Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Question about editing PDF's, please help!

HI
I am not very computer literate and have run into a problem that is frustrating the heck out of me. I downloaded the nitro pdf converter program and can take a pdf and delete pages. The problem comes when I try to convert that pdf to epub in calibre. Whats happening is that I edit the pdf (for example remove the table of contents)and save it (or export it with a different name) and then add it to calibre and convert it to epub when I do so the pages I deleted are there again. I can't figure out how to get rid of this. When I open an edited pdf I always get the message "this item points to a page that was removed from the item" . There must be a way to make deleted pages gone forever isn't there?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
single650
single650 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Try turning the PDF into word. A good package is:

http://download.anypdftools.com/anyb...-word_free.exe

Nigel
single650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would use a different program to remove the pages from the PDF. NitroPDF frankly looks like a huge waste of money. Everything it can do you can do for free.

Actually, calibre comes with a program that can split and merge PDFs, and hence, remove pages (pdfmanipulate), though I'm not sure it's very user friendly for those who aren't used to command lines.

If you want to try to do it with pdfmanipulate, let me know and I'll try to help

Perhaps a more user friendly way of trying it would be to use a virtual PDF printer. There's a free open source one for Windows called pdfcreator. If you install it, you'll then have a "printer" on your computer which will actually save a PDF instead of printing to paper anything that you send to it.

You could then use that to remove pages from a PDF by opening that PDF in any PDF viewer which can print (e.g., Adobe Reader or FoxIt or SumatraPDF), and then tell it to print the range of pages you want to keep, using the virtual printer, and you'll get a new PDF with just those pages.

Might be worth a try.

I suggest that because it's a fairly no-brainer solution. Personally, I use tools like pdfmanipulate from calibre, or pdftk, but they are command-line or shell programs, which scare off a lot of people, although they're more powerful (but free).

Conversion from PDF to another format, as single suggests, is also a possibility, but I've never had much luck with any of the converters I've tried. Don't let that stop you from trying them for yourself, however.

Last edited by frabjous; 04-07-2010 at 07:48 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote