Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
Kindle 3 on order?

I assisted my Aunty in ordering a Kindle 2 today. The order went through well, but the Kindle is listed as estimated shipping after 9th August. I think that this is what happened when the Kindle 2 orders began. So, I think that her order might actually be for a Kindle 3. What do you think?
Also, we ordered an Amazon Kindle 2 cover at the same time. Will Amazon contact her if the cover will not fit the Kindle 3 (if she does in fact have a Kindle 3 on order)?

Jodi
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
kornhill
kornhill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Well, if you can order the 3 with US$189, you are in luck.
kornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I thought the Kindle 3 was going to be the same size as the 2? If that's true, your case should still fit.

Interesting that they don't have any 2s in stock. Must have sold out with all these price reductions.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Perhaps much of the existing Kindle 2 stock was shipped to retail -- Target, etc?

However, when I log into amazon.com, I am offered the Kindle 2i, in stock. So, I wonder ... is there a confusion over Kindle 3 and 3G capability? The Kindle 2i is now described as:

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Not to hijack the thread, but this seems like a related question...how exactly did the Kindle 2 appear? What I mean is, did it just appear on Amazon's site like the new graphite DX just did or did they hold a press event like Apple does? I guess what I'm asking is, will we see the Kindle 3 coming long before it arrives or does it just pop out of nowhere?
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Perhaps much of the existing Kindle 2 stock was shipped to retail -- Target, etc?

However, when I log into amazon.com, I am offered the Kindle 2i, in stock. So, I wonder ... is there a confusion over Kindle 3 and 3G capability? The Kindle 2i is now described as:

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation
same thing happened with the old Kindle DX.
I suspect that the new 6" Kindle will have same color (graphite) as the new Kindle DX.
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Hmmm you are right there only links for the kindle 2 refub and used. Look like kindle 3 coming before august
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
I assisted my Aunty in ordering a Kindle 2 today. The order went through well, but the Kindle is listed as estimated shipping after 9th August. I think that this is what happened when the Kindle 2 orders began. So, I think that her order might actually be for a Kindle 3. What do you think?
Also, we ordered an Amazon Kindle 2 cover at the same time. Will Amazon contact her if the cover will not fit the Kindle 3 (if she does in fact have a Kindle 3 on order)?

Jodi
I just went and put a K2i in my cart and went through everything but the final stage of the checkout and am told...

FREE Standard Shipping (3-5 business days)
FREE Two-Day Shipping --get it Thursday, July 8!
$3.99/item One-Day Shipping --get it Wednesday, July 7!

...so I'm not sure why it would tell you August for a ship date unless it has something (although I can't think what) to do with it shipping internationally.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
millydog
Connoisseur

The international Kindles are packaged differently. The International Kindle to Australia is at least. It doesn't include a power supply, just a USB cable.
I only saw the August shipping date after we had finished placing the order. If I go to amazon.com right now it still says that it is in stock. It was only after we placed the order that we were given the August shipping date.
The shipping date was definitely August, but after I posted, I actually started wondering if it was the 7th or 9th. I didn't save her log in details on my computer so I couldn't double-check the date.....but it was definitely August. It gave a date range....for example...ships between 9th August and 15th August.

Jodi
Old 07-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

...so I'm not sure why it would tell you August for a ship date unless it has something (although I can't think what) to do with it shipping internationally.
There is rampant (and well-founded) speculation that Amazon will be announcing a new Kindle in August. That's what they're talking about. They're not talking about the existing product you can currently order.

Amazon has officially said nothing. In fact, they're more secretive about upcoming product than Apple.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by malligator View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but this seems like a related question...how exactly did the Kindle 2 appear? What I mean is, did it just appear on Amazon's site like the new graphite DX just did or did they hold a press event like Apple does? I guess what I'm asking is, will we see the Kindle 3 coming long before it arrives or does it just pop out of nowhere?
it was kind of like Santa had paid a visit. we woke up one morning with sparklie announcements of the new kindle release THAT DAY!!!! in our in boxes!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
The international Kindles are packaged differently. The International Kindle to Australia is at least. It doesn't include a power supply, just a USB cable.
I only saw the August shipping date after we had finished placing the order. If I go to amazon.com right now it still says that it is in stock. It was only after we placed the order that we were given the August shipping date.
The shipping date was definitely August, but after I posted, I actually started wondering if it was the 7th or 9th. I didn't save her log in details on my computer so I couldn't double-check the date.....but it was definitely August. It gave a date range....for example...ships between 9th August and 15th August.

Jodi
I am in Australia and made an order today (but didnt finalise it) and it said delivery would be by 9th July. By the 7th if I wanted to pay express.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
Rob612
Rob612 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am not sure what is going on. What i can tell is just 3 days ao (June 30th) i ordered from Europe - where my Amazon account is - a K2i (the only one available atm, guess it works anyway in the US) for an US friend, tied to my own Amazon account and shipped to an US address, and it was delivered yesterady morning as expected. Must have been one of the very last ones in stock, i guess.
Rob612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
millydog
Connoisseur

Pushka, the same happened here.....it didn't show up with the August time until the order was finalised though. I asked my husband's Aunty today if she got a confirmation email and did it have the August date in it and she confirmed that it did.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornhill View Post
Well, if you can order the 3 with US$189, you are in luck.
My thoughts exactly.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote