Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
ellisha77ca
ellisha77ca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ellisha77ca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ellisha77ca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo; Kobo Touch
Kobo Processing Content

I hope this isn't a duplicate post, I looked and couldn't find anything on my particular issue.

I loaded 1500 books onto my MicroSd card through Calibre. It worked fine eventually (after many unsuccessful attempts, uninstalling and reinstalling the Calibre software, formatting the SD card and doing a factory reset of the kobo touch).

I am still having an issue. The Kobo (once unplugged) will start processing the content of my SD card, it will go up and down the percentage and can sit there all night long and never finish.

I know some people on here have 2000 or 3000 books on their kobo, how do I get my kobo to read these books? I know I shouldn't need that many books on at one time, but if it can read a 32GB sd card, why not load all the books I have (I'm only at 1.2GB)?

Last edited by ellisha77ca; 05-03-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: I found my post confusing and wanted to add more information
ellisha77ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Vormulac
Vormulac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Kindle 3G
I tried loading a couple of hundred books on the sd card and had the same issue. I think the moral of the story is that there isn't enough power on board to handle the sd card (and it slows the thing down), so remove your sd card and enjoy a faster more reliable Kobo. Ask yourself what I did, 'How many books do you really need on one of these things?'
Vormulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The other advice is to load the books in smaller chunks; and if the unit hangs loading a set of books, go on the assumption that one of them is corrupt and try to narrow down which is the bad book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The other advice is to load the books in smaller chunks; and if the unit hangs loading a set of books, go on the assumption that one of them is corrupt and try to narrow down which is the bad book.
I recommend the same.. Also keep a folder on your computer to backup the contents of your SD BEFORE you add anything. That way if the SD card goes bad with the new additions you'll have a backup of the state your card was in before it went south.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
ellisha77ca
ellisha77ca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ellisha77ca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ellisha77ca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What about an epub validator? Can I use one of those to make sure my files are not corrupt, or are they not so reliable?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just had another thought.. some people have had issues related to the number of image files that the Kobo Touch creates as it adds books to itself.

For each book you get (I think) 5 distinct image files made; of these (as far as we know) the
- N3_FULL
- N3_LIBRARY_SHELF
- N3_SOCIAL_CURRENTREAD
are not needed.

Now, when you have more than a certain number of files (some claim 7500) in the images directory, problems occur.

So try this... Add books in chunks of 500. After the Touch has processed those books, go and drop the unneeded images. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174388 and take a look at the batch file attached to post 4. You might have to alter it if your Kobo is on a drive other than L.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Zimbu
Zimbu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Zimbu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Zimbu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisha77ca View Post
What about an epub validator? Can I use one of those to make sure my files are not corrupt, or are they not so reliable?
It's not just whether the book is "corrupt" or not. Some ePubs are perfectly valid, but give the Kobo a hard time due to the complexity of the markup or CSS inside the ePub. These files might validate fine, and work no problem on a PC, but a single book can take the Kobo many, many minutes to process. The O'Reilly ePubs are one notable example, but I'm sure there are others.

Best advice is to definitely load the books in chunks. If you do, say, 500 at a time, keep going until you run into problems. Then remove the last 500 books you added, and add the first 250 of those back on. See if the problem occurs. if so, repeat. Delete the 250 and add the first 125 back on, and so on. Eventually, you'll find the book(s) that are causing problems.
Zimbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
ellisha77ca

Thanks for your help. I reloaded the books each letter of the alphabet at a time. I found 1 book in the M's that caused the issues.

After each upload, I let the Kobo process the content, plug it back into the computer, delete the ghost files and then did the next set.

I think though, if that one file hadn't have been bad it would have loaded up correctly. Whew! what a pain. Thanks for your tips, they really helped
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
I went through all this factory setting blah blah because I am having that exact problem loading books to the main memory ....... I did a lot of editing with Sigil. Although it was just deleting extra pages from epubs, I am now wondering if THAT is causing the problem. Sigh. I can't even load a couple of dozen books, never mind 500. Oh well, off to do them 3-4 at a time! (Glad to know it's not just me.)
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content, kobo, micro-sd, processing