Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
Splitting the Bible into Multiple Files

I found a way to split the Bible into different files. It does take some time, but a lot less than doing everything manually. It took me about 1 1/2 hrs. However, my directions apply to linux, but there may be a way to apply the basic idea to Windows/Mac.

What you need:

Each chapter in its own file, in numerical order. (I used an epub, renamed the extension to .zip and extracted it. All of the files had some name and ended with a number ranging from to 0 to 1189 like name1, name2 etc. Note: The first file of Psalms was an extra one I had to delete.)

The program GPRename

Create a master folder to hold all the books (like "Bible") and if you want make two folders inside it called "Old Testament" and "New Testament"

If you're using linux, then in the terminal type:

cd /home/<insert username>/Bible/Old\ Testament (substitute whatever filepath you have)

mkdir Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers Deuteronomy Joshua Judges Ruth 1\ Samuel 2\ Samuel 1\ Kings 2\ Kings 1\ Chronicles 2\ Chronicles Ezra Nehemiah Esther Job Psalms Proverbs Ecclesiastes Song\ of\ Songs Isaiah Jeremiah Lamentations Ezekiel Daniel Hosea Joel Amos Obadiah Jonah Micah Nahum Habakkuk Zephaniah Haggai Zechariah Malachi

then type:

cd ..

cd New\ Testament

mkdir Matthew Mark Luke John Acts Romans 1\ Corinthians 2\ Corinthians Galatians Ephesians Philippians Colossians Thessalonians Thessalonians Timothy Timothy Titus Philemon Hebrews James 1\ Peter 2\ Peter 1\ John 2\ John 3\ John Jude Revelation

Then using the # of chapter list below, take the first 50 files and put them in the Genesis folder, then once they are moved, the next 40 into Exodus etc.

# of Chapters per Book
Genesis 50
Exodus 40
Leviticus 27
Numbers 36
Deuteronomy 34
Joshua 24
Judges 21
Ruth 4
1 Samuel 31
2 Samuel 24
1 Kings 22
2 Kings 25
1 Chronicles 29
2 Chronicles 36
Ezra 10
Nehemiah 13
Esther 10
Job 42
Psalms 150
Proverbs 31
Ecclesiastes 12
Song of Songs 8
Isaiah 66
Jeremiah 52
Lamentations 5
Ezekiel 48
Daniel 12
Hosea 14
Joel 3
Amos 9
Obadiah 1
Jonah 4
Micah 7
Nahum 3
Habakkuk 3
Zephaniah 3
Haggai 2
Zechariah 14
Malachi 4

OT Total 929

Matthew 28
Mark 16
Luke 24
John 21
Acts 28
Romans 16
1 Corinthians 16
2 Corinthians 13
Galatians 6
Ephesians 6
Philippians 4
Colossians 4
1 Thessalonians 5
2 Thessalonians 3
1 Timothy 6
2 Timothy 4
Titus 3
Philemon 1
Hebrews 13
James 5
1 Peter 5
2 Peter 3
1 John 5
2 John 1
3 John 1
Jude 1
Revelation 22
NT Total 260

Entire Bible 1189

Once that is done, open GPRename navigate to the Genesis folder, then click the "Numerical" tab.

In the text box for "Insert before numerical number" type "Genesis" and in the "and after" text box, type in ".html" if the files are htm or html or ".txt" if they are txt.
Then press preview, and make sure the number of files corresponds to the number of chapters, then press rename. Continue process for each book changing the name of the book in the first text box.

Note: the files with 0 to 9, had to be renamed 01, 02 etc same thing with 98 and 99 I think. Those are the only problem numbers.

Then transfer the files to the jetbook, JBL, or whatever. Note that the books will appear in alphabetical order, so if that bothers you, instead of typing in "Genesis" type in "1 Genesis" "2 Exodus" etc. It will look goofy, but it should put them in the right order.

Also, it is a little annoying to have change books for each chapter, but since the files are so small, it shouldn't take much longer. The upside is, you can navigate straight to any chapter you want. Also, the Bible no longer takes forever to open

Last edited by SciFiGal777; 03-27-2010 at 08:38 PM.
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
If you have KJV (public domain), perhaps you should post your work here for others to use. Personally I use NASB in PDF format. It's formatted the same as the regular printed text and has PDF Table of Contents for each chapter. Books are in one folder and numbered like 01: Genesis, 02: Exodus... 66: Revelation. The downside I see with your method is that you would have to go back to the book listing when advancing from chapter to chapter.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
So hyperlinks work on .pdf? P.S. I used NASB.
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiGal777 View Post
So hyperlinks work on .pdf? P.S. I used NASB.
PDF has Table of Contents in the menu.

I spent a loooooong time working on the PDF's myself... copy and pasted the text, formatted the headings, the margins, the page size, page breaks, adding bookmarks for TOC... more than 1.5 hours I suppose, but at least I was able to put my programming skills to use and automate a bunch of stuff. Made in OpenOffice with help from AutoHotKey and then exported to PDF.

Last edited by Kralik; 03-27-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote