Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
DIY Kindle Cover

Hi Folks,

Just got a new Kindle 3G/Wi-Fi and decided to hack together my own cover. It ran me about $10 for parts and took me about 2 hrs (though I'm not very crafty and it could be much quicker for folks with more skillz). So far, it's been working great--the Kindle is secure, the cover folds back nicely, and the hard cover has protected it well during the day.

I posted it to Instructables, but I'll include some pictures below.
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Kindle-Cover/

Please feel free to let me know what you think might work better in future iterations. I'd like to figure out how to do one that has a reading light built in, but this will take some planning.

Read on,
djulian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1117100839a.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	61470   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117100837.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	61471   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117100839.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	61472   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117100031.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	61473  
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
Very cool!
CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkDad View Post
Very cool!
Thanks CD! I just got an e-mail from Popular Science, and I think they might feature it in a DIY section. Kinda pumped about that.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You've done a really neat job there - like the way the Kindle is neatly held in place with the elastic.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
txoof
txoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3
I'm working on my own DIY lighted kindle cover. I'll definitely be referencing your Instructable! Thanks!
txoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
That looks great! All the details, like the felting inside, are wonderful.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Looks really good, and I like the fact that it will be less likely to be stolen - not many thieves would target a kids' book
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
txoof
txoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with others

Thanks for the inspiration! I used what you showed here to make my own K3 hard cover, but with frikin lasers. OK. No lasers, but LEDs. Those are kind of like lasers, right?
Check out my DIY K3 Lighted Cover Hack here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Kindle-3-DIY-Light/
Old 02-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Thats interesting but it looks like the kindle sticks out at the bottom?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
txoof

Ahh, that's just a shadow. Perhaps I should replace it with a better shot.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
djulian
Evangelist

That looks sweet, txoof! I'll check your instructable.

For interested readers, my instructable made it into this month's Popular Science:
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...ok-reader-case
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
That looks sweet, txoof! I'll check your instructable.

For interested readers, my instructable made it into this month's Popular Science:
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...ok-reader-case
Very nice! Good job!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote