Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #91
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
Someone said earlier that most people are bound to be disappointed because "you can't please everyone". This is absolutely true. The only thing that would have made me personally run out and buy the 700 would be a WiFi connection. I feel like the kid that didn't get the number one thing on my Christmas list!
I agree with you 100%. The only thing that I have ever really wanted for the 500 or 505 is Mac compatibility or whispernet. Both of these options would make it possible to use the reader without the use of Windows. Just so that I don't get a thousand replies... I know calibre is out there.

Anyway, with more selection and no computer needed, I think I will move on to the Kindle soon.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #92
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
The only thing that I have ever really wanted for the 500 or 505 is Mac compatibility...
Hear, hear. All Sony would have to do is hire two decent Mac programmers to port the Ebook Library over to Mac. Why do they not understand? Mac support = more potential customers = bigger market share = more money.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #93
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I started a wiki page. It is very preliminary but does have a picture. PRS700 is its name.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #94
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
All Sony would have to do is hire two decent Mac programmers to port the Ebook Library over to Mac. Why do they not understand? Mac support = more potential customers = bigger market share = more money.
I've always wondered if it might be a matter of the fact that they make PC's, and obviously don't make Macs. I've gotten the impression on several occasions that the anti-Mac decision is ... higher.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #95
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I use my finger on my Trēo 680 regularly, it works pretty well there.
The Treo is not a capacitive touchscreen; it's a membrane. Works OK with stylus or finger as long as you aren't trying to hit a tiny target with a big, irregular finger.

The capacitive touchscreen is not conductive, and it does not require a battery-powered (or bio-powered) item in contact, and it will not respond to a thin stylus electrically coupled to your body (at least the capacitive touchscreen on my iPhone won't) in contrast with what others and what Wikipedia says.

A capacitive touchscreen responds when something with an electrical charge or charge capacity gets close to it. It's all a matter of shifting electrons with a non-contact electrical field. FYI, I just triggered my iPhone screen with a plastic lens-cleaner body by pushing the broad edge of it against the screen. Probably had to do with the material having a static charge on it different from the screen and inducing a shift of electrons.

The broadness of the area affected is key to triggering these capacitive touchscreens. iPhone styli are available and they have broad, mushy tips. Not sure about the material composition, but they're not specifically conductive.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #96
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok... so are we saying the eInk screen is smaller than the 505 screen? Or is it the same size?

BOb
I am sure it is the same size.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #97
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
Hear, hear. All Sony would have to do is hire two decent Mac programmers to port the Ebook Library over to Mac. Why do they not understand? Mac support = more potential customers = bigger market share = more money.
Why don't they just do it with a standard browser interface and a standard browser plugin to handle the DRM like everyone else does? then it would be easily cross-platform portable, AND WOULD ACTUALLY PERFORM WELL.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #98
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I've always wondered if it might be a matter of the fact that they make PC's, and obviously don't make Macs. I've gotten the impression on several occasions that the anti-Mac decision is ... higher.
Even then all they really need to do is make the store web-based. Since the 505 acts as a storage device you could download the content from the web with an embedded code based upon your username that will work with your registered reader. Once downloaded drag and drop... voila!
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #99
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Even then all they really need to do is make the store web-based.
They could even run it on Google Gears for offline usage as well.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #100
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, preachin' to the choir here, guys!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #101
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
I have HTC TytN II (Kaiser) and navigation there without stylus is pain in the ...
I've often run into the same problem, and have found SPB Mobile Shell Incredibly useful.

It actually makes it finger friendly for most things, and i only need to drop into stylus territory occasionally.

Add PocketCM Keyboard, and you hardly need the stylus.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #102
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Some passages from the PR.
Quote:
Five pre-set text sizes are available so readers can find the one most comfortable for them and for those who need an even closer look, zooming in is as easy as tapping the screen.
Quote:
Expanded memory offers enough capacity to store about 350 average digital books.
For PRS-505 it was "160 books" so I guess they roughly doubled the flash memory size.
Quote:
Like its close relative the PRS-505model, the new 700 model uses minimal power and can sustain up to 7,500 pages of continuous reading on a single battery charge.
I guess that's without the light, but probably including the touch screen. So I think they either used a more efficient CPU or a bigger battery.
Quote:
And, at about 10 ounces, it’s the perfect way to carry all of your favorite books with you wherever you go.
IIRC 505's weight is stated to be "9 ounces". So it's a bit heavier but not by much.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #103
ronfel
ronfel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I was going to trade up my 500 in a few weeks. I wonder if I can get the $100 credit towards the PRS700?
ronfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #104
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Nice evolution. Not enough for me to throw away my 505 but probably enough to make me upgrade if mine breaks. Integrated front light? Someone at Sony was listening.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #105
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
LOL The perfect new product! I really like it, but at the same time there's nothing that makes me regret having gotten my 505. If it had been a bigger screen, though...
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front light, frontlight, prs700, sony reader, touch screen, touchscreen