Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have some questions.

Can someone provide some sample topics that would get posted in this new forum?

When discussing this issue in the thread that started this pole I mentioned wanting a forum that I could start threads like the following --

College textbooks -- are current readers inadequate
An idea for book publishers
Illustrations in ebooks
A list of great ebook related sites
A proposal to modernize copyright laws
The case for digital piracy

However, it was pointed out that these kinds of threads should be started in the "News and Commentary" forum. Is this true? Or are these the kind of topics that will be posted in the New Forum? Or is the intention for the New Forum to have non-ebook related posts that aren't of a banter type nature?

If a new forum is added, I liked MOd BOb's suggestion about voting on the forum's name.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I have some questions.

This would be a "non-ebook" topic forum similar to the lounge. So topics:

A great banana bread recipe
Should eminent domain be for "any purpose"
Should marijuana be legalized
Would putting the US back on the gold standard work
Thoughts on the new Star Trek movie

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Voted #2. Problem with a serious off-topic forum is that I doubt it'll get browsed as often--if I do have a question, I want casual browsers who are looking for lounging to at least get the opportunity to answer if the subject title catches their eye. And the same goes for when I'm looking to lounge and a serious subject happens to catch my eye...
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Thanks BOb, that helps a lot.

I've decided that in this case I don't have a dog in the hunt, so I'll leave it up to the users of the Lounge.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I'm still yet undecided. I would like to have seen the option to leave things as they are.

I have no problems traversing the many forums in MR and picking up on the threads that interest me; but I realize the debate is over.

At some point I'll probably vote for whichever option effects me the least. (Very Selfish of me, I know.)

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I'm still yet undecided. I would like to have seen the option to leave things as they are.
voting for the prefix is as close to voting for "leave things as they are".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #22
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I was leaning toward option 1 but, I am now unsure.

I thought that the "News and Commentary Latest on e-books, e-paper, DRM and related technologies" section was for relating current news topics and comments related to that specific news article.

My understanding was that topics of the nature that Daithi brought up were to be for the new section as they were more member thoughts and ideas not necessarily based on a specific news post but a variety of current issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I have some questions.

When discussing this issue in the thread that started this pole I mentioned wanting a forum that I could start threads like the following --

College textbooks -- are current readers inadequate
An idea for book publishers
Illustrations in ebooks
A list of great ebook related sites
A proposal to modernize copyright laws
The case for digital piracy

However, it was pointed out that these kinds of threads should be started in the "News and Commentary" forum. Is this true? Or are these the kind of topics that will be posted in the New Forum? Or is the intention for the New Forum to have non-ebook related posts that aren't of a banter type nature?

If a new forum is added, I liked MOd BOb's suggestion about voting on the forum's name.
I don't agree that the new section should have non-ebook related volatile topics such as the quick examples that pilotbob mentioned.
Topics should have some connection to how members would use these device-related topics. Recipes, craft ideas/patterns, gardening.. these could and are compiled and made into pages for personal devices. These topics could be seen as ebook related.

Starting threads for topics such as:Should marijuana be legalized?, Would putting the US back on the gold standard work?, and others of this nature could and probably would quickly become very heated and insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This would be a "non-ebook" topic forum similar to the lounge. So topics:

A great banana bread recipe
Should eminent domain be for "any purpose"
Should marijuana be legalized
Would putting the US back on the gold standard work
Thoughts on the new Star Trek movie

BOb
OK, that was my two cents (probably worth less now I still think that there is some confusion about what the "new section" would contain that would be different other than "not silly/ not seriously off-topic".
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
voting for the prefix is as close to voting for "leave things as they are".

BOb
I don't think so, Bob
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I vote for #1 and getting rid of the "silly" prefix as it won't be necessary anymore. If you're in the lounge it will be a given that the threads are mostly silly. If you're in the "salon", things will be a bit more subdued.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #25
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I vote for #1 and getting rid of the "silly" prefix as it won't be necessary anymore. If you're in the lounge it will be a given that the threads are mostly silly. If you're in the "salon", things will be a bit more subdued.
I'm hoping it doesn't pan out like that. I'd hope that the Lounge would carry on as before, with a mix of topics and tone - and a tolerance of wandering off-topic occasionally. With the Salon for more disciplined discussion.

I wouldn't like to see a thread get lifted-and-shifted out of the Lounge because it wasn't flippant enough to stay there.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I wouldn't like to see a thread get lifted-and-shifted out of the Lounge because it wasn't flippant enough to stay there.
That should absolutely not be happening. It's up to the thread starter to decide where his thread belongs to as long as it fits the theme of the section.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm hoping it doesn't pan out like that. I'd hope that the Lounge would carry on as before, with a mix of topics and tone - and a tolerance of wandering off-topic occasionally. With the Salon for more disciplined discussion.

Fair enough but I get tired of seeing so many threads with the "silly" label when I sort by new posts. Sometimes, it looks like a sea of blue tags.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
That should absolutely not be happening. It's up to the thread starter to decide where his thread belongs to as long as it fits the theme of the section.
Thanks - that's reassuring.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #29
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I agree with option 1 -- but "Salon" doesn't in any way imply serious to me. Is this a USA difference? "Salon-Seriously" would help! Or something else.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #30
Sparrow
Wizard

I think 'salon' is being used in the sense of an intellectual gathering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_(gathering)

But I'm not sure a name has actually been decided - so it may just be a place holder for now.