Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #9361
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Only in math problems can you buy 60 cantaloupes and nobody asks what the hell is wrong with you...

Stitchawl
What's wrong with 60 cantaloupes? I have once bought pi fourths of a circle to build my new house upon... maximizing the size of the property vs. the cost

I'll be back with a question as soon as I can think of one

Last edited by Iznogood; 09-28-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #9362
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All right. Then I have a question. And guess what - there's math involved here also. But it's not advanced math, rest assured...

Here goes:
A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a dark night and there is only one torch between them. Only two people can cross at a time.

Person A takes a minute to cross.
Person B takes 2 minutes to cross.
Person C takes 5 minutes to cross.
Person D takes 10 minutes to cross.

How do they all cross before the bridge collapses?

Bonus question:
It was very late yesterday night I worked on Fbones question, and I made a big mistake. A mistake so big I had foul nightmares about this all night. In my answer I listed all the possible combinations of integers whose product was 72, or at least I thought I did.

But after thinking about it, I now see I missed 50% (sic(k)!) of the possible combinations. Who can find the missing possible ages of the children?
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #9363
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
But after thinking about it, I now see I missed 50% (sic(k)!) of the possible combinations. Who can find the missing possible ages of the children?
You've missed the "1" as in 1 * 6 * 12 or 1 * 8 * 9 (I refuse to regard 1 * 2 * 36 or 1 * 1 * 72 as possible answers )
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #9364
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
You've missed the "1" as in 1 * 6 * 12 or 1 * 8 * 9 (I refuse to regard 1 * 2 * 36 or 1 * 1 * 72 as possible answers )
Yes, I missed the "1" when I factorized. Please don't tell my professor

1 1 72
1 2 36
1 6 12
1 8 9

are possible solutions, although the two first are a bit farfetched, as you say. There are still two possibilities not mentioned yet in the thread. THere should be a total of six combinations of ages containing a one-year-old
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #9365
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Then 1 * 3 * 24 and 1 * 4 * 18 have not been mentioned yet, with the same caveats and I don't know if they count as children for the census.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #9366
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes, I missed the "1" when I factorized. Please don't tell my professor

1 1 72
1 2 36
1 6 12
1 8 9

are possible solutions, although the two first are a bit farfetched, as you say. There are still two possibilities not mentioned yet in the thread. THere should be a total of six combinations of ages containing a one-year-old
1 3 24
1 4 18
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #9367
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here goes:
A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a dark night and there is only one torch between them. Only two people can cross at a time.

Person A takes a minute to cross.
Person B takes 2 minutes to cross.
Person C takes 5 minutes to cross.
Person D takes 10 minutes to cross.

How do they all cross before the bridge collapses?

A&B cross: 2 min
A comes back : 1 min
C&D cross: 10 min
B comes back: 2 min
A&B cross: 2 min

Total time: 17 mins.

The way to work it out is this. There must be three crossings and two crossings back. One of the crossings must take ten minutes. The two crossings back must take at least two minutes in total. That only leaves a maximum of five minutes for the remaining two crossings. If C is doing one of those crossings, that leaves no time for the final crossing.

Therefore, C&D must cross at the same time. But neither can come back, as that would use up more than the time available.

So, neither C nor D can do the first crossing, so A&B must, and one of them must come back. Then, since C&D must cross together, they must do the next crossing, and the other one on the far side must come back. And then A&B cross together again. Either A comes back first and B comes back second or vice-versa. It makes no difference to the overall timing.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #9368
Iznogood
Guru

Billi correctly found the six remaining solutions to the possible ages of the children (even though, "children" might not be the correct term of all possible solutions), and the Grand Mouse quite correctly managed to rescue all the four people over the falling bridge. Well done and over to you, pdurrant
Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #9369
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Name the pet(s) of these cartoon families:

The Simpsons
The Flintstones
The Jetsons
The Griffins
The Hills
The Addams
The Pickles
Old 09-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #9370
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

The Simpsons
The Flintstones
The Jetsons
The Griffins
The Hills
The Addams
The Pickles
Right, so if we take the 'pet' to be x and assume that x trends towards theta, then y must be the binomial of the square of the number of families. Add that to the 60 canteloupes that Stitchawl mentioned and we get;

The Simpsons - Santa's Little Helper
The Flintstones - Dino
The Jetsons - Astro
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #9371
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
and assume that x trends towards theta
This assumption is only correct when family sanity of x' family trends towards zero or family insanity (the inverse of family sanity) trends towards infinity

The Griffins' dog is called Brian

Last edited by Iznogood; 09-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #9372
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The Simpsons - Santa's Little Helper
The Flintstones - Dino
The Jetsons - Astro
All correct. But Santa's Little Helper isn't the Simpsons' only pet.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #9373
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The Griffins' dog is called Brian
Correct.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #9374
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The Simpsons
(1) Santa's Little Helper Bilbo1967
(2) Snowball Bilbo 1967
The Flintstones Dino Bilbo1967
The Jetsons Astro Bilbo1967
The Griffins Brian norway1456
The Hills
The Addams
The Pickles

Bold families have all the pets named (in my opinion).

4 points to Bilbo1967
1 point to norway 1456

It's still anyone's game, with many more than four points left.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-29-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #9375
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Is the Simpsons' cat called Snowball?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote