with truly beautiful love stories, I would really appreciate them, since I don't find a list with a love story from Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey not even a little bit credible.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PametnaGlavca View Post
I'd really love to have a huge list of historical romance books ( not from Goodreads )
You should pop in to the Romance bargain & discussion thread in the bargains forum here, you'll likely get lots of suggestions there.

If you like series...
Richard and Rose series - Lynne Connolly
Romney Marsh series - Kasey Michaels
Daughtry Family series - Kasey Michaels
Scoundrels of St. James series - Lorraine Heath
Wallflowers series - Kisa Kleypas
Pennyroyal Green series - Julie Anne Long
Bridgertons series - Julia Quinn
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Grace Burrowes is my current favorite historical romance author. And she has quite a few books in her backlist. (She does have one contemporary series, but I haven't read it).

Some of her books are published by Sourcebooks and some are self-published - I haven't noticed any particular difference in quality, but there is a difference in price. Her new book released last week is priced $7-8, but her self-pubbed tend to be $4.

Her website lists 65 books (!!) in release date order, but they actually overlap quite a bit. If you prefer chronological order when possible, you can look at her FAQ which will give you a suggested order as of the time she created it. (I'm not sure whether it includes her most recent releases).

No, I don't know her personally or work for her. I have written her an email or two about how much I enjoy her heroes. I'd call her heroes "beta heroes" rather than "alpha heroes". They're not the domineering type you find in some romances.

There can a lot of angst in the stories, so you might not want to read them one after the other without anything in between.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by R.A Dick is a good read with a romance part of the story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Grace Burrowes is my current favorite historical romance author. And she has quite a few books in her backlist. (She does have one contemporary series, but I haven't read it).

Some of her books are published by Sourcebooks and some are self-published - I haven't noticed any particular difference in quality, but there is a difference in price. Her new book released last week is priced $7-8, but her self-pubbed tend to be $4.

Her website lists 65 books (!!) in release date order, but they actually overlap quite a bit. If you prefer chronological order when possible, you can look at her FAQ which will give you a suggested order as of the time she created it. (I'm not sure whether it includes her most recent releases).

No, I don't know her personally or work for her. I have written her an email or two about how much I enjoy her heroes. I'd call her heroes "beta heroes" rather than "alpha heroes". They're not the domineering type you find in some romances.

There can a lot of angst in the stories, so you might not want to read them one after the other without anything in between.
I have read my first Grace Burrowes book. Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish. She writes really well, and does not bang on with the hero's girth. You've described her books very well. I intend to read more of her stuff.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
One Perfect Rose by Putney
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not normally a romance reader but the historical The Far Pavilions by M M Kaye captivated me from start to finish. Epic story telling.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I second Georgette Heyer. She's a bit uneven, I'd suggest trying "Venetia", "Frederica", or "Cotillion".
Note: "The Grand Sophy" is marred by blatant anti-semitism -- there's a minor villain who fits just about every racist stereotype about jews you can imagine.

You've read Jane Austen, I assume?

Of modern authors, my favourite is Courtney Milan. "The Governess Affair" is free right now.

If you're willing to try science fiction: "Local Custom" by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. They've written a lot of books from the same universe. Not all of them are romances, but this one is. (They're all good -- at least all I've read.)
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 AM   #15
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I have read my first Grace Burrowes book. Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish. She writes really well, and does not bang on with the hero's girth. You've described her books very well. I intend to read more of her stuff.
Glad you enjoyed it! You have lots of backlist to choose from. It's hard for me to say which are my favorites...I did like Lady Sophie's story. I think it remains a toss-up between The Virtuoso (the first Grace Burrowes book I read) and David. I know there's another particular favorite that I read after David, because at the time I read it, I remember trying to decide if I liked the story better that David...but it's 5AM and it's just not coming to mind at the moment. I guess I'd better go to bed!